Ashton United friendly

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

Personally don't want Hunt at left back. Really upsets the balance of the team and I don't think he offers enough going forward.

How did Andy Taylor do? Fits the bill in that he has a left foot, is experienced and has played the majority of his career a level up.

Did ok, but not outstanding. hard to say as he didn't have much time at left back moving to centre back later.

9 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Alan Hardy couldn't speak highly enough of FB & AR and seemed very up beat about things.

ALs brother was also there enjoying the World Cup semi final supporting Belgium, think AL is still in Russia.

And one for the older ones, Bernard Halford ex latics secretary and life President of MCFC was also there enjoying a drink with Alan Hardy.

The game was just a run out really,  I think the young lad from Sheff UTD could be a big hit, he may only be 17 but you wouldn't think it.

Pitch wasn't great due to the weather, very hard and bobbly. FB actually considered calling the game off yesterday but after meetings with officials decided to go ahead as long as both teams were cautious.

Decent turnout of 378, mostly Tics.

Good to see Alan in fine settle after his health problems.

Very approachable and the link up with FB and AR brings back memories of the good old days which I feel we may be on the verge of again.

I agree about the young centre back and liked Gardner in an attacking midfielder role.

Not sure if he will remain there though with Byrne in contention.

However, Baxter, Byrne and Gardner would probably be the best technically in this division. I can see Fane doing well at that level too as a ball winner who's told to keep it simple.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Do we know for sure Byrne is staying here?

No, I'm pretty sure he will want off but there are two real issues one being the wedge he is on in League 2 and a questionable attitude at times which will put some clubs off, there was talk of Peterborough being interested but that seems to have cooled.

33 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Enough how many did you watch. I am not his greatest fan like most on here. 

I didn't see any, which is why I've not commented on his performances last season. I'm genuinely interested to know exactly how many times you watched him "live" last season to form that opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong in believing he's not up to the mark, but what performances are you basing it on?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Good to see Alan in fine settle after his health problems.

Very approachable and the link up with FB and AR brings back memories of the good old days which I feel we may be on the verge of again.

I agree about the young centre back and liked Gardner in an attacking midfielder role.

Not sure if he will remain there though with Byrne in contention.

However, Baxter, Byrne and Gardner would probably be the best technically in this division. I can see Fane doing well at that level too as a ball winner who's told to keep it simple.

Yep Alan Hardy looked really well, and as I said he was over the moon with Frankie Bunn & Rhodes involvement.  Hopefully they can all install a different attitude and get the players enjoying the game and enjoying playing for us.

The center back I feel will be a big favorite if last nights glimpse is anything to go by. I know it was just a training match but he looks ready to go, even at 17 yrs old.

Gardner shows a good touch and a technical ability, how that is used remains to be seen but I like him and hope that Gardner, Byrne and Baxter are the 3 main men behind a goalscorer if we can find one, or maybe Baxter behind Holloway although for all his endeavor he doesn't score enough goals.

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Which aspects of his game do you feel have regressed?

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Which aspects of his game do you feel have regressed?

His shot stopping was not as good as when he played for us. Maybe it was who was coaching him that made the difference. Under Rhodes he could do well again for us. 

33 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I didn't see any, which is why I've not commented on his performances last season. I'm genuinely interested to know exactly how many times you watched him "live" last season to form that opinion. I'm not saying you're wrong in believing he's not up to the mark, but what performances are you basing it on?

I saw him play for Burton against us in a Cup game. I saw him play for Bury against us at Bury and I saw three or four other Bury games in which he didn’t have good games. 

2 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I saw him play for Burton against us in a Cup game. I saw him play for Bury against us at Bury and I saw three or four other Bury games in which he didn’t have good games. 

Sometimes a player just fits a club.

Maybe we are the club he fits best and gets the best out of him.

I would have him back if it was an option.

Just now, maximus1267 said:

Sometimes a player just fits a club.

Maybe we are the club he fits best and gets the best out of him.

I would have him back if it was an option.

Like I said in a previous post it could be who was coaching him that made the difference. Perhaps Rhodes could get his shot stopping back into form again. 

Just now, Smiler13 said:

Like I said in a previous post it could be who was coaching him that made the difference. Perhaps Rhodes could get his shot stopping back into form again. 

Yep I agree with that.

Have I missed something tho, is there a possibility of him returning ?

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Yep I agree with that.

Have I missed something tho, is there a possibility of him returning ?

Yes if we pay Middlesbrough 250 grand for him which I don’t think is going to happen. 

Just now, Smiler13 said:

Yes if we pay Middlesbrough 250 grand for him which I don’t think is going to happen. 

Thats what's been reported but I reckon they'd be open to offers with a hefty sell on clause and a buy back option, only problem could be wages because he will be on decent dough with Boro.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Anythings possible and if we are looking for a keeper and I hope we might he would top my list.

Fingers crossed then, I think he would be a great signing but I think a goalscorer is more important than the GP position for next season, Doyle or Rowe maybe.

Who knows maybe Ripley and Doyle. That would be nice

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Fingers crossed then, I think he would be a great signing but I think a goalscorer is more important than the GP position for next season, Doyle or Rowe maybe.

Who knows maybe Ripley and Doyle. That would be nice

If we added just those two I'd be delighted.