Another member of the French foreign legion

7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

The hotel part is a bit bogus.  Are you saying we should only sign players who live within travelling distance? Otherwise it’s the same problem if we sign someone from Paris or Portsmouth. 

Of course I'm not but for a club with an infrastructure in place where wages are regularly paid late and non playing staff appear to be being jettisoned left right and centre I'd suggest building a squad with at the last count twelve different nationalities could best be described as foolish, whose taking on this work load then?

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Even the very best foreign imports who are Internationals take time to adjust to the game in Britain, very few come over and hit the ground running and I will guarantee you now that these lads will be shocked by the intensity of the football played and physicality in League 2 , look at the YouTube clips of these two and they have been playing in grounds with one stand watched by a couple of hundred people and the chances of them showing anything early doors is remote.

Even more important for me though is the stretch on resources that these signings will place on the club, it's not like they live in Bury or Bradford, these lads will be living in hotels, need to be ferried around and effectively living out of suitcases, it's a massive culture shock for them and will be difficult psychologically more than anything else regardless of what potential and ability they possess. 

Communicating instructions and building team spirit amongst all this is going to be near on impossible and Bunn and Rhodes will be wasting half their time fire fighting with an oversized squad coupled with inadequate facilities and resources.

This transfer policy is nonsensical on every level and that's before you even consider AL's piss poor record with regards to the talent he's already 'treated' us too.

Pretty much spot on

Before I get beaten with the ‘negativity’ stick, I hope the two latest signings from the French lower leagues are successful and I really don’t want us to get relegated again! I can’t comment on the ability of these individual players, but I have an idea of the level they’ve been playing at. The quality of the French League falls away massively below the top two divisions. I’ve seen a bit of football in their 3rd Division, Championnat National (Red Star of Paris) and it was piss-poor, slow and a lot less physical than anything we’ll see next season. These players are coming from 1 or 2 divisions below that, amateur leagues probably not even at Evo-Stik level.

Given the problems AL’s signings had adapting to League 1 last season, these two hardly fill me with confidence – Placide, Maouche, Omrani and Menig especially had all played at a much higher level. It’s not as if they’re young prospects either (24 and 25 respectively). I hope they prove me wrong, but I think it’s fair to be concerned if this is the route AL is determined to go down.

1 hour ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Placide and Nepo out of all his signings made the most appearances... I think you can blame the rest and an incompetent manager for our relegation more

So Placide and Nepo are proof that this transfer strategy works?

13 hours ago, madlatic said:

AL former agent lots of contacts brings a few over for FB to check out , manager likes the look of them says sign them ..... why is that a problem sounds like a good way of getting good players on the cheap 

Assuming thats happened then fine although their were suggestions that the players brought in last season weren't necessarily checked out by the manager.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

The hotel part is a bit bogus.  Are you saying we should only sign players who live within travelling distance? Otherwise it’s the same problem if we sign someone from Paris or Portsmouth. 

Maybe worse are players driving long distances, can be very tiring and stressful.

You take a player from the lower level French league and play him in a game against an English lower level team.  The net result seems to be that he did OK but you still have no idea how he will do in League 2.  We just have to hope it isn't going to be deja vu.

7 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Funny, I thought the single biggest reason was finishing with less points than all the team's above the bottom four 

The data rated us as better than that so you'd think there were contributory factors that determined our finishing position.

It is my belief that the biggest contributory factor was the foreign players and their remuneration causing resentment and divisions in the dressing room.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The data rated us as better than that so you'd think there were contributory factors that determined our finishing position.

It is my belief that the biggest contributory factor was the foreign players and their remuneration causing resentment and divisions in the dressing room.

"The data rated us as better than that"??? Jesus best email the football league and tell them they've made a mistake and put us back up. Promotion without kicking a ball you'll be a hero!!

We were relegated because we were complete dog shit since Christmas, no one said a thing about the foreign lads when Wellens was doing so well at the start 

Just now, Buckshawlatic said:

"The data rated us as better than that"??? Jesus best email the football league and tell them they've made a mistake and put us back up. Promotion without kicking a ball you'll be a hero!!

We were relegated because we were complete dog shit since Christmas, no one said a thing about the foreign lads when Wellens was doing so well at the start 

I'm sure it is just a coincidence but our data was never better than it was between September and November...

Just now, deyres42 said:

I'm sure it is just a coincidence but our data was never better than it was between September and November...

We also wernt playing Byrne on the left or a donkey like Pringle or dropped Nepo (foreign lad) for reasons only Wellens knows during that period either.

Data doesnt get you relegated. Points or lack of do and we didnt get enough

5 minutes ago, yarddogs said:

He really didn’t but his contribution against Portsmouth at home was outstanding 

He was ace that game. Pompey fans cheered every time the ball went near him - says it all. Class above.

19 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Neither did the inspired signings of Pringle and Mcelleny who the manager wanted 

Yep - relegation should be a shared responsibility among all the players.  But we've got rid of the manager who bought in some of the players that took us down yet we're sticking with the "French Foreign Legion" recruitment strategy that also took us down. You would think if we got rid of one cause for bringing in players that got us relegated, we'd get rid of the other.. 

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

They didn't exactly help us stay up, either!

That’s because we had a prat of a manager who would not play them. He would play the likes of his mate Pringle and his Celtic mates protege Benyu and his Irish wonderful player McEleny who he raves about but was as shit as any player I’ve seen in an Oldham shirt for many a year

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Yep - relegation should be a shared responsibility among all the players.  But we've got rid of the manager who bought in some of the players that took us down yet we're sticking with the "French Foreign Legion" recruitment strategy that also took us down. You would think if we got rid of one cause for bringing in players that got us relegated, we'd get rid of the other.. 

How can you blame the French players Wellens never played them. Are you crazy.