Another member of the French foreign legion

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

That’s because we had a prat of a manager who would not play them. He would play the likes of his mate Pringle and his Celtic mates protege Benyu and his Irish wonderful player McEleny who he raves about but was as shit as any player I’ve seen in an Oldham shirt for many a year

The facts are Pringle 13 appearances McEleney 4 Benyu 3. The majority of fans saw Pringle as a good signing it just didn't work out andWellens dropped his "mate". Benyu only played that many games because he had to be played at the end of the season after AL suspended Fane.

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Single biggest reason for relegation despite not playing.

Nope. Not having that. Letting your club captain and only true leader that isn’t an injury or sending off waiting to happen leave in January was the single biggest reason.

56 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Nope. Not having that. Letting your club captain and only true leader that isn’t an injury or sending off waiting to happen leave in January was the single biggest reason.

That was done to get the wage bill down in order to be able to sign the likes of Doyle. He didn't exactly do much to keep Bury up did he. I remember lots of people on here saying Clarks legs had gone.

6 minutes ago, al_bro said:

That was done to get the wage bill down in order to be able to sign the likes of Doyle. He didn't exactly do much to keep Bury up did he. I remember lots of people on here saying Clarks legs had gone.

There’ll be another topic on here debating all that. And no, it wasn’t to get Doyle in. It was reported it was to get Matt Mills in but it fell thru. His legs hadn’t gone. Playing a shit formation & Gerrard alongside him had him caught short. Others will disagree. This is all on past topics. 

For me, his departure (irrelevant what happens elsewhere in another team, with another manager and other players) was the single biggest reason. Not blaming the #frenchlads Just his desire to win and leadership would’ve had us in far better shape than the kids and crocks he left behind. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

It was always going to be Gerrard or Clarke last season and never both. Wellens chose Gerrard so made sense to move Clarke off the wage bill.

Glad it's looking the other way round this season. He's a superb captain and plays for the team rather than his own ego.

Agree he looks in superb shape this pre season. Hopefully he's still got another good year left  at this level.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OAFCKeepTheFaith said:

Clarke will be key for us this season.

He’s in unbelievable shape and looks up for it!

Said the same last week, I know he is the consummate professional but he looks as fit and ready for this season as he has in a long time, coached Missilou through the game today and protects the youngsters in the team admirably, you have to say if we'd of had him around for the last couple of months of the season we would of gained the win or two we needed.

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

It was always going to be Gerrard or Clarke last season and never both. Wellens chose Gerrard so made sense to move Clarke off the wage bill.

Glad it's looking the other way round this season. He's a superb captain and plays for the team rather than his own ego.

Agree he looks in superb shape this pre season. Hopefully he's still got another good year left  at this level.

I can see the reasons why we may have chosen Gerrard over Clarke. Younger, probably on less of a wage for a couple.

We really did miss him though when Gerrard was injured

4 hours ago, al_bro said:

Why didn’t Wellens offer Gerrard instead to Bury. Let’s face it he always finishes the season injured or can’t he be bothered, lazy git. However Gerrard was one of Wellens buddies. No wonder we went down.

3 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Why didn’t Wellens offer Gerrard instead to Bury. Let’s face it he always finishes the season injured or can’t he be bothered, lazy git. However Gerrard was one of Wellens buddies. No wonder we went down.

Erm because they might not have wanted him?

Lets face it Gerrard is at the club now its because no other club wants him.

Clarke was Burys captain before he came here so they probably would have wanted him.

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Erm because they might not have wanted him?

Lets face it Gerrard is at the club now its because no other club wants him.

Clarke was Burys captain before he came here so they probably would have wanted him.

As manager you never offer another club your best defender

37 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I’m far from wellens biggest fan, however I’m sure that 90% of fans were happy to keep gearrard as he was younger that Clarke who the same 90 %said Clarke’s legs had gone.

The same 90% now have the benefit of hindsight to back up their claims.

Relegation could and should have been avoided even if Gerrard and Wilson had gone with Clarke 

Edited by archiecat

None of us would have voted to move Clarke on without a replacement which is what in FACT happened so that with an injured Gerrard we were ultimately left short.  However the biggest problem was and remains Abdullah.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kowenicki said:

The hotel part is a bit bogus.  Are you saying we should only sign players who live within travelling distance? Otherwise it’s the same problem if we sign someone from Paris or Portsmouth. 

Gundawan is living "out of a suitcase " in a city center hotel didnt have a bad season for city last time did he ?

11 hours ago, Hands on said:

None of us would have voted to move Clarke on without a replacement which is what in FACT happened so that with an injured Gerrard we were ultimately left short.  However the biggest problem was and remains Abdullah.  

Abdallah was not the biggest problem last season. 

He bankrolled the club from Sept. 

He bought in the managers 3 main targets of Byrne, Bryan and Doyle. 

AL may prove to be the Messiah, or a very naughty boy, but this season has not started yet. 

18 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

That’s because we had a prat of a manager who would not play them. He would play the likes of his mate Pringle and his Celtic mates protege Benyu and his Irish wonderful player McEleny who he raves about but was as shit as any player I’ve seen in an Oldham shirt for many a year

18 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

How can you blame the French players Wellens never played them. Are you crazy. 

I actually think you might be AL.

42 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Wish he’d say to the public us fans his plan is to go up

Just imagine he's said it !

It really doesn't matter what anybody does or doesn't say, it's his actions that will speak volumes. I don't get the obsession of some supporters with the need for bland pointless statements of alleged intent. Would "we'll try really hard to get promoted this season" suffice or just be a rod to beat him with.