Latics season previews

Didi Hamman writing in the Racing Post tips us to go up after 'good summer spending' . In the paper's main preview it says we can rely on Byrne. My point about poor research by tipsters stands. 

Edited by Dave_Og

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Watch the video 

Cant I’m at work 

So they write 9/2 for the playoffs but say relegation on the video. Says more about the shitty journalism than it does about the accuracy of either odds then 

Edited by Buckshawlatic

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What is it about our own 'fans' having a wank every time someone predicts gloom. Fucking strange behaviour trawling the Internet for such bollocks.

Just as many looking to take offence at any preview suggesting we might not walk the league...

Just now, yarddog73 said:

What is it about our own 'fans' having a wank every time someone predicts gloom. Fucking strange behaviour trawling the Internet for such bollocks.

What on earth are you babbling on about? I've hardly gone out of my way to look for it - it's literally on Sky Sports' football homepage. 

This thread is about season previews. Sky Sports are by far the biggest football news providers in the entire country so I thought it'd be quite a relevant one to post. 

Whatevs.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Just as many looking to take offence at any preview suggesting we might not walk the league...

Yet to read a preview that's factually correct yet, seem like a load of guess work to me whether we are tipped for promotion or relegation.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yet to read a preview that's factually correct yet, seem like a load of guess work to me whether we are tipped for promotion or relegation.

Fair point, more unknowns surrounding us than most.

I'm not sure how anyone sensible could come to the conclusion that we look equipped to challenge at the top end though.

All these predictions about us suffering double relegation needs playing to the players.  

Siege mentality from the off; We’re League 1 standard let alone League 2, we went down on the final game last season and we have players who should be playing at a much higher level.  Get Byrne’s head in the game and he’ll be in the team of the year come next May.

FB will no doubt be turning this into a massive incentive to prove everyone wrong.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

There are 4 or 5 here who thrive on bad news of any sort... cant post it quick enough.  I'd say they even seek it out.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

I'm not sure how anyone sensible could come to the conclusion that we look equipped to challenge at the top end though.

My reasoning that we may win more than we lose is based on several things,

Takeover which hung around at the start of last season has been completed, still some fallout from that but we should be a little more settled.

FB & AR are a real positive for us who genuinely want the best for the club and despite uncertainty have created a real positive vibe around the place.

AL in terms of recruitment seems to have left it to FB and AR, players brought in seem to be of good character and are known and respect the back room team.

Excuses trawled out before a ball was kicked last season have been banished from thought, positive mental attitude seems to be the order of the day.

Our squad on paper appears as strong as recent seasons to me, physical and we'll suited to the rigours of League 2 football.

We have competition for every position on the pitch particularly if we sign up Cotterill who could be a real asset.

Bad eggs have been moved on and the players who destabilised us last season have been shown the door.

Only negative for me is the Jack Byrne situation which really needs sorting, if he wants to play for the club and can respect the values FB and AR are trying to instill he needs bringing back into the fold asap, he really could be AL's golden ticket and a stand out player in this division.

On the face of it a lot of whats improved isn't quantifiable so most 'pundits' can't measure or get a feel for it but trust me it's as important if not more important than the 11 you send out onto the pitch, that's why I'm optimistic and feel like we can turn a corner, okay we may fall short but on the eve of a new season surely now is the time to believe and get behind the lads?

Edited by yarddog73

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Or that we're consistently being touted as bottom 2. I honestly am really surprised people think we'll be that poor, and not sure where that's coming from. Maybe 1+1 (recently relegated + off field shite) = 3 (relegation), with no consideration of players in and out / new manager, etc?

I'm fairly confident that we won't go down even if we do have an awful season. We're definitely better than two other teams in this league. Mind you, Chesterfield and Orient fans will have thought similar.

8 minutes ago, maddog said:

Or that we're consistently being touted as bottom 2. I honestly am really surprised people think we'll be that poor, and not sure where that's coming from. Maybe 1+1 (recently relegated + off field shite) = 3 (relegation), with no consideration of players in and out / new manager, etc?

It's a good point we didn't even finish in the bottom two of League 1 and finished some way ahead of the other three who took the drop so it is a little mystifying. 

I don't want to be jumped on here as another naysayer as mentioned earlier in the thread but one negative for me so far is that we STILL don't seem to be able to pay our players on time which is frankly disgusting, made even worse when some at the club stand up and try to defend it.

Otherwise think yarddog73 got it pretty spot on. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

33 minutes ago, maddog said:

With all respect to the players that have come in I'm not sure we will have been beating off other clubs with a stick to secure their services.

That's not to say that they can't add up to be greater than the sum of their parts.

I don't think we will go down

I'm happy with the midfield we have I think it looks strong on paper Gardner and Missilou could be a really strong pair in the middle.

The defence is OK it depends on how Peter Clarkes body holds up over the course of the season, I think this might be a season too far for him. Their are too many question marks about what we have upfront Surridge seems a player with potential but I wouldn't want to rely on him purely for goals. Miller, O'Grady and Benteke's records over the last 3-4 years worry me atleast 1 has to really step up if we are to challenge. What we learned from 21 seasons in league 1 is that you don't need a 20 goal a season striker to stay up however to go up you do need one. If a decent striker had been brought in (no it was never going to be Doyle) but someonelse who we can more readily rely on for goals uptop, I'd be looking at aiming for the play offs, however that hasn't happened so I think its mid table for us too many question marks over the squad over all and  it requires a lot of "IFs" to come true for us to reach promotion level.

But I'm willing to accept its much harder to call than normal, tomorrow will be a good test for us as MK should be one of the front runners start well against them and who knows.

What Opinion shall I adopt with regard to the new signings ? ?

Should I..

a) Go for the ‘I don’t think they are any good but am happy to be proved wrong’.

I can’t lose with this as if they turn out to be no good then i can say ‘I told you so’ and if proved wrong I can hold up my hands and enjoy the pats on the back for ‘being big enough to admit that I was wrong’

b) Go for the ‘They are as good as we are going to get given our current financial status and standing in the league pyramid’ - whatever happens I can’t lose here too - whatever they turn out to be I’m covered

c) Go for the ‘These are decent signings; Ishmael Miller is ex Premier, back and hungry to succeed’ Nah... this is the hardest to defend and whatever happens I can’t win

or

Should I wait to see how they perform out on the pitch?

No brainer really ?

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I'm not sure how anyone sensible could come to the conclusion that we look equipped to challenge at the top end though

After years of listening to United, City , Leeds, Blackburn fans telling us how shite and tinpot we are,  I now for the first time in my life hear this from Rochdale fans for feck sake.

To make this even worse you come on here and hear the same posters saying it over and over again, all supposed to be latics fans.

I may not be sensibly enough qualified to predict we will do well next season in your opinion but I say it as a fan of 41yrs who still looks forward to every season and even though deep down I realise we are not great but the fan and kid in me wants me to say we will have a good season, make improvements as a club on and off the pitch and hopefully get promoted.

I'm not stupid, I know this may not happen but that's what I want and that's what I will predict.

If this doesn't happen and we have a bad season I wont be reaching for the rope for god sake its just football.

There is enough negativity outside of the club in the media and on other forums, some of this negativity will be fueled by some of our own fans constant pessimism.

I'm glad sometimes I'm up here in Cumbria and only get to read the shite instead of constantly having to listen to it also.

• Like 1

I don't gamble but for some perverse reason I look up the bookies promotion/relegation odds before each season. I don't pretend to know or understand the formula they use but for the last 5 or 6 seasons they have had us down for relegation. History tells us the formula is fairly accurate. 

This term they have us (yesterday's odds) at 9th favourite for both Champions and top 6. 

With 552 games yet to be played (I think), millions of passes to be made, a few thousand shots on goal and the woodwork struck around a thousand times I think the bookies have the edge on us.

I am therefore optimistic we will be in contention for promotion come April.

What point or advantage is there to thinking otherwise.