"We should have stayed up"

Frankie Bunn and Andy Rhodes mentioned this a couple of times at the Meet the Manager event the other night.

Like most of us I agree.

But I keep reading people tweeting or posting that it's important that we keep certain players who "should have stayed up" and would be a blow to lose them. 

A different management team will produce different results from players but does the fact that players should have been good enough to avoid relegation from League One necessarily mean they'll be good enough to get promoted from League Two? I don't think so.....

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 1

I think that we have a slight advantage of a settled squad nucleus of players who have played together for a season. My concern is we need solid additional players to add to said nucleus to make it a promotion winning side. Start losing more of the nucleus, the more we'll edge towards the position of last year with lots of incomings that will need more time to gel. The odd addition is fine providing it's not a complete overhaul promoting instability. The players we have are capable. The question is can Bunn get a tune out of them all? 

I agree there would be a lot of overlap in the Venn diagram of players who should have been good enough to stay up and those good enough to go up but it wouldn't be uniform. 

PS Typo. 

Edited by rudemedic

2 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

I think that we have a slight advantage of a settled squad nucleus of players who have played together for a season. My concern is we need solid additional players to add to said nucleus to make it a promotion winning side. Start losing more of the nucleus, the more we'll edge towards the position of last year with lots of incomings that will need more time to gel. The odd addition is fine providing it's not a complete overhaul promoting instability. The players we have are capable. The question is can Bunn get a tune out of them all? 

From what I've seen he's got them on song so far.

I'm quietly confident for this season but I'm totally realistic to expect it could fall to shit quite easily. The longer we remain in Division 2, for me it'll just increase the likelihood on us going into non-league. Really do need an immediate bounce back and get a long-lost feelgood factor in around the club.

I think we lost one of our last nine at the back end of last season despite several appearing to down tools, on that basis I think we should do okay with the players Bunn has retained adding Clarke back into the mix, my only worry is up front where you really need a good return from someone and I've yet to see that in preseason, our defence/midfield on paper would be as good as any in the division. 

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

We had a good defence under Robinson, it’s useless without something uo the other end 

Not exactly useless - without those clean sheets wed have been down, its just that had McKay actually been a striker we may have actually done something

21 minutes ago, latics22 said:

My point is we won’t be going up on a defence alone 

Well obviously yes, but the fact of the matter is last season we scored as many goals (58) as charlton and plymouth who finished 6th and 7th which suggests had we defended well we would have gone into that final game at Northampton fighting for a play off spot rather than survival.

Back to the original point well if you look at the squad we let 7 go at the end of the season plus 6 loan players Davies Holloway and Mclaughlin have all moved on so thats 16 players that have been moved out plus potentially Gerrard maybe on the way too thats 17.

However we have to make sure we dont throw the baby out with the bath water the likes of Byrne Gardener Clarke Dummigan Nepo Hunt and some of the youngsters like Hamer and Edmondson should all be very good league 2 players atleast. I still think we are 5 new faces short of a squad that can challenge for promotion but we have had a big turnover in staff over the summer its just that the squad we had was so big and full of deadwood that it doesnt necessarily feel like it.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I'd still rather have good players who underperformed last season than ringing in a bunch of average L2 players. 

Maybe if we weren't a shambles off the field for most of the season (takeovers, managerial changes, players not getting paid on time on numerous occasions), some of those players would have performed better.

There's quality in the squad, no doubt. Although I think we'll regret letting Davies go. Especially if his replacement is Chris fucking O'Grady. That's not a swap I'd have taken if offered.

5 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

I'd still rather have good players who underperformed last season than ringing in a bunch of average L2 players. 

Maybe if we weren't a shambles off the field for most of the season (takeovers, managerial changes, players not getting paid on time on numerous occasions), some of those players would have performed better.

There's quality in the squad, no doubt. Although I think we'll regret letting Davies go. Especially if his replacement is Chris fucking O'Grady. That's not a swap I'd have taken if offered.

The biggest improvement is that the Manc has gone. 

3 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I doubt that there’s much difference between L1 and L2. Lots that came up didn’t seem to struggle. 

On Racing and Football Outlook ratings we are top ranked.

Obviously they are frozen from May but it might be the only time we are top of anything so I'm taking it!

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think we lost one of our last nine at the back end of last season despite several appearing to down tools, on that basis I think we should do okay with the players Bunn has retained adding Clarke back into the mix, my only worry is up front where you really need a good return from someone and I've yet to see that in preseason, our defence/midfield on paper would be as good as any in the division. 

Are they winners though? 

To keep drawing when just one or two wins were so vitally important says not... 

Edited by HarryBosch