O’Grady Signs

Just now, steveecky said:

It’s hard to feel positive about two strikers with a combined total of 11 goals in 167 appearances since 2014. At least Benteke is young enough to improve.

A lot of that time spent on the bench in the championship though no? In the case of O'grady since 2014 he has played for Sheff United, Notts Forrest, Brighton (who paid 2mill for him) and Burton. At a guess most of that will have been in the champ and bar Burton he was not a regular. Not like he has been playing 36 games a season in the league 2.

He's clearly not been great for Chesterfield but given the clubs he has been at and that the coaching staff have worked with him I'll back him to do well.

7 minutes ago, steveecky said:

It’s hard to feel positive about two strikers with a combined total of 11 goals in 167 appearances since 2014. At least Benteke is young enough to improve.

Benteke has lots to learn and could come good alongside an experienced striker.  I am satisfied that FB knows a decent striker and I am happy to accept his decision to give him a contract.  If the lad from Bournemouth comes too, it's a good mix of youth and experience to start the season.

3 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Here's a radical idea; let's see how he performs over the first month or so of the season and then decide whether he's crap (or, actually, quite good for League 2), unless you've already made your mind up, of course.

Stop making such a sensible suggestion! After all this is OWTB.

:computer:

2 hours ago, Whitts said:

There will be many games when you need a target man to hold up the ball just to take the pressure off.  He may not be prolific but he is good at shielding the ball and bringing others into the game.   I think we still need someone to score the goals but O'Grady can do a job alongside a Baxter, Benteke or the lad from Bournemouth (If he signs).  Let's not write him off just yet.

Problem being he's looked like he couldn't even hold his cock up in pre season never mind a football, it's not negativity it's opinion, he's been gash in pre season and needs to improve sharpish, he looked unfit and off the pace against part time footballers so although I've not wrote him off yet I have severe reservations.

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Problem being he's looked like he couldn't even hold his cock up in pre season never mind a football, it's not negativity it's opinion, he's been gash in pre season and needs to improve sharpish, he looked unfit and off the pace against part time footballers so although I've not wrote him off yet I have severe reservations.

Never give your true opinion on here ??

What I will say about O'Grady from his interviews is he seems a good lad to have around and looks as if he will be zero trouble - whatever he is asked to do. Which will be part of the reason Bunn/Rhodes have signed him as they know and trust the lad.

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

What I will say about O'Grady from his interviews is he seems a good lad to have around and looks as if he will be zero trouble - whatever he is asked to do. Which will be part of the reason Bunn/Rhodes have signed him as they know and trust the lad.

He does come across very well for a footballer. Sounds almost articulate which isn't found often these days 

• 5 months later...

Totally agree, looks a different player the last few weeks and must be pushing for League 2 player of the month for December with his six goals, fair play to him. His effort and attitude was never in doubt I just thought he was very limited ability wise but he's very good for a good few weeks now, thought he was struggling before he went off today with an injury but I'm sure he'll be in the squad at Craven Cottage. 

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Totally agree, looks a different player the last few weeks and must be pushing for League 2 player of the month for December with his six goals, fair play to him. His effort and attitude was never in doubt I just thought he was very limited ability wise but he's very good for a good few weeks now, thought he was struggling before he went off today with an injury but I'm sure he'll be in the squad at Craven Cottage. 

Agreed. He was knackered today though. 

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Came off with a calf injury - he said so to Wild asking to be subbed.

Hopefully something that can be sorted by Sunday.

Think options if not. Benteke I suppose although I don't think he has even made the bench for quite some time