Placide leaves

1 minute ago, archiecat said:

That's what i meant Mike, people on here !

I can't understand why some thought he had a great command of his area and seemingly had the ability to pick crosses out of the air at will.

There were times he was frightening to watch.

If I'm honest, his distribution, punching and catching the crosses were his best attributes of not a big list.

I'm still having nightmares about Ruddy in goal against Rotherham.

• Like 1

When we went on that run just after Wellens took over he was our most important player and we wouldn't have done anything like as well without him. Our game was built of the speed with which we could break and that was largely down to the way he played.

I would love to know what went wrong because we quickly stopped playing that way. It is easy to say that other teams learnt how to stop us but I don't think that was the case, we just changed how we were playing.

When it boiled down to his goalkeeping ability, he was found out too many times and so I am pleased to see someone else, who hopefully is a better shot stopper, in our starting line up. 

Good luck to him. He was such a big part of what was (for a short period) the best football we have played in years. 

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Won't be missed at all by me and one of the reasons (Placide instead of Ripley) that we went down.

Think we'd have stayed up with a better keeper but also think we'd have stayed up if Placide had played under Sheridan.

Didn't Shez say he was a second/third choice keeper when we signed him? Was a lot better than what we had last season. Was a decent keeper for us, important in the away game at Rochdale. The main reason we went down was because we couldn't win a game in how many at the end of the season, don't believe Johny cost us in those games, the outfield players couldn't deliver when it mattered most. Think he made a number of assists as well, not bad for a keeper.

If he was on 4k a week here then it's far too much for us to be paying out and I'm sure he'll have gone so the wages can be better spent elsewhere.

2 hours ago, jsslatic said:

Think we'd have stayed up with a better keeper but also think we'd have stayed up if Placide had played under Sheridan.

Nonsense in regards of the second part of your statement......Sheridan had the choice to play him but chose not to.

1 minute ago, lookersman said:

Totally agree we could have re signed Rippers but the idiocy of the then management didnt 

I know it has been debated to death. But would Ripley have made much difference, our defence was poor to a point and Johnny was not that bad a keeper. I'm pretty sure that the keeper we had pre the death of his mother was in a much better place. The problem for my money was the 2 keepers before him and that was purely down to Shez. 

Just now, disjointed said:

I know it has been debated to death. But would Ripley have made much difference, our defence was poor to a point and Johnny was not that bad a keeper. I'm pretty sure that the keeper we had pre the death of his mother was in a much better place. The problem for my money was the 2 keepers before him and that was purely down to Shez. 

And letting Clarke go ah well all academic now 

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

That was the point wasn't it??

The point made was we would have stayed up if Sheridan played Placide. I countered that with Sheridan refused to play him because Placide wasn't a player of his own choosing and because Sheridan being a stubborn sod was unlikely to waiver so to say we would have stayed up was, in my opinion, completely wrong. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Lemsagam is some boy. Cut the wage bill by well over 50% and got 95% of fans thinking it is great.

If he gets us winning I will give zero fucks, if we don't start off too well it could get difficult for him. Let's hope he knows what he's doing.

It wouldn't have taken much to be looking forward to another league one season. there is a long list of 'if only's'

- a goal keeper capable of making a save in the first 9 games

-full backs who don't get sent off with minutes to go when winning 1- nill

-Doyle not being injured

-Davies having some professionalism in half a season

-Wellens having a clue

-any of 8 outfield players giving a toss in the last few weeks

I'm sure you guys can think of more. When I look at that list with a half full glass I see a potentially better keeper, a young keen defence, a coach with experience and maybe the makings of a team. Time will tell if we have enough goals in the team.

Either way whats done is done- here's to 3 points a 5pm.