December 1972.My 10th Birthday. Dad took me to see Latics v Bournemouth.

Drew 1 all.

Remember vividly walking up the Main stand steps and suddenly seeing the vivid green pitch set against the Old Ford Stand. The noise of chanting from the Chaddy  and smell of cigars hit you as you rose to climb the final few steps.

From then I was hooked. After that first special occasion of having a seat, We then stood on the Chaddy, back right as you looked at the pitch on the Old wooden part that moved as people stamped their feet. Saw many great teams, players and games. 

Andy Lochead, David Shaw, Alan Groves and brief cameos from Tony Hately, Martin Buchan, Mike Fillery and the like.

Fast forward through two promotions, founder members of Prem. And grass then plastic and back to grass.And so many great cup runs.

The plastic did allow me and countless others to play on our home ground, a rare treat that probably not appreciated at time.

Takes me up to today when I took my Dad for first time in 20 years and we again sat in the Main stand. Same view only this time a nice new shiny stand opposite and , for first time ever, I got to wear shorts and t shirt to a game at Ice station Zebra. Promise of free scarf next match!

So we lost , but spending time with Dad, recreating memories afresh and bumping into old School mates topped the day off.

For 99 minutes today I was just a kid from Derker again, going to Latics with Dad.

8 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Frannie Lee played for City I think and I remember the big orange special match programme.that was my first season too.

thats the one only player i knew in the game  was franny lee 

Maine Rd '93 as my mate was a city fan. Nearly got chinned when we went 1 up. Think it was Mike Sheron who levelled after Hallworth spilled it. Good match then a terrifying walk back to car ?

Edited by Cushyj

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

How did it go?

Yeah was great being there with him and my daughter thanks. I swapped my North Stand season ticket for the Family Stand for the match and to be fair to the club they’re making an effort, tuck shop (which was a bit over priced if I’m honest) junior Latics lounge, face painting & balloon making (which was great). My boy seemed to be a natural, clapping when others clapped and to the drum beats (which I’ll have a word with him about). He even called the referee a wanker...alright he didn’t, but I’m sure he’ll pick that up at some point. 

All in all a good day at the Tics, shame about the result but at least he now knows the true feeling of being a blue. 

I not sure what my first game was ? was in the prem, my first memory is getting battered of Liverpool at home think it was 3-0 and the spurs game think we needed to win but lost either 2-0 or 2-1. Best memory was timing someone 6-0 and Wayne Andrews scored a pen, think was hersford, worst Cardiff think was 6-0 the other way

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

I not sure what my first game was ? was in the prem, my first memory is getting battered of Liverpool at home think it was 3-0 and the spurs game think we needed to win but lost either 2-0 or 2-1. Best memory was timing someone 6-0 and Wayne Andrews scored a pen, think was hersford, worst Cardiff think was 6-0 the other way

Yep Liverpool was 0-3 Jan ‘94

Spurs was 0-2 sadly 

the Andrews pen was the last in a 6-1 win in Sept 2002. Cardiff was 1-7 March 2002

August 1950, a month before my 6th birthday, my Dad took me to my first ever game. All I can clearly remember was the other team played in red, there were lots of goals and the crowd was huge. I was captivated from that moment on.

I had to look up who we played that day. It was Rotherham, we won 5-2 (I think) and there was 19,000 there. Thanks Dad. Been a True Blue Latic ever since.

My grandad started taking me when I was 4. I don't remember my first game. Wouldn't have it any other way than watching this shower for 29 years and being abused by all my PNE supporting friends. Took my 4 year old daughter pre season but think it's a bit soon for her. My 2 year old lad will be coming in a few years as well. They've no choice like I didn't. They'll be Latics fans or fuck off ???

• Like 1

No idea exactly when it was, but we drew 1-1 versus Swindon, it was 2 or 3 seasons before the Dowie play off season. No idea who played or what happened. My Grandad who’s a massive rugby fan took me, he hated it, I loved it and started going regularly with mates during the Dowie season. 

Seems really strange to me being in League 2 having only ever known league 1 football. Still can’t believe we’re playing FGR in a league game next week, only ourselves to blame on that one though.

It was probably the 1-0 win over Swindon in October 2000 mate, our first win since demolishing Port Vale at home on the opening day. Craig Dudley scored the winner and was sent off late in. In those days you weren’t immediately suspended so he played the following Tuesday versus Wycombe and bagged a brace in a 2-0 win.

The only Home 1-1 v Swindon I can remember before that was NYE ‘94. Gunnar Halle cancelling out Martin Ling’s opener...

Edited by oafcprozac

Was a fairly late starter at Boundary Park as my dad hadn't much interest in football, relied on George a mate of his taking me. Can remember watching Johnstone, Lister, Colquhoun and of course my hero Bob and the cup match versus West Ham ( when my 5'5" dad told some 6 foot plus Hammers to "get to the back of the bloody queue" as they tried to push to the front of us waiting to get into the cowshed. Was excited walking to the match seeing posters on lamp posts that we'd signed Ian Towers and equally disappointed when we sold George Kinnell to Sunderland after a dozen or so matches. But the match that really sticks in my memory was one of my first night matches against Mansfield Town. My favourite player was played as a makeshift centre forward and, late in the game if I remember rightly, was through on goal and shot straight at their goalie, shot against the crossbar with his second effort and finally buried his header on the rebound.

If only I would have been old enough to savour a pint* on the way home it would have been the perfect night ! 

* We did use to have a couple of pints of mild in the Dog and Duck on St. Domingo Street before night matches with schoolmates ( Dad told me to only drink mild 'til I was 18 which I diligently observed ! ) only to be told by the Landlord to "fuck off you're underage" when I attempted to change a particularly rank pint. And this after he'd served us for a season and a half ! 

The 1978 Anglo Scotish Cup final first leg v Burnley with my dad.

Lost 4-0 (we were 2 down after 3 minutes)....sort of set the tone being a Latics fan, but I was hooked!!

Think Leighton James played for Burnley!

Following season got my first season ticket for the Ford stand paddock....£18.

I started going when my dad left my mum for another woman and he had to find somewhere to take me when he had access on a Saturday. This was back in the 1960's in the days before being a one parent family was normal so we were pioneers really....

Think he'd rather have had access on a Sunday as he was a rugby league fan really but a woman wronged and all that, small payback.

Knew it was against Crewe but after a chat with my older sister regarding dates of said incident happening I've pinned it to February 1st 1969, a 3-0 win, I was 4.

So 50 years to celebrate next year.

Since then I've ruined 2 of my nephews lives, started taking the eldest who's now 37 when he was 4, he cried when the teams came out so he learnt that early and sometimes still does it to this day when he sees the teamsheet. The other had pretensions of being a United fan but I made him sit and watch Real Madrid knock them out of the Champions League in 2000 and he's never looked back.....

1 hour ago, inspectormorose said:

I started going when my dad left my mum for another woman and he had to find somewhere to take me when he had access on a Saturday. This was back in the 1960's in the days before being a one parent family was normal so we were pioneers really....

Think he'd rather have had access on a Sunday as he was a rugby league fan really but a woman wronged and all that, small payback.

Knew it was against Crewe but after a chat with my older sister regarding dates of said incident happening I've pinned it to February 1st 1969, a 3-0 win, I was 4.

So 50 years to celebrate next year.

Since then I've ruined 2 of my nephews lives, started taking the eldest who's now 37 when he was 4, he cried when the teams came out so he learnt that early and sometimes still does it to this day when he sees the teamsheet. The other had pretensions of being a United fan but I made him sit and watch Real Madrid knock them out of the Champions League in 2000 and he's never looked back.....

Nice to see you again, Inspector.  Long time, no see.

1 hour ago, inspectormorose said:

Oh I'm still around Stevie, still around but I tend to lurk and read nowadays rather than post as does Stipe but he's a different user name on here, but we keep tabs. ? 

Nice to know you’re both still kicking around, albeit too quietly!

My very first game was March 1973 v Swansea, I was 9, we won 1-0, David Shaw scored the goal at the Rochdale Road End. I'll never forget the goal as it was one of those that strikes the under side of the bar and bounces down and then in.

It was a Tuesday evening game and my dad and me went in the Chaddy End, the team wore blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks, the whole experience seemed so exciting to me at that age. i suppose it helped that we won. but I was hooked from that moment on.

Frizzell was manager and the team included Wood, Whittle, Shaw, Dowd, McVitie etc.

It was the start of a lifelong journey watching Latics.