Jack Byrne ❤️

3 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Have you been a Latics game this season? The standard of football is Sunday league... if not worse! 

Worse than Sunday league.  Ok then. Ffs some of the shit spouted on here.... 

But anyway, what’s that got to do with what I said? It’s a very poor league up there. Isn’t it?  

I guarantee he he gets a red card or two this season too, he can’t srand any physical attention from the oppo. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Have you ever watched an SPL game without Celtic playing? 

Its dreadful. 

It’s a side ways move at best. A good example is when Aberdeen can’t compete with Salford when throw 4K a week at Adam Rooney. 

That’s a shocking example... Scottish football don’t have the money that English teams do, especially Salford who are being pushed by famous wealthy people. Better standard than league two by a mile. At least he will get a kick.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Rooney couldn't score for toffee in League 1 for OAFC, goes and plays for Aberdeen and is top scorer in the SPL the next season - if that's not proof that the League is Micky Mouse then I don't know what is.

Killen and Porter also did very well up there after leaving league 1. 

Edited by kowenicki

59 minutes ago, oldhamoafc said:

Bollocks like this is what’s pissing me off...

These players you speak about and blame us for our relegation wasn’t being paid, while shit like omrani and queensy and maouche were being paid in buckets. And you want them to perform to their highest and drag the rest of the shit to a high standard to keep us up.

Any idea that it was the shit players (of which most the shit ‘nice’ players are still here) got us relegated? (And the manager).

oh and the 3 clubs you name are better clubs than Oldham athletic... 

Being paid late was not an excuse for us going down. Frank Bunn said as much when he got here. 

The 3 better clubs than Oldham Athletic FFS do me a favour I bet all of them had to take pay cuts.

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Being paid late was not an excuse for us going down. Frank Bunn said as much when he got here. 

The 3 better clubs than Oldham Athletic FFS do me a favour I bet all of them had to take pay cuts.

Never said it was, but it’s relevant to the argument we were having... it would have an effect on what you was saying. 

Bigger crowds, bigger budgets, better ran clubs... I’d say so.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

One good season there and he will come on the Old Firm radar.

Says a lot that a top coach like Steve Clarke thinks he is worth bringing in.

Playing for Celtic in champs league 19/20. You heard it here first. 

Did you actually watch him last season!?  

Ha. Wow. 

Just now, oldhamoafc said:

That’s a shocking example... Scottish football don’t have the money that English teams do, especially Salford who are being pushed by famous wealthy people. Better standard than league two by a mile. At least he will get a kick.

?

‘They don’t have the money english teams do’

What are they paying them then? Magic beans? The best players go where the money is. It’s a shit standard, because the pay is relatively poor. Therefore It’s full of very average players. (Bryne isn’t one of them) 

Celtic got the piss ripped out of them for narrowly losing to AEK who easily won the Greek PL last year yet Burnley lost comfortably to Olympiacos who finished 3rd in that league.

Admittedly Celtic are miles better than the rest of them but still, a 5th placed SPL team is 100% an upgrade on this pub league we find ourselves in. 

28 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Playing for Celtic in champs league 19/20. You heard it here first. 

Did you actually watch him last season!?  

Ha. Wow. 

Was he not fantastic in that September-November period then? This rewriting of history of that period that some are keen to do is bizarre given it was the best we have seen for years.

27 minutes ago, League one forever said:

?

‘They don’t have the money english teams do’

What are they paying them then? Magic beans? The best players go where the money is. It’s a shit standard, because the pay is relatively poor. Therefore It’s full of very average players. (Bryne isn’t one of them) 

Attendances in the SPL for the teams outside the ‘big’ five are relatively low. Kilmarnock had 4,600 for the game against St Johnstone, 6,400 against Hearts and 12,000 against Rangers.

I would imagine that their corresponding share of TV money is not high.

Based on income, I would guess that the majority of SPL clubs can not afford to pay huge wages - so, as you rightly point out, the Smaller teams can only attract average players.

I expect Byrne to do well in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Was he not fantastic in that September-November period then? This rewriting of history of that period that some are keen to do is bizarre given it was the best we have seen for years.

Agreed.

When he was on it, he really was class. That Blackburn performance will stay with me for a long time. Unfortunately he only played when it suited Jack. IE if he had a point to prove. 

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Attendances in the SPL for the teams outside the ‘big’ five are relatively low. Kilmarnock had 4,600 for the game against St Johnstone, 6,400 against Hearts and 12,000 against Rangers.

I would imagine that their corresponding share of TV money is not high.

Based on income, I would guess that the majority of SPL clubs can not afford to pay huge wages - so, as you rightly point out, the Smaller teams can only attract average players.

I expect Byrne to do well in Scotland.

Yeah I think it’s a good move for him. If he turns up he’ll stick out like a sore thumb up there,  it could very well revitalise his career. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s soon back in England at the top of league one/bottom 8 championship. .

Only to get sacked three months later. ?

58 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Awful league.

Most of that league is garbage and he certainly won’t be getting 5k a week up there.   

He won't need 5k a week after the payout he got from us. If he's received the remainder of his contract he'll have pocketed not far off £500k less tax.

The trust said that AL had put in £3.5m, so now it's £4m. 

The decks are now cleared to add to the squad in January and stay within the SCMP rules.

40 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Celtic got the piss ripped out of them for narrowly losing to AEK who easily won the Greek PL last year yet Burnley lost comfortably to Olympiacos who finished 3rd in that league.

Admittedly Celtic are miles better than the rest of them but still, a 5th placed SPL team is 100% an upgrade on this pub league we find ourselves in. 

You keep saying top 5 like it’s comparable to down here.  

They are currently 6th out of 12. Mid table, pulling in crowds of 5k.  Couple of years ago they averaged under 4K.  

Of course it’s a better league because of 3 or 4 teams (not including killy)... but you lose even more credibility (what am I saying?) when you say pub league.  

He wont last there. 

11 minutes ago, al_bro said:

He won't need 5k a week after the payout he got from us. If he's received the remainder of his contract he'll have pocketed not far off £500k less tax.

The decks are now cleared to add to the squad in January and stay within the SCMP rules.

Very, very unlikely. 

8 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Why would we pay up his contract?  

We had him on a disciplinary so I’m suspecting mutual means he’s walked away as a free agent in return for us not receiving a fee.

3 hours ago, josh_latics said:

He'll piss that League, best player since Henrik Larsson. 

Only scored against Scottish defenders

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Killen and Porter also did very well up there after leaving league 1. 

To be fair Porter was shit hot for us before he went up there. Killen's success I find harder to account for.

21 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Why would we pay up his contract?  

We had him on a disciplinary so I’m suspecting mutual means he’s walked away as a free agent in return for us not receiving a fee.

It generally means that both parties have agreed to a suitable severance package - he’d have got a decent pay off from this, which makes the decision all the more baffling.

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

It generally means that both parties have agreed to a suitable severance package - he’d have got a decent pay off from this, which makes the decision all the more baffling.

Don't kid yourself  imho it means you can go if you want to, but you not getting a penny from us. If Killie pay you a signing on fee thats between yourselves.