Ritchie Wellens

28 minutes ago, oafcmad09 said:

I've written a bit on him getting the job at Swindon: 

https://t.co/EDzxKYveNx

A very generous piece. 

I think he’ll struggle or be nothing more than ok.  He won’t get anywhere near the Money Abdallah threw at it for the first few months, and the ‘exciting football’ literally lasted for six games. His constant whingeing and excuses began to grate very quickly. Did he have issues to deal with- yes. But what lower league manager doesn’t? As a comparison- I’ve not heard Bunn mention once that his number two has been sacked, despite the fact it must be killing him- It’s called professionalism. Ritchie struggled with that. 

Swindon have a got a manager who flatters to deceive IMO. Will blame ANYTHING he can for a defeat, or loss of form. He will demand Swindon ‘some him their ambition’ by signing players they can’t afford because he can’t get a tune out of what’s there or more likely who he’s already signed. 

As singe says- look at his first quote on signing. . . 

Enough said. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

The fuck is he supposed to say?

'I made a right hash of my last job and shouldn't have had any chance of getting this one'

Come on.

He could of said. 

I like to play attractive football, but I learnt from my time at Oldham that’s not always achievable with the pitches in the lower leagues, so it’s important we can adapt our style to the conditions as and when we need to. 

Instead he said 

My first job at Oldham was going fantastically well, but the pitch deteriorated very badly, and I had to change the way I played. 

One sounds positive and ready to learn from mistakes.

The other sounds bitter and resentful, and accepts no personal responsibility. 

22 hours ago, singe said:

He could be in for a bit of a shock then.

Pensions like us, albeit a couple of years ago, but since then their owner has bought Waterford, sidetacked?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/football-club-fined-for-failing-to-give-players-pensions/

Debt situation not wildly different to ours.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/16055368.towns-debt-continues-to-fall/

PS Oh, and lots of interference from the owner, ex footballer & former Agent Lee Power... Who also managed them for a while. He's not universally popular.

Edited by Bristolatic

14 hours ago, deyres42 said:

The fuck is he supposed to say?

'I made a right hash of my last job and shouldn't have had any chance of getting this one'

Come on.

He shouldn't have blamed the pitch. Just, as L1E says, learned a lot , tricky time, first job etc.
And for 3 reasons

1) The pitch is always the same for both sides
2) Everyone's cut up somewhat after the weather we had.

3) We also played away from home, no change in tactics there.
4) He is admitted he can't scrap for a scruffy win, every team needs to do that. You can't play on carpets every week.

14 minutes ago, singe said:

He shouldn't have blamed the pitch. Just, as L1E says, learned a lot , tricky time, first job etc.
And for 3 reasons

1) The pitch is always the same for both sides
2) Everyone's cut up somewhat after the weather we had.

3) We also played away from home, no change in tactics there.
4) He is admitted he can't scrap for a scruffy win, every team needs to do that. You can't play on carpets every week.

Tactics were fine, put a competent keeper in the goals and we stay up with ease.

10 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Some of the football under Wellens was the best i have seen from an Oldham side in years.

He will not be anywhere near as hamstrung as he was here. Tenner going on Swindon to go up.

In about 5 games out of 30+.... 

The football second half of the season was us shambolically playing long ball to Doyle with our best playmaker stuck out wide not being involved.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Tactics were fine, put a competent keeper in the goals and we stay up with ease.

Last 8 games:  

7 points.  

Not a single win.

6 goals scored

3 of those games against relegation rivals. 

“Tactics fine, Keepers fault” or “tactics fine find someone who can shoot” or “tactics fine, be a bit more creative” or “tactics poor”

🤔

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Last 8 games:  

7 points.  

Not a single win.

6 goals scored

3 of those games against relegation rivals. 

“Tactics fine, Keepers fault” or “tactics fine find someone who can shoot” or “tactics fine, be a bit more creative” or “tactics poor”

🤔

Season played over 46 games.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Season played over 46 games.

Yes but with the squad available we should have been able to conjure the extra point required, whoever was in charge. So many mistakes by managers, players and directors ensured teams of lesser ability but more professionally run are now in a league above us. 

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit weird to reference last 8 games then.

Not at all ! If you can’t even motivate your players to win just one bleeding game out of the remaining 8 crucial fixtures, then football management is  not for you. Just my opinion. I hope he falls flat on his cocky face at Swindon and fails miserably. Like someone pointed out elsewhere FB has it worse and isn’t making excuses to the press etc. I respect Bunn for that , whether I’m a fan of his or not. Get on with the fucking job in hand !