Edmundson contract extension

Away on hols at the moment reading lots of negatively on here!

Edmundson extending his deal is some GOOD NEWS Imo. 

Decent young player with potential to improve and a longer term deal will protect our investment. 

Also like the signing of Lang who by all accounts is a top prospect so not all bad. 

Looking forward to seeing him, Surridge and Jose in the same 11.

2 0 comfortable win for me on Saturday. 

I'd like to see an older head alongside Edmundson, actually our whole defence would benefit from experience there. Him, Hamer and Stott need an older pro to guide them through. I've concerns about Clarke's fitness and hope that we can bring someone in on loan or from out of contract to help our defence develop.

1 hour ago, beag_teeets said:

I'd like to see an older head alongside Edmundson, actually our whole defence would benefit from experience there. Him, Hamer and Stott need an older pro to guide them through. I've concerns about Clarke's fitness and hope that we can bring someone in on loan or from out of contract to help our defence develop.

Maybe Clarke's experience can be valuable without having to run around...he could let the youngsters do that under his guidance. Remember Sheridan standing in the middle of the pitch and bossing the game without moving very much because of his dodgy knees? :D

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Maybe Clarke's experience can be valuable without having to run around...he could let the youngsters do that under his guidance. Remember Sheridan standing in the middle of the pitch and bossing the game without moving very much because of his dodgy knees? :D

Yep remember that... Was awesome to watch! Think we would benefit though with another experienced centre half though...long season. 

5 hours ago, Wardie said:

I remember that it was a amazing to watch. The difference is tho he was so talented he bought himself two yards extra. He could also ping a ball 30 yards with his eyes closed. Not sure Clarke has those skills

10 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I remember that it was a amazing to watch. The difference is tho he was so talented he bought himself two yards extra. He could also ping a ball 30 yards with his eyes closed. Not sure Clarke has those skills

He also chipped in with some crucial goals from his free kicks.

11 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Yes! My first downboat in ages! Thanks smiler13! Too cynical of me to think that a contract extension is a precursor to a sale?

You may be right  crusoe obviously  the longer the contract a player has.  Means a better transfer fee for the selling club  but may be they increased his wage and tied him down to a longer  contract as a reward for the promise he is showing if he continues to improve this season I would hope they offer another extension  when he gets down to the last 12 months of his deal  

15 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Yes! My first downboat in ages! Thanks smiler13! Too cynical of me to think that a contract extension is a precursor to a sale?

Well you came across cynical however I appreciate that all players at some stage in their career move on for a price if they show promise. I just hope that next time we sell a promising young player then we get a fair price for them and that clauses are put in place so we benefit if they are again sold on or gain international recognition 

23 hours ago, Wardie said:

That is a fair point, having Clarke around the club can only help the other players, he's having a long career as he looks after himself unlike Gerrard, or myself and can do a lot of work on the training pitch that will help the youngsters. I'd be surprised if we get more than 20 games from Clarke, hope we do though, having another experienced pro would just cover the season for me. Bit like O'Grady being the senior forward with younger lads around him doing the running.

On 8/18/2018 at 3:19 PM, beag_teeets said:

That is a fair point, having Clarke around the club can only help the other players, he's having a long career as he looks after himself unlike Gerrard, or myself and can do a lot of work on the training pitch that will help the youngsters. I'd be surprised if we get more than 20 games from Clarke, hope we do though, having another experienced pro would just cover the season for me. Bit like O'Grady being the senior forward with younger lads around him doing the running.

I think Taylor will make a big difference, he was also giving Eddy bits of advice (and was taking it). Two good senior defenders to help the kids

• 3 weeks later...

F*ck me this lads proved me wrong

Always thought he's a young lad and a liability 

The four games I've seen this year he hasn't put one foot wrong. 

Clarke alongside him is a massive influence but from the games this season there's massive potential ..

The heading, shielding, shimiimg today was immense.

12 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

F*ck me this lads proved me wrong

Always thought he's a young lad and a liability 

The four games I've seen this year he hasn't put one foot wrong. 

Clarke alongside him is a massive influence but from the games this season there's massive potential ..

The heading, shielding, shimiimg today was immense.

Showed a good turn of pace too.

Quicker than Tarky I'd say, but not as good distribution.

Edited by BP1960

8 minutes ago, al_bro said:

To think we once let him go, and I think it was Robinson who gave him another chance.

Did we, I don’t recall that? Or was it a case of him not being offered a contract as a kid but something happened that allowed him to be signed?