Morecambe (a)

4 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Sad indictment innit. In 1994 Roger Palmer had played for us for 13 seasons.

Had Corney given certain players payrises over the years rather than spunking 4 or 5 lots of signing on & agents fees before finally finding an adequate replacement we might not be where we are... 

53 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Had Corney given certain players payrises over the years rather than spunking 4 or 5 lots of signing on & agents fees before finally finding an adequate replacement we might not be where we are... 

Who is this adequate replacement. He sounds fantastic! 

I agree with a comment earlier on that Gardener seems to be taking on too much in the absence of he who must not be named. He wants a piece of every play and he doesn't have the talent to do that. That said, for all the negativity, he is running his balls off so far this season...more than can be said for last!

3 games in, I'll settle for a Tuesday night point on the other side of the earth. Pre-season is pre-season, these early games are where we find our feet. So far, I do think progress is being made.

I hope FB drums in some kind of 'relax on the ball' mentality. This is not league 1 where we did nothing more than panic into water out of our depth. Fitness wise we are leaps and bounds ahead of some of these teams, blatantly evident last night when they were sucking for air like a race horse. Ability wise, we have at least two players in def/mid/att to rival the best any of the league 2 teams can throw at us. If this is a consolidation season, so be it. However, apart from MK who came down with us, we are far better than those we have played so far.

See you at Morecambe. Lad n dad.

10 hours ago, pcscorchio said:

agree with a comment earlier on that Gardener seems to be taking on too much in the absence of he who must not be named. He wants a piece of every play and he doesn't have the talent to do that. That said, for all the negativity, he is running his balls off so far this season...more than can be said for last!

+1. Gardner certainly cannot be criticised for his workrate this season ?

22 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He couldn’t last season to be fair, ran his bollocks off tracking back even if he didn’t make a tackle

I think it is more evident this season so far. Maybe because he's on the ball much more in the absence of he who must not be named. Maybe because we are enjoying far more possession than in previous years. Maybe because he knows he's better than the dross opposing him so far. He dropped deep for the one-two with Edmundson to set the move off for the 1st vs Macc, the midfield interception to break Macc play for the 2nd. His fitness is top notch so far. I also think he's a League 1 player...so he expects to be involved much more at this level. He plays the holding role well. If he wants to shepherd instead of tackle, I'll take that. Teams give the ball away far more than they use it.

We desperately need someone in front of him, Baxter maybe, for him to feed to go create chances for the pace in bundles Surridge. Coke, personal opinion, is awful. If he's what we need, I may as well have a go between the sticks.

No one got chance to make many tackles last year with Fane throwing his legs everywhere. I reckon he gave away more fouls than the rest of Tics combined (maybe with the exception of Miombe and his knack of giving aways pens).

PS - new to the forum (had membership pending for quite some time - clearly the checks came back ok), been following on and off since 90/91 season, sat/stood everywhere except the Joe Royle (it all it's previous forms), now 'educating' the lad (often with Haribo bribery).

Edited by pcscorchio

1 hour ago, pcscorchio said:

I think it is more evident this season so far. Maybe because he's on the ball much more in the absence of he who must not be named. Maybe because we are enjoying far more possession than in previous years. Maybe because he knows he's better than the dross opposing him so far. He dropped deep for the one-two with Edmundson to set the move off for the 1st vs Macc, the midfield interception to break Macc play for the 2nd. His fitness is top notch so far. I also think he's a League 1 player...so he expects to be involved much more at this level. He plays the holding role well. If he wants to shepherd instead of tackle, I'll take that. Teams give the ball away far more than they use it.

We desperately need someone in front of him, Baxter maybe, for him to feed to go create chances for the pace in bundles Surridge. Coke, personal opinion, is awful. If he's what we need, I may as well have a go between the sticks.

No one got chance to make many tackles last year with Fane throwing his legs everywhere. I reckon he gave away more fouls than the rest of Tics combined (maybe with the exception of Miombe and his knack of giving aways pens).

PS - new to the forum (had membership pending for quite some time - clearly the checks came back ok), been following on and off since 90/91 season, sat/stood everywhere except the Joe Royle (it all it's previous forms), now 'educating' the lad (often with Haribo bribery).

Good to have you onboard especially after this post.

I wholeheartedly agree as well, Baxter and Gardner are both clever players. The one time they linked up resulted in a passage of play that ended up with Gardner hitting the post.

when Baxter is fit I’d have no qualms about him and Gardner in a two. Baxter played there for Sheff U and when you realise that in this league Ollie Banks and Paul Green are both playing in a midfield two then why the hell not!

10 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Just picked up two tickets. 250 left mostly standing but a few for seats too. No queues either FYI 

I don't think we will sell out - but it's payday for some tomorrow and could see a bump in shifting the last few.

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

+1. Gardner certainly cannot be criticised for his workrate this season ?

Agreed, but it's no use if when he gets the ball, he gives it back to the opposition 90% of the time, which is what happened at Yeovil. Fortunately in L2 the opposition are just as bad, and give the ball back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Agreed, but it's no use if when he gets the ball, he gives it back to the opposition 90% of the time, which is what happened at Yeovil. Fortunately in L2 the opposition are just as bad, and give the ball back.

How do you get 90%?

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How do you get 90%?

You don't need to wage a one man defence of Gardner BP, if we didn't have him in the team we would be nearer the bottom of the league than the top.

There won't be many better midfielders in this league than him, missed passes,missed tackles, lost possession or whatever :chubb:

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Less than 150 left for this, not a bad effort all things considered and I'd be shocked if they turn away more custom on Saturday given the finances of the club.

I reckon that 150 will get sold out .On our seat tickets there are no seat numbers ?

Also thought there was a strike on local  Morecambe trains on Sat so presume they will put buses on otherwise there is a 6a bus stop outside the ground to Lancaster.

10 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

I reckon that 150 will get sold out .On our seat tickets there are no seat numbers ?

Also thought there was a strike on local  Morecambe trains on Sat so presume they will put buses on otherwise there is a 6a bus stop outside the ground to Lancaster.

It's 4 miles from Lancaster railway station to the ground so I suspect many will just jump in taxis, local buses on a Bank Holiday weekend may not be the best option.