Morecambe (a)

28 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

I reckon that 150 will get sold out .On our seat tickets there are no seat numbers ?

Also thought there was a strike on local  Morecambe trains on Sat so presume they will put buses on otherwise there is a 6a bus stop outside the ground to Lancaster.

It’s sit where you like - so get in early if you want the best seats?

On 8/22/2018 at 7:32 PM, HarryBosch said:

Fane did ok in League One for a lot of the season until we ran him into the ground 

Doing OK as in not being able to pass the ball more than 5 yards. Some fans have got used to watching absolute shite even before the 4th division. 

Thanks a lot Corney

25 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Doing OK as in not being able to pass the ball more than 5 yards. Some fans have got used to watching absolute shite even before the 4th division. 

Thanks a lot Corney

And he'd still stand out in this midfield, thanks a lot Lemsagam. :sign0173:

4 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Thanks a lot Corney

If you respected what Fane's role was for Latics last season, you would think that he could potentially be very effective. 

Fane wasn't great most of last season but his job is underestimated. His job was/is to dispossess opposition and play it to a better passer of the ball/more creative player i.e Dan Gardner, Jack Byrne etc.

Look at teams, even towards the top level of English football, Claude Makelele was a prime example at Chelsea, he broke up play and played it simple to Lampard or Ballack. Rarely went forward, rarely drove with the ball, rarely passed it 15/20 yards. His job was done until the ball needed to be won again.

Now, Fane has a lot to learn granted. He is very erratic and bless him, he could do absolutely anything. However, Fane gets a lot of stick from Latics fans when in reality he doesn't do his job too badly.

15 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Fane wasn't great most of last season but his job is underestimated. His job was/is to dispossess opposition and play it to a better passer of the ball/more creative player i.e Dan Gardner, Jack Byrne etc.

We have had this discussion before and this is where your arguement falls down-he couldn't pass the ball 5 yds to another player. There is a  myth that he was a hard tackling midfielder which he wasn't-just a gangly run around a lot player. The persistance with him last year was one of the main reasons we were relegated.The longer he is out injured the better he will become on here.

30 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

If you respected what Fane's role was for Latics last season, you would think that he could potentially be very effective. 

Look at teams, even towards the top level of English football, Claude Makelele was a prime example at Chelsea, he broke up play and played it simple to Lampard or Ballack. Rarely went forward, rarely drove with the ball, rarely passed it 15/20 yards. His job was done until the ball needed to be won again.

Now, Fane has a lot to learn granted. He is very erratic and bless him, he could do absolutely anything. However, Fane gets a lot of stick from Latics fans when in reality he doesn't do his job too badly.

Please don't compare Fane to Makelele ever again.

Makelele was more than just a 'win the ball and pass to X' player.

22 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

He was right with what he said though, granted it's on another level but Makelele was always described as a water carrier.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

We have had this discussion before and this is where your arguement falls down-he couldn't pass the ball 5 yds to another player. There is a  myth that he was a hard tackling midfielder which he wasn't-just a gangly run around a lot player. The persistance with him last year was one of the main reasons we were relegated.The longer he is out injured the better he will become on here.

He wasn't in the team though that flopped so badly in the last few matches.

1 hour ago, sjk2008 said:

The comparison was not a direct one from Fane to Makelele obviously. It was relative to the level they are playing at.

Makelele did a fantastic job doing what he did, very rarely did he pass 20/30 yards, very rarely did he drive forward. His main attributes was spotting danger, being in the right position to eradicate the danger, brilliant and guiding the back 4 and sitting in to make a back 3 when full backs ventured forward. On the ball however, Makelele offered a simple job of getting it and playing it to Ballack or Lampard (the more creative footballers) he didn't score many at all (2 in 144 for Chelsea) but he was an integral part of Chelsea's midfield success and domination.

Fane, once again relative comparison does what he does to an adequate standard that he was/is playing at. On the ball he isn't very good but got better from the year prior. He has eradicated the stupid booking/amount of bookings he picks up and is improving as a footballer. 

To summarise, there is blatantly no comparison between those two individually but there is with their respective roles within their respective levels of football

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Byrne often dropped deep last year to pick the ball up from the centre halves, perhaps because he didn't trust Fane getting it to him. Undoubtedly he has to learn and be coached to be better on the ball but the persistence with him last year was not the reason or a main reason why we got relegated.

The main reasons were the following:

1) Players within the ranks did not get on (clear to see) and as such morale wasn't the best and there was little cohesion.

2) Stupid mistakes from a variety of players throughout the season

3) Having Nazon and Byrne on the pitch at the same time when required to battle wasn't a good idea. Byrne was like playing with 10 men (Rochdale away, prime example albeit playing woefully out of position?

I'm not that big lover of Fane, he has plenty of flaws within his game but I do see potential. I also believe he could become a good player for Latics, of course I may be wrong. 

What Fane does have that certain other players seemingly don't is a good attitude, a willingness to learn and is determined (this isn't my opinion but has been stated by 4 separate managers since he signed)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

The comparison was not a direct one from Fane to Makelele obviously. It was relative to the level they are playing at.

Makelele did a fantastic job doing what he did, very rarely did he pass 20/30 yards, very rarely did he drive forward. His main attributes was spotting danger, being in the right position to eradicate the danger, brilliant and guiding the back 4 and sitting in to make a back 3 when full backs ventured forward. On the ball however, Makelele offered a simple job of getting it and playing it to Ballack or Lampard (the more creative footballers) he didn't score many at all (2 in 144 for Chelsea) but he was an integral part of Chelsea's midfield success and domination.

Fane, once again relative comparison does what he does to an adequate standard that he was/is playing at. On the ball he isn't very good but got better from the year prior. He has eradicated the stupid booking/amount of bookings he picks up and is improving as a footballer. 

To summarise, there is blatantly no comparison between those two individually but there is with their respective roles within their respective levels of football

If you think fane can spot and stop danger your deluded. Your stupid comparison to makelele that he never drove forward. People on here love the fact fane would drive forward. So that’s a massive contradiction. Where fane would drive forward and absolutely shit himself. I’ve seen the guy be 1 on 1 with the keeper and pass it to the opposition defender. Enough said 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If you think fane can spot and stop danger your deluded. Your stupid comparison to makelele that he never drove forward. People on here love the fact fane would drive forward. So that’s a massive contradiction. Where fane would drive forward and absolutely shit himself. I’ve seen the guy be 1 on 1 with the keeper and pass it to the opposition defender. Enough said 

As I have stated the 'stupid comparison' is obviously relative to the level you are playing at. 

Fane when we played Peterborough at home and won 2-0 season before last, a coach at Bury that I know came and said how wonderfully Fane did. All he did that night was dispossess the opposition and pass it 4/5 yards to a player who wanted to go forward (bit limited within that team I know!) 

When going forward with the ball he loses all sense of what he is supposed to do. When he does stick in the midfield though he wins his fair share of possession.

Just out of interest, last season, who would you have played instead of Fane? Byrne in a 2? Maouche? Omrani? 

And again, this season, would you have Fane over Coke? Fane over Missilou?

Absolutely no logic in having a player who breaks down play and wins the ball just to give it away because he is poor in possession gives it straight back.

I would rather have two more technical midfielders with a Baxter type in the number 10 position working with a surridge / Lang type up front.

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

Absolutely no logic in having a player who breaks down play and wins the ball just to give it away because he is poor in possession gives it straight back.

I would rather have two more technical midfielders with a Baxter type in the number 10 position working with a surridge / Lang type up front.

The ball winning midfielder role is lost on some people. I agree he does give it away too much but ultimately that's why he plays 3rd or 4th division. 

Technical players meaning Byrne potentially? Byrne in a midfield 2 I think is a recipe for disaster. Could possibly play Baxter back in with Gardner but then wasting Baxter's talent behind the front man

The days of picking and choosing are over, what we still have if you include Dummigan and Byrne, the 2 young strikers should be more than adequate to see us Top end if F.B can find the answer to the puzzle Wellens couldn't figure out