Newport (H)

I love those who slate the “tryers”Because we have no reckfords with 0 talents that don’t look like they give a shit, but we have soooo many Baxter’s that do! Come on trying is minimum and realistically all we can expect. I’d rather 11 players who aren’t brilliant but at least give a shit! Come on people caring is better than failed attempts at being decent !

6 minutes ago, forever blue said:

I am happy to debate this Brexit with  Anyone but not on this thread. This is about todays result.

Mate, for someone who’s been on here for 10 years you show a startling lack of understanding of OWTB meanderings. Barely a thread on here that sticks to its original point.

FWIW the ERG and specifically the clowns who were responsible for Brexit for 2 years and achieved precisely nothing still haven’t got, or won’t publish (for fear of ridicule) anything approaching a credible plan. Now this may be because no plan for Brexit is credible but if they keep spouting trite crap about Leave meaning Leave and taking back control of our money, borders etc. with absolutely nothing to back it up they deserve to reap all they have sown. The trouble is the rest of us have to go back to the 19th Century with them. Mind you it is Rees-Mogg’s spiritual home. 

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Then the clubs were obviously happy enough to allow the player to go for whatever reason.

A recent example, Jack Grealish wanted to go to Tottenham, Villa said he was staying, he stayed.

Plenty more, at all levels.

Now I remember why I got divorced. 

Nobody wanted to buy Grealish so he stayed. He had no choice. Maybe that will change in January?

West Ham wanted Dmitri Payet to stay.  Same with Celtic and later Southampton, with Virgil Van Dijk when he also refused to play.  Were the clubs happy they got transfer fees?  Possibly, that’s the benefit of contracts for players coveted by other teams, but I’m very sure it wasn’t what they really wanted bearing in mind the riches of staying in the Premier League.

Same goes for Coutinho, Suarez, Neymar, Costa and many more at clubs at the other end of the table.  Even competitive clubs with deep pockets find it very difficult to keep hold of want-away players. I would say it’s virtually impossible for a skint league 2 club to allow a high earner to be sat in the stands refusing to play rather than doing his job.  Even more tricky when he wants out but nobody else wants him and his baggage. 

Final word is yours. 

We need to be more direct at times - too much tippy  tappy stuff around the box , extra touches when shots are on, the "one footed" players - Gardner and engone come to mind always have to get the ball on the stronger foot - losing opportunities. This happened all afternoon today.

3 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Nobody wanted to buy Grealish so he stayed. He had no choice. Maybe that will change in January?

West Ham wanted Dmitri Payet to stay.  Same with Celtic and later Southampton, with Virgil Van Dijk when he also refused to play.  Were the clubs happy they got transfer fees?  Possibly, that’s the benefit of contracts for players coveted by other teams, but I’m very sure it wasn’t what they really wanted bearing in mind the riches of staying in the Premier League.

Same goes for Coutinho, Suarez, Neymar, Costa and many more at clubs at the other end of the table.  Even competitive clubs with deep pockets find it very difficult to keep hold of want-away players. I would say it’s virtually impossible for a skint league 2 club to allow a high earner to be sat in the stands refusing to play rather than doing his job.  Even more tricky when he wants out but nobody else wants him and his baggage. 

Final word is yours. 

It's a bit different and easier to throw your weight around when you are a top player because you know you have your pick of clubs to go to.

Byrne doesn't fall into that category so even if we take you at your insistence that he refused to play or whatever, doesn't change the fact that we held the balance of power in regards to his future.

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Looks like Gardner is this year’s boo boy, he’s nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Had a neutral with me today who thinks he was one of our better players today, I agree with him. 

Agree with this, definitely this season's boo boy. Especially with some of those who spit blood at anyone who offers the slightest criticism of any other aspect of the club.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's also nowhere near as good as people were making out in the early parts of the season. The truth is somewhere in between...

See above! He’s not brilliant! But I don’t think anyone is saying he is? He plays like he gives a shit which I would much prefer, to a pretentious twat that only cares about himself! 

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Paz.  Good 

Hunt.  Poor

Clarke.  Average

Ed.  Good

Taylor. V Good

Gardner.  Shitter than shit

Missile.  MOTM

Branger.  Average

Lang. Good

O’Grady. Average

Surrudge.  Average.

Spot on review of the game

I thought it was a decent game - they had a spell or two when they dominated possession and the first half brought two excellent saves in quick succession from Zeus. We also had some good spells in the game and played some decent football.

The main difference was that we failed to take our chances - Baxter and Branger should have done better with their headers and Surridge was strangely hesitant when on the ball when in good space and Baxter again looked sluggish when he came on.

One or two stood out today:

La Paz two decent saves and looks like he will provide good competition for Iversen.

Lang is tricky running with the ball 

Missilou could prove to be a good defensive midfielder

Edmundson is playing well alongside Clarke

One other thing...why make the two final substitutions so late in the game? 

2 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Final word is yours. 

Do you have any proof that he refused to play?

Today, we were the better side. As already said on here they came for the point and got all 3

Surridge should bury his chance but decided to try pass it. Overall i’m not too worried because if Newport are currently joint top with a Lincoln side who just lost to f’n Crawley then we really should be looking at play offs minimum. 

I hope we turn up at Grimsby playing the same football as we did first half but with a bit more intent to get it into the box. Thought Lang looked inventive and bright.

Branger struggled to get into the game. Think it’s time Gardner didn’t start for once, there’s a case for Maouche to come in or out Baxter in.

Another pleasing aspect was Missilou’s performance. There’s been times where he looked off the pace but today he was everywhere and actually looked OK on the ball and had a decent effort. Still time for these new boys to grow into the game. 

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

Thought today we were the equal of a Newport side who were organised and disciplined and were set up to keep us outside the box.

Lang was impressive in making runs and occupying space between midfield and CoG.

Missile showed commitment and some skill in winning ball and driving forward.

Just need to have a marksman who can either shoot from outside of box with accuracy or can find space to get on some of the balls from Lang or hopefully Baxter.

Surridge today was roughousing with their defence.what caused him to go down early on did anyone see?

Certainly affected his game as after that didn't really get a clean run at defence or was hesitant or overpassed.

Like the MK Dons game, we lost to a single goal when we were at least equal to the opposition.

Let's get behind the lads as spirit and passion is evident on touchline.

Good to see over 4k latics fans turn out on a torrential rainy day, at least in the run up to the game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

Looks like Gardner is this year’s boo boy, he’s nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Had a neutral with me today who thinks he was one of our better players today, I agree with him. 

He has been so poor with his distribution. Does a decent turn and then loses it seconds later. The system we play makes him our main creator in midfield (should be Jack), but he's found a team mate about 6 times in the last month. 

He needs dropping. Baxter in. 

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

And? Doesn’t mean that making stuff up about him is acceptable...

Thanks for calling me a liar.

You are too emotionally involved with Jack ❤️ to listen to other views.  Your posts the other day about Byrne were ridiculous and made you sound like a jilted teenager.  I’m amazed that you are back for more.

The “proof” you want is from conversations with two people with knowledge of the situation.  You don’t know me but plenty of others on here do.  I’m sorry but I have nothing in writing, nor will I discuss it further and that’s me done with Byrne.  I’m sure you and the other usual suspects will trot his name out at regular intervals this season but I’m moving on along with most others.  This is a thread about yesterday’s game, not Jack Byrne so I’m out.

He’s gone.  He doesn’t love you anymore.  Probably never did.  

14 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Hes gone.

He didn’t manage to “make a difference” in an awful lot of games last season either.

This. 

Byrne has been canonised during his absence, when in reality he did little to help us get out of the shit at the back end of last season. He’s a talented player but there’s little evidence he can be as influential as some seem to think. 

7 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

This. 

Byrne has been canonised during his absence, when in reality he did little to help us get out of the shit at the back end of last season. He’s a talented player but there’s little evidence he can be as influential as some seem to think. 

A half arsed Byrne is still better then anything we can currently put on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A half arsed Byrne is still better then anything we can currently put on the pitch.

You don't give up, do you!!!

A full-arsed Byrne was influential in about half-a-dozen games last year with the remaining games a sulky tw*t but that, in your eyes, should have been enough to make him our midfield general this season.

I take the view that he would have had a mega-strop if he was tackled out of a couple of games and then substituted......oh, I forgot....just like last season.

So every time we drop points, will it be a cue for you to bang the Byrne drum or are you going to grow up and understand that Byrne was not bigger than Oldham Athletic and finally stop this repetitive sh*t?

5 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

You don't give up, do you!!!

A full-arsed Byrne was influential in about half-a-dozen games last year with the remaining games a sulky tw*t but that, in your eyes, should have been enough to make him our midfield general this season.

I take the view that he would have had a mega-strop if he was tackled out of a couple of games and then substituted......oh, I forgot....just like last season.

So every time we drop points, will it be a cue for you to bang the Byrne drum or are you going to grow up and understand that Byrne was not bigger than Oldham Athletic and finally stop this repetitive sh*t?

Never once said that he was bigger than the club, stop being hysterical.

If we keep producing performances devoid of creativity then I'll keep mentioning him yeah.