Newport (H)

Just now, deyres42 said:

Never once said that he was bigger than the club, stop being hysterical.

If we keep producing performances devoid of creativity then I'll keep mentioning him yeah.

Simple question requiring a binary answer. Do you know more about how to build a team than Bunn and Rhodes?

4 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Simple question requiring a binary answer. Do you know more about how to build a team than Bunn and Rhodes?

Possibly, given that none of us have ever done it before.

But using your logic we should close this board down as nobody who isn't a professional footballer is allowed to give an opinion.

• Like 2

Bluddy Hell......you missed an opportunity in not applying then.

But all you state and keep stating is the same point.....we all agree that Byrne has more talent than most of the team but with that talent comes responsibility. He had the opportunity to be a member of this squad but allegedly threw his toys out of the pram just as he did with City, Blackburn and Wigan.....Why is/was that?

With regards to the really dull Byrne argument - isn't the issue that we're not taking our chances, rather than not creating anything?

In which case it's not Byrne's creativity we're missing, more Eoin Doyle's ability to score goals..

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

For all Byrnes failings I do honestly think we'd be top of the league right now if we had the player from the start of last season in the squad, but there in lies the problem. 

We thought that with Baxter, but despite supposedly needing games, he can't get a game.

Edited by BP1960

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

With regards to the really dull Byrne argument - isn't the issue that we're not taking our chances, rather than not creating anything?

In which case it's not Byrne's creativity we're missing, more Eoin Doyle's ability to score goals..

The point is we don't create many chances and statistics back this up, we look really pretty in our build up play but if a team like MK and Newport come here with a game plan of sitting in with two banks of 4 and hoping to nick it then it's going to be much of the same at home.

Tactically we are pretty naive, making substitutions in injury time is an example and two at that, as soon as they scored yesterday we needed to react, three at the back, even leave O'Grady on and push Lang and Surridge up there with him and give them something to worry about. Bunn when things look bad on the pitch just looks beaten - he needs to inspire and galvanise it's a huge part of the job and would make a massive difference to the team, it's as if we don't have a Plan B never mind a C, D or E and going forward it's a worry, one more thing from yesterday was why the reluctance to shoot? We took shots from 40 yards away but when we worked the ball around the edge of the box we were just looking to overplay, Surridge in particular was guilty of this.

This league really is piss poor and it will be a travesty if we can't finish in the top half dozen given what I've seen, 10th is not too bad at the minute but it should be so much better.

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The point is we don't create many chances and statistics back this up, we look really pretty in our build up play but if a team like MK and Newport come here with a game plan of sitting in with two banks of 4 and hoping to nick it then it's going to be much of the same at home.

Tactically we are pretty naive, making substitutions in injury time is an example and two at that, as soon as they scored yesterday we needed to react, three at the back, even leave O'Grady on and push Lang and Surridge up there with him and give them something to worry about. Bunn when things look bad on the pitch just looks beaten - he needs to inspire and galvanise it's a huge part of the job and would make a massive difference to the team, it's as if we don't have a Plan B never mind a C, D or E and going forward it's a worry, one more thing from yesterday was why the reluctance to shoot? We took shots from 40 yards away but when we worked the ball around the edge of the box we were just looking to overplay, Surridge in particular was guilty of this.

This league really is piss poor and it will be a travesty if we can't finish in the top half dozen given what I've seen, 10th is not too bad at the minute but it should be so much better.

Not 100% sure we have a cogent Plan A...

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sounds like Bunn's the problem rather than Byrne's departure.

If Byrne was here, he wouldn't just magic us into a better team -  he'd have to play to the tactics chosen by the manager..

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If Byrne was here, he wouldn't just magic us into a better team -  he'd have to play to the tactics chosen by the manager..

And therein lies the problem in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Don’t forget that Bunn is still a relative rookie when it comes to this managerial game. He is slowly building a team approach and, more importantly, a team spirit. He will make mistakes but it is how he learns from them and develops as a manager that will ultimately define his tenure. Success is the measure but success is relative. 

If Frankie was sat having a beer with me right now I would ask him a couple of questions:

Why did you wait until so late in the game to make your final two substitutions?

Why do you still bring everyone back for corners/attacking free kicks?

Maybe his response would make me think that he was right in his approach... and maybe it wouldn’t ?

18 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He's gone, get over it ??

But in reply I think that is why he doesn't fancy Baxter, wants grafters who play in their zones.

Whilst I'm disappointed with the result it sounds as though we actually played quite well for large parts of the game (I wasn't there so just going off what others have said).  What I would add though is that, for various reasons, we were missing seven members of our squad...Iversen, Dummigan, Fane, Coke, Lyden, Nepomuceno and Miller.  That's not far off a third of the squad.  I think most teams would struggle with losing a third of their squad and I'm optimistic that once we get some of those players back we will still be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

But in reply I think that is why he doesn't fancy Baxter, wants grafters who play in their zones.

Where's this "he doesn't fancy Baxter" come from ? Is it just made up to substantiate an argument or has he actually said it ?

For my part I'm not sure the current Baxter is a shoe in for our team as he seems a bit off the pace, especially in the last two games he's appeared in.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Yep, and that approach creates a team which is easier to support than the majority of anything we saw last season. The squad is arguably less talented (and it is arguable, in my opinion..) but if the work ethic remains it'll be hard to get on their backs (although inevitably some will..).

People have commented on there not being a Plan B. Surely bringing Baxter on off the bench is at least a Plan B, and there's probably other subtle changes that have been made that suggests FB can switch things around when needed?

I think FB's actually doing alright. Funny how quiet the forum was last week - one bad result against the team who are joint top and this place explodes!

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Where's this "he doesn't fancy Baxter" come from ? Is it just made up to substantiate an argument or has he actually said it ?

For my part I'm not sure the current Baxter is a shoe in for our team as he seems a bit off the pace, especially in the last two games he's appeared in.

Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Whilst I'm disappointed with the result it sounds as though we actually played quite well for large parts of the game (I wasn't there so just going off what others have said).  What I would add though is that, for various reasons, we were missing seven members of our squad...Iversen, Dummigan, Fane, Coke, Lyden, Nepomuceno and Miller.  That's not far off a third of the squad.  I think most teams would struggle with losing a third of their squad and I'm optimistic that once we get some of those players back we will still be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

You're way to positive to be posting on here ! Much better (even allowing for the fact you've not been to the match) that you belittle out of form players labeling them as shit; criticize the manager's negative tactics and substitutions and harp on about an ex-player who played well in about 10 games in a season where we got relegated. 

I was amazed reading this board after yesterday's match to read the majority of posters saying it was a poor match. I thought it was the best I'd seen us play all season and with a little more luck ( first half penalty? three missed second half headers ? ) and a propensity to shoot when nearing the box could have won by a fair margin.  

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Yep, and that approach creates a team which is easier to support than the majority of anything we saw last season. The squad is arguably less talented (and it is arguable, in my opinion..) but if the work ethic remains it'll be hard to get on their backs (although inevitably some will..).

People have commented on there not being a Plan B. Surely bringing Baxter on off the bench is at least a Plan B, and there's probably other subtle changes that have been made that suggests FB can switch things around when needed?

I think FB's actually doing alright. Funny how quiet the forum was last week - one bad result against the team who are joint top and this place explodes!

Some are happy just to go and watch a game, some people are happy to watch anything as long as the team is winning and others want to see exciting attacking football.

Yesterday probably wasn't the worst of the home performances but when you talk about making your home a fortress then you have got to back it up with intent, 30 minutes yesterday to have a meaningful shot.

Byrne was a knob, end of, didn't actual do much once he signed last season did he, let's just forget him and move on please. All this chat that we would be top of the league if we were playing him is just plain childish twaddle. Football is a team game, best played with a good team spirit

Missile was better than Gardner, yet what baffled me was why he was the one taken off.

I haven't seen Zeus before yesterday, but from what I saw (admittedly it's only one game) he could well have been our 1st. choice keeper. He made some really good saves, and his distribution is better than Iversens. If he had replaced Placide last season when Placide lost the plot, we ay well have stayed up.

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The statistics don’t back this up at all yesterday, 13 shots with 5 on target. The fourth best in yesterday’s L2 fixtures. 

11 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

The statistics don’t back this up at all yesterday, 13 shots with 5 on target. The fourth best in yesterday’s L2 fixtures. 

On reflection it was a probably the best peformancce of the season.

it's fine margins, Newport scored a goal, whereas a similar attempt by Surridge flashed just wide.

• Like 1