Newport (H)

6 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

You're way to positive to be posting on here ! Much better (even allowing for the fact you've not been to the match) that you belittle out of form players labeling them as shit; criticize the manager's negative tactics and substitutions and harp on about an ex-player who played well in about 10 games in a season where we got relegated. 

I was amazed reading this board after yesterday's match to read the majority of posters saying it was a poor match. I thought it was the best I'd seen us play all season and with a little more luck ( first half penalty? three missed second half headers ? ) and a propensity to shoot when nearing the box could have won by a fair margin.  

Ha ha, yes, far too positive an opinion!  Maybe it's because I haven't been on here long enough!

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

On reflection it was a probably the best peformancce of the season.

it's fine margins, Newport scored a goal, whereas a similar attempt by Surridge flashed just wide.

But...but...but...doncha know we would have  won 10-1 with Byrne in there!!!

Edited by mikejh45

12 hours ago, latics22 said:

didn’t go yesterday, looked like we battered them in the highlights. Read a few welsh reports also, said they were under the cosh most of the game 

Somewhat true. They had a good 10 mins in the first half where they could have had a couple, and 5 mins in the 2nd when they scored. We dominated the rest of the game, but didn't really look like scoring.

14 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Somewhat true. They had a good 10 mins in the first half where they could have had a couple, and 5 mins in the 2nd when they scored. We dominated the rest of the game, but didn't really look like scoring.

Even though Surridge, Baxter and Branger all had chances they should of scored or at least hit the target with.

15 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Dmp8J1qX4AAc8TN.jpg

I am going to make you all get on board with xG. 

Checks the table and sees that Northampton are in 20th, but MK Dons, Colchester, Lincoln, Newport and Forest Green are above us. Realises the vertical position shows more correlation to doing well than the horizontal position and forgets about it until it’s brought up again.

I agree with those that have said we were decent without a cutting edge. Best home performance in a while for me, we had balls coming in from both wings, attacked through the middle and brought the ball out of defence into attack quite well at times. In the middle Missilou had a few yard dog spells and Gardner had another all action 60 mins before the usual gas out, Edmundson is coming on leaps and bounds with Clarke next to him, Hunt did well at both ends of the pitch and the front line is about a month away from clicking. One good point blank save from Zeus and our defending from most set plays looked organised and players knew their jobs.

Yes there were bad points, occasionally running out of ideas, at times strikers were in crossing positions but no one in the box and I think the three games in a week on the sapping swamp started to affect our players so the subs could have been a bit earlier but there's a long season ahead, we don't play a top side each week.

If you look at a home game at the back end of last season and compare it to Saturday there is a marked improvement and it looks like there is still more to come from the players that were on that pitch and those who have yet to get a run in the team. Baxter has had two introductions from the bench this week after his first 90 mins, maybe that the 90 mins took more out of him than first thought as he has been subdued in both games since Tuesday, he's not match fit yet but does appear to be better when he starts as he gets the pace of the game well rather than picking it up when he's a sub.

We've still got a lot of youngster learning the game and making the occasional mistake but as experience is gained these will become less. Despite losing I thought we were ok, starting to get some green shoots.

“he's not match fit yet but does appear to be better when he starts as he gets the pace of the game well rather than picking it up when he's a sub.

I can’t really agree with that...whilst I haven’t seen much of Baxter to date I did see him come on as a sub for half an hour at FGR and change our whole dynamic immediately... he was the best player on the pitch!

On 9/9/2018 at 11:51 AM, yarddog73 said:

For all Byrnes failings I do honestly think we'd be top of the league right now if we had the player from the start of last season in the squad, but there in lies the problem. 

He'd probably get a call up to the Ireland squad - given the turmoil and fighting going on behind the scenes with Ireland at the moment he'd probably be a calming influence!

4 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

He'd probably get a call up to the Ireland squad - given the turmoil and fighting going on behind the scenes with Ireland at the moment he'd probably be a calming influence!

Thing is in honesty if we Byrne had been playing from the start we'd be top no question. I think we would have won at Forest Green and Yeovil and on the balance we were probably better than MK Dons on the day. I thought this league was going to be tougher than its proving to be. We should have won on Saturday but we are lacking up top. Getting Baxter up to speed will be the difference IMO. 

8 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Thing is in honesty if we Byrne had been playing from the start we'd be top no question. I think we would have won at Forest Green and Yeovil and on the balance we were probably better than MK Dons on the day. I thought this league was going to be tougher than its proving to be. We should have won on Saturday but we are lacking up top. Getting Baxter up to speed will be the difference IMO. 

But could Byrne and Maouche play in the same team together?