Newport (H)

9 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Thing is in honesty if we Byrne had been playing from the start we'd be top no question. 

Well a few questions. 

Would he have thrown a strop? 

Would he have damaged team spirit? 

Would his head have stayed on? 

Would he have tried to do it all? 

Would he have broken another team mate's leg? 

Would he have fallen out with management? 

But apart from those, hardly any questions. 

Edited by Dave_Og

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well a few questions. 

Would he have broken another team mate's LG? 

Mere trifling, old boy...…..things to be glossed over.

No matter how many times you mention valid reasons such as the above, there are some who would argue that inclusion in the team because of his skill is paramount and any detrimental and unsettling behaviour is not Byrne's fault but that of the City, Blackburn, Wigan and now Oldham management/owners/coaching staff for not letting him have his own way and, foolishly, expecting him to be a squad member first.

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well a few questions. 

Would he have broken another team mate's LG? 

Teams win trophies / success not individuals

If Jack was half as troublesome as has been suggested, Frankie Bunn would have been a fool to keep him

Lack of a strong team spirit got us relegated last season

Edited by tGWB

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Mere trifling, old boy...…..things to be glossed over.

No matter how many times you mention valid reasons such as the above, there are some who would argue that inclusion in the team because of his skill is paramount and any detrimental and unsettling behaviour is not Byrne's fault but that of the City, Blackburn, Wigan and now Oldham management/owners/coaching staff for not letting him have his own way and, foolishly, expecting him to be a squad member first.

Bigger clubs can afford to move quality players on if they wish because they can go and get another one - we might get a Byrne once every 10 years.

Would they have been so keen to get him out the door so quickly if he was earning 1k a week rather than 6? I think not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Would they have been so keen to get him out the door so quickly if he was earning 1k a week rather than 6? I think not.

The owner appears to have acknowledged that he made some big mistakes last season. A few have been corrected, including this one. Hopefully another lesson well learned. 

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The owner appears to have acknowledged that he made some big mistakes last season. A few have been corrected, including this one. Hopefully another lesson well learned. 

Perhaps he should have acknowledged the real reason for the departure rather than hiding behind hazy 'disciplinary issues' - let us not forget that Fane was removed from the squad at the backend of last season and yet is still with us.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Perhaps he should have acknowledged the real reason for the departure rather than hiding behind hazy 'disciplinary issues' - let us not forget that Fane was removed from the squad at the backend of last season and yet is still with us.

If Jack was half as good a player as some fans portray him as, we would have stayed up and not found ourselves in a League below Accrington Stanley

That's the reality  

29 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why should he disclose the reasons? It's a "behind closed doors" issue and maybe Fane acknowledged, for whatever reason he was suspended, and apologised. You are not entitled to know.

As Dave stated above, AL has admitted he has made mistakes.....you seem to want a full warts-and-all explanation so you can throw further rocks. The outcome reached has suited all parties.

Just as an aside because you are a staunch Byrne defender......is there any reason, in your mind, that Byrne can be blamed for what has gone on?

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

After reading the reports on here from Saturdays game, it would appear that we had a competent goalkeeper, he just couldn't get a game. 

For me, Zeus was okay to be fair and being only 23, I would suggest could be coached into a competent Keeper 

Daniel Iversen our clear No1 though

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Why should he disclose the reasons? It's a "behind closed doors" issue and maybe Fane acknowledged, for whatever reason he was suspended, and apologised. You are not entitled to know.

As Dave stated above, AL has admitted he has made mistakes.....you seem to want a full warts-and-all explanation so you can throw further rocks. The outcome reached has suited all parties.

Just as an aside because you are a staunch Byrne defender......is there any reason, in your mind, that Byrne can be blamed for what has gone on?

"We can't afford to sustain Jack's contract in this division and will therefore reluctantly listen to offers for him"

Dead easy.

38 minutes ago, tGWB said:

For me, Zeus was okay to be fair and being only 23, I would suggest could be coached into a competent Keeper 

Daniel Iversen our clear No1 though

Without doubt iversen is 1st choice, but perhaps Wellens should have given Zeus a go last season. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

let us not forget that Fane was removed from the squad at the backend of last season and yet is still with us.

Fane was all set to go as well the week Byrne broke his leg, fee agreed with another club and the deal was all but done and dusted, compounded what happened on the training ground and was a double whammy for the club, suspect Fane will also be moved out at the first opportunity. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

After reading the reports on here from Saturdays game, it would appear that we had a competent goalkeeper, he just couldn't get a game. 

Takes more than two games for me to personally judge that. I dont like the way he looks to punch relatively easy catches tbh. Iverson to me, looks the better of the two SO FAR . Although I think his positioning looks a bit suspect at times. 

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Takes more than two games for me to personally judge that. I dont like the way he looks to punch relatively easy catches tbh. Iverson to me, looks the better of the two SO FAR . Although I think his positioning looks a bit suspect at times. 

If you'd seen him trying to catch one against Barnsley you would know why he punches. Iversen will be back for sure.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Fane was all set to go as well the week Byrne broke his leg, fee agreed with another club and the deal was all but done and dusted, compounded what happened on the training ground and was a double whammy for the club, suspect Fane will also be moved out at the first opportunity. 

Rumour has it he was going to Lincoln

6 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

Apparently, social media means everybody has to know everything about everybody else, even if they don't want to.

As an aside, I am in charge of a team of fourteen people, thirteen of whom are reasonably behaved team players and competent workers and one is an obstinate, lazy non-team participant who has the knack of throwing morale sapping rants, breeding discontent and animosity amongst the others. I wish I could be rid of this person, who is on a final warning, so my wish may soon come true...although a transfer to another team will not be on the cards...dismissal will.

10 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Apparently, social media means everybody has to know everything about everybody else, even if they don't want to.

As an aside, I am in charge of a team of fourteen people, thirteen of whom are reasonably behaved team players and competent workers and one is an obstinate, lazy non-team participant who has the knack of throwing morale sapping rants, breeding discontent and animosity amongst the others. I wish I could be rid of this person, who is on a final warning, so my wish may soon come true...although a transfer to another team will not be on the cards...dismissal will.

Do they get their not inconsiderable wages paid late every month as well?