Newport (H)

8 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Bigger clubs can afford to move quality players on if they wish because they can go and get another one - we might get a Byrne once every 10 years.

Would they have been so keen to get him out the door so quickly if he was earning 1k a week rather than 6? I think not.

Trust me on this, Byrne's wage had nothing to do with him being suspended and moved on. 

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

"We can't afford to sustain Jack's contract in this division and will therefore reluctantly listen to offers for him"

Dead easy.

I repeat, that was not the reason, and I will say no more than that. It's up to you whether you believe it or not.

7 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Perhaps he should have acknowledged the real reason for the departure rather than hiding behind hazy 'disciplinary issues' - let us not forget that Fane was removed from the squad at the backend of last season and yet is still with us.

AL was not "hiding". There is, as I've said elsewhere, such a thing as employee confidentiality. Let me give you an example. A bus driver is rude to you and overcharges you for your fare. You report him to the company. Irrespective of what the company do to him, you will not find out the result of any disciplinary interview, except that you can be told that the matter has been dealt with appropriately. Employee confidentiality at work. 

Can we now please drop this whole Byrne thing? He's gone, he ain't coming back, we move on without him and with what we've got until the next window. Let's just concentrating on supporting the players we have and not be constantly wondering how much better/worse we would be if player X, Y or Z was still here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Trust me on this, Byrne's wage had nothing to do with him being suspended and moved on. 

I repeat, that was not the reason, and I will say no more than that. It's up to you whether you believe it or not.

AL was not "hiding". There is, as I've said elsewhere, such a thing as employee confidentiality. Let me give you an example. A bus driver is rude to you and overcharges you for your fare. You report him to the company. Irrespective of what the company do to him, you will not find out the result of any disciplinary interview, except that you can be told that the matter has been dealt with appropriately. Employee confidentiality at work. 

Can we now please drop this whole Byrne thing? He's gone, he ain't coming back, we move on without him and with what we've got until the next window. Let's just concentrating on supporting the players we have and not be constantly wondering how much better/worse we would be if player X, Y or Z was still here.

To be honest I'm not really bothered if the lad himself told you, I've got my own views about it and they are unlikely to change.

Not sure why a player who left two weeks ago should be off limits when people still pap on about players from 5, 10, 30 years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

“Worst attitude I’ve come across in all my years in football”

Member of current management/coaching team on JB.

3 hours ago, Wardie said:

Apparently, social media means everybody has to know everything about everybody else, even if they don't want to.

As an aside, I am in charge of a team of fourteen people, thirteen of whom are reasonably behaved team players and competent workers and one is an obstinate, lazy non-team participant who has the knack of throwing morale sapping rants, breeding discontent and animosity amongst the others. I wish I could be rid of this person, who is on a final warning, so my wish may soon come true...although a transfer to another team will not be on the cards...dismissal will.

The old bad apple adage?

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Do they get their not inconsiderable wages paid late every month as well?

Thankfully, no. The financial hassle usually comes regarding overtime...their perception of how much they have done and my reality of the recorded hours. There is no clocking in or out, as such, they sign a book and I think their timings can be a bit creative, to say the least. I can't imagine the furore, if they got paid late, although there has been the odd times when a wage has gone unpaid because of admin error.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

“Worst attitude I’ve come across in all my years in football”

Member of current management/coaching team on JB.

If this is true really makes I wonder what the hell was going on under wellens! Him gerrard and davies, no wonder we went down. Obvs got walked over as a manger, had no balls. AL stepped in and did what he had too!

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Perhaps he should have acknowledged the real reason for the departure rather than hiding behind hazy 'disciplinary issues' - let us not forget that Fane was removed from the squad at the backend of last season and yet is still with us.

I was citing the long contract as a mistake rather than the financial rewards/obligations that it involved. 

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

"We can't afford to sustain Jack's contract in this division and will therefore reluctantly listen to offers for him"

Dead easy.

Sounds a lot better than "Byrne is an arrogant, disruptive little tw*t and we don't want him anywhere near the first team"......I think yours is a better sales pitch whereas mine is probably nearer the mark.

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

To be honest I'm not really bothered if the lad himself told you, I've got my own views about it and they are unlikely to change.

Not sure why a player who left two weeks ago should be off limits when people still pap on about players from 5, 10, 30 years ago.

I would say most of those players of past times who are still being talked about have earned the right to be discussed.

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If your view is unlikely to change, then why post? 

Why do you still want to discuss a player who is no longer here? 

I hope your not stirring the pot eyersy. . . 

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Byrne had 2 years left to run on an alleged £5k a week (£260k per year) contract. If we can't afford the contract then we sure as hell cant afford the pay out which could be upto £500k.

Spot on. 

It makes no sense. 

‘We’re struggling to maintain your wage Jack, so instead can we make up a load of stuff, and compromise on a pay off, say a year’s salary- would 250k be ok Jack?  

5 hours ago, Handsy said:

What number bus was it

Probably the same driver who was so angry at a request to put down a wheelchair ramp he smashed it  against the pavement. He then told all the passenegers to get off the bus as it was out of service and he was taking  it back to the depot.

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Mike Milligan tried to sue the club. Still a hero on here.

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Byrne had 2 years left to run on an alleged £5k a week (£260k per year) contract. If we can't afford the contract then we sure as hell cant afford the pay out which could be upto £500k.

Who said anything about that? We'll probably still be paying him.

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

“Jack was a top lad - nicest bloke I’ve ever met. Bit of a crazy bastard though, you’d have to be to turn down offers from bigger clubs to sign for tinpot Oldham.”

Genuine quote from one of the playing staff. 

Yet he ends up at the mighty Kilmarnock when he's desperate to stay in the Northwest :laught16: Enjoy the commute top lad. :chubb:

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

“Jack was a top lad - nicest bloke I’ve ever met. Bit of a crazy bastard though, you’d have to be to turn down offers from bigger clubs to sign for tinpot Oldham.”

Genuine quote from one of the playing staff. 

Craig Davies? Or fat lad? 

“Playing staff” kinda renders the quote worthless.  What you mean is “one of his pals in the team”.