Newport (H)

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You ask for consistency and balance, but don’t offer the same.  That reply is so one eyed. 

Was the owner to blame in part? Yes. The only reason? No chance. 

The fixture list has been kind, but so what? It only means something if you expect us to romp the league this season. I don’t. If we finish mid table this year- which we will. Then we can a have go next year. (I’ll give AL a season to get costs under control, if the squad is this thin again next season- I’ll have more serious concerns) 

Wellens played the best football from September to December- fuck me that’s generous. We played really well for the first six games. Then faded badly. Really badly.  Wellens was also absolutey desperate to take the job under AL. He’d already seen shez go, so he came in with his eyes wide open. He had a squad full of quality, but couldn’t get the best out of them. He brought 8 players of his own in Jan. Some (Benyu) hardly featured. The #frenchlads never played. Doesn’t look like enormous pressure to play certain people to me. Just a poor manager after a honeymoon period. 

Your doing exactly what you claim others do. Exonerating the 3 bad apples of anything and blaming AL for everything.  The truth is somewhere in between. When do we give AL a break? Never? 

I would accept that the group of players underperformed as a whole in the final third of the season, people can make their own judgements on why that was.

Wellens went from putting the cones out to manager overnight, it would have been more surprising if he did have all the answers to the problems that surfaced - I don't believe the sample size is big enough to determine what kind of manager he is yet.

Relative to the teams we have yet to face the fixture list has been kind.

We should, or should have been, be looking to win promotion this season.

Bunn is almost starting from scratch, it’s going to take some time to get everyone in sync, he’s said so himself.

We are picking up points whilst not playing how many of us would like to be playing.

If Bunn is given the time to do the job I believe he will be successful.

We have a management team who care deeply about our club and a togetherness on the field the like of which I haven’t seen for for several seasons.

Instead of highlighting every negative, just support the team and manager and see where it takes us!

42 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You ask for consistency and balance, but don’t offer the same.  That reply is so one eyed. 

The fixture list has been kind, but so what? It only means something if you expect us to romp the league this season. I don’t. If we finish mid table this year- which we will. Then we can a have go next year. (I’ll give AL a season to get costs under control, if the squad is this thin again next season- I’ll have more serious concerns) 

Wellens played the best football from September to December- fuck me that’s generous. We played really well for the first six games. Then faded badly. Really badly.  Wellens was also absolutey desperate to take the job under AL. He’d already seen shez go, so he came in with his eyes wide open. He had a squad full of quality, but couldn’t get the best out of them. He brought 8 players of his own in Jan. Some (Benyu) hardly featured. The #frenchlads never played. Doesn’t look like enormous pressure to play certain people to me. Just a poor manager after a honeymoon period. 

Your doing exactly what you claim others do. Exonerating the 3 bad apples of anything and blaming AL for everything.  The truth is somewhere in between. When do we give AL a break? Never? 

Pretty fair analysis I'd say.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Suggest you read what I said again, we are talking post injury here you know the spell where he did fuck all and looked a completely different player.

Unfair to say he took the piss.

In the games I saw he worked his socks off but his magic touch had deserted him.

If a few others had shown the same commitment we wouldn't be where we are now.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

But the reality is we've played four of the top nine and we could easily of been sitting second if we'd got a result Saturday. 

Tables pretty fluid in these early stages but that is true and I understand why people might get excited by it.

Personally I take the old fashioned view that you play everyone once and then see where you are.

50 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Bunn is almost starting from scratch,

I keep reading/hearing this......

Hunt, Fane and Dummigan (once fit), Edmundson, Clarke, Stott, Hamer, Gardner, Gevaro, Maouche all still here from last season's "good lads, I know they took us down but glad they've stayed".....

Iversen was clearly already pretty good.

O'Grady, Baxter and Taylor will need little, if any, managing..... 

Steve Robinson was starting from scratch.

Bunn has inherited half his first choice 11 a  league lower 

Edited by HarryBosch

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

During the summer many people seemed to suggest there was no real gap in quality between leagues 1 and 2 from what I have seen their is definitley a gap.

So far Ive seen nothing to fear in terms of opposition and any worries that we would sink to non-league have so far been unfounded.

The gap between the top of League Two and the bottom of League One isn't particularly big, but the gap between the top of L1 and the bottom of L2 is massive.

I've seen Exeter, Carlisle, Forest Green, Newport, Yeovil, Lincoln, Notts County and us so far this season.  The interesting thing is that all of those teams bar one are in the top half because on the whole those teams have been average (not bad) but unspectacular.

Lincoln were the best of the lot.  Powerful up front, quick on the flanks and a rock solid defensive unit.  Yet they aren't going to win this league because of being a quality football team, it's because they know how to manage matches and, quite frankly, don't have a problem being a bunch of arseholes in order to get the win.

Exeter can be good and have the talent in midfield (Nicky Law being the standout) but I'm not convinced yet they'll be consistent enough over the season.  And Notts County have the talent on paper but are currently a shambolic disorganised mess.  Harry Kewell will sink or swim in management based on this job.

The rest really are much of a muchness despite being in the top half and I include us in that category.  Whether Bunn can turn this squad into promotion challenger is clearly up for debate, but he deserves credit for making us a solid unit at this stage and if we really were a team/club in crisis, I guarantee we would be floundering like Macc, Morecambe and Notts are.

20 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Hunt, Fane and Dummigan (once fit), Edmundson, Clarke, Stott, Hamer, Gardner, Gevaro, Maouche all still here from last season's "good lads, I know they took us down but glad they've stayed".....

Where has this  ‘good lads but they took us down’ come from? 

Your another one who likes to just makes things up. You’ve no idea if their ‘good lads’ they just happen to have not pissed the owner off, or be in breach of contract. So he’s willing to keep them on their contract. That’s it. 

Also, did you want all the squad replaced? Bad lad, good lad, frenchlad. . You got us relegated so fuck off? 

Or do you just want a team full of pricks?

I bet your missing the Lee Hughes, Ched Evans days. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Where has this  ‘good lads but they took us down’ come from? 

Your another one who likes to just makes things up. You’ve no idea if their ‘good lads’ they just happen to have not pissed the owner off, or be in breach of contract. So he’s willing to keep them on their contract. That’s it. 

Also, did you want all the squad replaced? Bad lad, good lad, frenchlad. . You got us relegated so fuck off? 

Or do you just want a team full of pricks?

I bet your missing the Lee Hughes, Ched Evans days. 

And then, and then - he just.......... :lol:  

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

I've made peace to some extent with AL being owner as there have been signs this season that he's learnt some lessons and things, on and off the pitch, seem to have improved.

But I think you underestimate the effect the #frenchlads shambles might have had on the team last season. It's irrelevant whether they played or not - having them here in the first place undermined Wellens (regardless of how you rate him as a manager..) and if the inflated wage rumour was true then the effect on team morale could potentially have been massive.

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I've made peace to some extent with AL being owner as there have been signs this season that he's learnt some lessons and things, on and off the pitch, seem to have improved.

But I think you underestimate the effect the #frenchlads shambles might have had on the team last season. It's irrelevant whether they played or not - having them here in the first place undermined Wellens (regardless of how you rate him as a manager..) and if the inflated wage rumour was true then the effect on team morale could potentially have been massive.

I agree. I feel exactly the same. 

It was a perfect storm. Rookie manager, very over excited new owner. Huge squad, awful recruitment. Power struggle for the club, people taking sides. Divisions and little cliques. End result- relegation. 

But you hit the point in the first paragraph. Things do show sign of improvement. The main one being- no mass influx of #frenchlads. So he backed his word up this season- ie learnt from his mistake. 

Managers come and go.

Players come and go. 

Owners who are willing to take on struggling lower league sides- less so. 

IMO. We need to acknowledge that last season was a mare for a whole host of reasons; and try and move on now. 

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Have Coke and Miller slipped your mind?

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Given his past problems, Baxter will need more managing than the rest of the team put together...