Hoping we get some bodies in to take us to the next step. If Surridge isn’t fit i’d give Lang a start he looked fast but couldn’t get into the game on Saturday because we parked the bus and had no interest in attacking. Hope Baxter lasts a bit longer this time as well he’s the difference at the moment. 

For me, Baxter in the middle would complete a very stable team spine. 

Iverson, Eddie and the rapidly improving COG have, apart from the first two games, been extremely impressive.

Build the team around that lot and we become a decent side. Taylor on the left and Dummingingigam on the right provide the balance.

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

With what we've got I'd be moving Baxter into midfield and partnering Surridge with O'Grady upfront.

Good call.

Midfield is crying out for someone other than Gardner who can put his foot on the ball and keep hold of it, someone who can make that link to the forwards.

No point having him up top if we are playing long to o'grady, although he works 100%, I think a different style would suit us with what we have got.

Unless Surridge is fit or we make a marquee signing this week do we need to make a change to the starting line up?

While not being brilliant we are getting the wins and confidence must be growing. We've got no midweek game so no need to rest anyone either.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

Unless Surridge is fit or we make a marquee signing this week do we need to make a change to the starting line up?

While not being brilliant we are getting the wins and confidence must be growing.

No just by moving Baxter into a deeper role could help us link play a little better.

Whilst picking up points when not playing too well is a bonus, the chances of that carrying on are slim.

2 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Good call.

Midfield is crying out for someone other than Gardner who can put his foot on the ball and keep hold of it, someone who can make that link to the forwards.

No point having him up top if we are playing long to o'grady, although he works 100%, I think a different style would suit us with what we have got.

Didn't Gardner make a link with the forwards by crossing for one of the goals?

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Ffs BP we know he’s your recommendation but he’s far from perfect. He also played a belting through ball to their lad and then hauled him down on the edge of the box and got booked. No doubt you’ll be spinning it to tell us how well he did to get back so quick. Give it a rest with your over protection and over exaggerating of how great he is (please) . Going off your reports I’m shocked he’s not had a full international call up. He’s average. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes he did BP but my post does say someone other than Gardner meaning at the minute there is a lot on Gardners shoulders in that midfield and I think he needs help. I rate Gardner but he is struggling on his own, I think dropping Baxter into midfield with him would help the team no ends.

Perhaps my post wasn't too clear when I read it back.

You are an experienced and well respected chap, what is your take on the midfield at the moment and how could we improve it with what we've got ?

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Ffs BP we know he’s your recommendation but he’s far from perfect. He also played a belting through ball to their lad and then hauled him down on the edge of the box and got booked. No doubt you’ll be spinning it to tell us how well he did to get back so quick. Give it a rest with your over protection and over exaggerating of how great he is (please) . Going off your reports I’m shocked he’s not had a full international call up. He’s average. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Ouch that's harsh.

1 minute ago, maximus1267 said:

Yes he did BP but my post does say someone other than Gardner meaning at the minute there is a lot on Gardners shoulders in that midfield and I think he needs help. I rate Gardner but he is struggling on his own, I think dropping Baxter into midfield with him would help the team no ends.

Perhaps my post wasn't too clear when I read it back.

You are an experienced and well respected chap, what is your take on the midfield at the moment and how could we improve it with what we've got ?

BP would have a team full of Gardner’s if he could. 

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

In what way ? 

Its just BPs opinion thats all.

I dont think Gardner is as bad as some make out on here and I feel at times looks a decent player. He would be better with the burden of being the play maker of our midfield shared out with a baxter type.

He wasn't great on Saturday and did give the ball away but he also set up a goal. It is league two and unless we have a top budget we will need to stick with these players and hope given a little time and tweaks we will see the teams performances improve.

8 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Its just BPs opinion thats all.

I dont think Gardner is as bad as some make out on here and I feel at times looks a decent player. He would be better with the burden of being the play maker of our midfield shared out with a baxter type.

He wasn't great on Saturday and did give the ball away but he also set up a goal. It is league two and unless we have a top budget we will need to stick with these players and hope given a little time and tweaks we will see the teams performances improve.

I respect BP on here believe it or not. I’m just fed up of him making out Gardner is the complete midfield star. He’s far from it. Ten a penny player at this level. Just cos it was his recommendation he can not and most not be criticised by anyone. Bollocks to that. 

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I respect BP on here believe it or not. I’m just fed up of him making out Gardner is the complete midfield star. He’s far from it. Ten a penny player at this level. Just cos it was his recommendation he can not and most not be criticised by anyone. Bollocks to that. 

Like anyone else you are entitled to your opinion.

IMO hes one of our better players and at times can show glimpses of a decent player, he is inconsistent and can lose the ball but I guess that's why he's a league 2 player, but he can also put his foot on the ball and he can pop up with the odd goal. He is what we have got and I think with a better technical player with him then he would improve.

If we can get better players in then great but if not what would you suggest our midfield should be ?

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Don't like the idea of Baxter in midfield, he's a 10 and that is where he should play.

Totally agree with you but our midfield needs some creativity and someone else to take the pressure off Gardner, Baxter is the only player I can see we have able to do this.

14 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Aren't we all getting fed up of you calling him a ten a penny player, yet he's earned a place in a league higher under several managers.

If you read all my posts I suggested last week he looked to be struggling trying to do too much and needed resting. 

Gardner gives the ball away a lot like all players at this level. On Saturday he was absolutely shattered at the end he had done so much running. To help him out I think we need to play 3 5 2 with Clark, Edmundson and Taylor at the back, Nepo, Missilou, Gardner, Baxter and Banger, COG and Surridge/Lang up front.

6 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Totally agree with you but our midfield needs some creativity and someone else to take the pressure off Gardner, Baxter is the only player I can see we have able to do this.

Not sure creativity is high on the list of attributes Bunn looks for...

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure creativity is high on the list of attributes Bunn looks for...

I don't know him personally but I know someone who does and he does like to play on the front foot, moving the ball quickly but he is torn at the moment because we just don't have the quality or the team is still gelling.

41 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Like anyone else you are entitled to your opinion.

IMO hes one of our better players and at times can show glimpses of a decent player, he is inconsistent and can lose the ball but I guess that's why he's a league 2 player, but he can also put his foot on the ball and he can pop up with the odd goal. He is what we have got and I think with a better technical player with him then he would improve.

If we can get better players in then great but if not what would you suggest our midfield should be ?

Agree with your last sentence. I’d like a better replacement. Don’t think it’s gonna happen tho is it ? So as it is , Gardner plays. I also give him my full support.  I keep my “ fucksakes Gardner” to a minimum mutter as he relentlessly gives the ball away several times per half. 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Agree with your last sentence. I’d like a better replacement. Don’t think it’s gonna happen tho is it ? So as it is , Gardner plays. I also give him my full support.  I keep my “ fucksakes Gardner” to a minimum mutter as he relentlessly gives the ball away several times per half. 

Stick with them, hopefully our fortunes will start to change.