Biggest attendance you've at BP and biggest away following...

....you've seen at BP and biggest one of ours you've been a part of?

Someone posted this on Twitter where it says our capacity at the time was 36,500 which got me wondering what the biggest BP crowd was that I was a part of...

I assumed it would be the title winning match against Sheff Wednesday which had a crowd of 18,809 but West Ham in the League Cup semi final was 19,263 - were there any even bigger attendances around that time? 

In fact Everton in the FA Cup 2nd replay was 19,346, the first game was 19,320 - were you one of the 26 miserable bastards who didn't turn up for the last game? 

Not sure what my biggest away following would have been - did we take about 8,000 to Old Trafford the first year we were in the top flight or around that time?  

I remember City filling the RRE when it was all standing and having a few in our ends.. 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Someone posted this on Twitter where it says our capacity at the time was 36,500 which got me wondering what the biggest BP crowd was that I was a part of...

In fact Everton in the FA Cup 2nd replay was 19,346, the first game was 19,320 - were you one of the 26 miserable bastards who didn't turn up? 

Yep, can't remember why but I couldn't go to the first game.  I actually went to watch Rochdale the same day at Palace.

3 minutes ago, pk200 said:

42,000 v Liverpool  FA Cup early 1960's

I was there too. 3rd Round January 1962. I was in the RRE with my mate in the middle of a few thousand Scousers. And they were a fantastic bunch. If Bobby Johnstone's shot that hit the bar and bounced in and out (I'm sure it did) had been given, we'd have had a replay.

Liverpool got promoted to the old first division that season.

2 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

19263 for the St. Valentines Massacre at home to West Ham in the League Cup semi final for home attendance... and biggest away following was the 32000 Latics ‘fans’ that made the trip to the Wembley final

I wouldn't count that as an away following and it's my thread so, try again... :grin:

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I was there too. 3rd Round January 1962. I was in the RRE with my mate in the middle of a few thousand Scousers. And they were a fantastic bunch. If Bobby Johnstone's shot that hit the bar and bounced in and out (I'm sure it did) had been given, we'd have had a replay.

Liverpool got promoted to the old first division that season.

Didn't Johnny Colquhoon have one disallowed? (memory's not what it was)

24 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

...Sheff Wednesday which had a crowd of 18,809 but West Ham in the League Cup semi final was 19,263 - were there any even bigger attendances around that time? 

....Everton in the FA Cup 2nd replay was 19,346, the first game was 19,320 - were you one of the 26 miserable bastards who didn't turn up for the last game? 

Not sure what my biggest away following would have been - did we take about 8,000 to Old Trafford the first year we were in the top flight or around that time?  

Was at all of those games.... and the Villa Q/F, which I think topped 19k as well?

I seem to remember we played United at O/T in the League Cup not long after that League game, where we got an even bigger allocation?

26 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

....you've seen at BP and biggest one of ours you've been a part of?

I assumed it would be the title winning match against Sheff Wednesday which had a crowd of 18,809 but West Ham in the League Cup semi final was 19,263 - were there any even bigger attendances around that time? 

In fact Everton in the FA Cup 2nd replay was 19,346, the first game was 19,320 - were you one of the 26 miserable bastards who didn't turn up for the last game? 

I remember City filling the RRE when it was all standing and having a few in our ends.. 

Thought we only got around 4000 for Old Trafford game and slightly less for Anfield,  couldn't get a ticket for Old Trafford.

1 minute ago, pk200 said:

Didn't Johnny Colquhoon have one disallowed? (memory's not what it was)

Ooh, I can't remember. Old age kicks in. But I do remember my mate was called Chris Billings, but I've not seen him for over 50 years. I wonder what he's up to these days?

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

Was at all of those games.... and the Villa Q/F, which I think topped 19k as well?

I seem to remember we played United at O/T in the League Cup not long after that League game, where we got an even bigger allocation?

Yes, 19,490 v Villa so bigger than Everton...

That sounds familiar it being  a League Cup game - we played that Dec 91 after playing the league game in the August. Probably a bigger allocation for the cup game... 

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Yes but the league game was much less at the start of the season.

I’m agreeing with you.... I went to both. In the League game, we had the terrace behind the goal and some seats in the corner - where away fans are still located at O/T. In the League Cup game we had the whole end, terrace and seating. That was our biggest during that time I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Ooh, I can't remember. Old age kicks in. But I do remember my mate was called Chris Billings, but I've not seen him for over 50 years. I wonder what he's up to these days?

Changed his name to Chris Biggins and made a career out of playing panto dames.

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Yes, 19,490 v Villa so bigger than Everton...

That sounds familiar it being  a League Cup game - we played that Dec 91 after playing the league game in the August. Probably a bigger allocation for the cup game... 

My two abiding memories of that League Cup game were; Barrett had Hughes in his pocket and the nasty welsh b@stard resorted to fouling him to try to get his own way..... & Kanchelskis absolutely roasted Andy Barlow.... The first of a number of occasions he tormented us. He used to frighten me to death.

4 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

Yes, we took 8K to that League Cup game... the one where David Currie ‘shit out’ against Schmeicel when he should have scored?

....that was the League game. :lol:

This is where we need @oafcprozac to confirm the fine detail.... but my memory recalls him doing that in the 1st half of the League game.... McClair scored about 5 mins from the end. IIRC it was also Craig Fleming’s debut?

Somewhat railroading @HarryBosch‘s thread.... players who’ve you seen score against us the most;

McClair has to be right up there for me.

1 x 90 FA Cup S/F replay, Score 1-2

1 x 91/92 League away, Score 0-1

1 x 91/92 League Cup away, Score 0-2

2 x 91/92 League home, Score 3-6

2 x 92/93 League away, Score 0-3

Edited by lookersstandandy

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

Somewhat railroading @HarryBosch‘s thread.... players who’ve you seen score against us the most;

McClair has to be right up there for me.

1 x 90 FA Cup S/F replay, Score 1-2

1 x 91/92 League away, Score 0-1

1 x 91/92 League Cup away, Score 0-2

2 x 91/92 League home, Score 3-6

I suspect Ian Wright would feature in mine