Biggest attendance you've at BP and biggest away following...

Biggest crowd has to be Wembley twice.

Biggest crowd at BP has to be the famous Sheff Wed game. My dad's m8 was a copper at the time and said there was a lot more in the ground than the official gate...which apparently Mr Stott was well known for?

Went Barnsley and Notts Co away thst season they seemed pretty full in the away ends standing

Edited by OAFCinWolves
Addition

9 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Yes Ste I remember sitting in the Ford Stand for that game and the rre was a sea of green and yellow

Was on match of the day that evening.

Motty was the commentator.

Baggies goal scored by Tony Brown who was born in Oldham.

I stayed to see jonnie giles bring out the baggies to celebrate in front of main stand.

20180828_001520.jpg

Remember getting to BP about usual time and as was nearly full by 2.15 having to stand in RRE with West Brom fans. Thought that they were a real dirty team, didn't Alan Groves get clattered every time he got the ball and went off injured in the first 15 mins?

10 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Yes Ste I remember sitting in the Ford Stand for that game and the rre was a sea of green and yellow

Was on match of the day that evening.

Motty was the commentator.

Baggies goal scored by Tony Brown who was born in Oldham.

I stayed to see jonnie giles bring out the baggies to celebrate in front of main stand.

20180828_001520.jpg

I remeber that game. Admittedly I remember going to more games with my Dad than I  actually went to.

But that game we used to go in the Lookers, but that day we were late anyway, so we snook in a gap in the panlleing at the back of the Chaddy thanks to help of some other fans holding it open.

13 hours ago, pk200 said:

42,000 v Liverpool  FA Cup early 1960's

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I was there too,  RRE.

Lost 2-1 to what turned out to be a great Liverpool team.

Me too.  4 January 1962, 41,733 and barriers gave way in the Chaddy.

2 : 1 to Liverpool, Johnny Colquhoun our scorer.  Plus an Oldham goal not dissimilar to Englands world cup goal of '66 disallowed for Oldham.  I think our cross bar was round in those days Jack Rowley had it changed to oval cross section for the following season (this may be myth of course).

Ian St John scored Liverpool's, this was the start of the Liverpool era with Shankly as manager.  Liverpool wer division 2 then I think going up as champions.

Happy days.

Edited by frizzell54

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

I’m not making the rules up here sunshine....

A bit weird that you don’t count Wembley as an away. On the day forest where classed as the home team and we where classed as the away team?. Anyway like you say it’s your thread. Perhaps the thread should have said away attendance at a league ground and not the national stadium. It’s a bit unclear for a thread.

Just now, Smiler13 said:

A bit weird that you don’t count Wembley as an away. On the day forest where classed as the home team and we where classed as the away team?. Anyway like you say it’s your thread. Perhaps the thread should have said away attendance at a league ground and not the national stadium. It’s a bit unclear for a thread.

@HarryBosch Help?

1 hour ago, singe said:

Doubful it is near a record away, but does anyone know roughly how many we took for our promotion party at Ipswich?

About 2500 iirc, went to the Premier League fixture only two seasons later (Sean Mccarthys debut i think) 0-0 in December and less than 100 Latics fans there, I know cos I counted them and went in the pub round the corner that was heaving for the promotion game and I was the only one in there.

Even then ours fans were fickle fuckers.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

About 2500 iirc, went to the Premier League fixture only two seasons later (Sean Mccarthys debut i think) 0-0 in December and less than 100 Latics fans there, I know cos I counted them and went in the pub round the corner that was heaving for the promotion game and I was the only one in there.

Even then ours fans were fickle fuckers.

The Drum and Monkey I think. It was bouncing in 1991...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

....that was the League game. :lol:

This is where we need @oafcprozac to confirm the fine detail.... but my memory recalls him doing that in the 1st half of the League game.... McClair scored about 5 mins from the end. IIRC it was also Craig Fleming’s debut?

It was the league game - we sold him the day after. Rick Holden also had an equaliser ruled out for offside. 

McClair scored late on.

the league cup game was remembered for an amazing over head kick clearance by Earl Barrett off his own line. 

12 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Yes I recall it was last away game of 73-74 season? and was one all draw. 

Ian wood was injured and carried off.

I saw most of game clinging on from the floodlight pylon in latics end as I was only eleven.

You can find it on YouTube as Yorkshire tv televised the game as we were both promoted that season.

025617354893bdaed4bfbf0d1d49e011.jpg

i was there that day wasnt the last away that was plymouth after the 6-0 v hudds and the usual tics anti climax a 1-2 home defeat by charlton !

14 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Think we may have had a 20k crowd during the pinch-me years. Possibly West Ham in the league when it was 2nd v 1st in the league around Easter. 

We never made 20K in the league during that period, it was something like 15K for the Easter game against the Hammers. I do have a recollection that we got 24K against City in about 83/84/85 time though, but I didn’t go to that game.

Biggest away followings:

York 1974 8000+

Southport 1974 8000+

Liverpool 1977? approx 15000

Northwich Victoria, same season as Liverpool above, at least 15000 (played at Maine Road)

By the way we also had about 25000 for the home game with Bolton in the same season as the aforementioned West Brom game.

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

i was there that day wasnt the last away that was plymouth after the 6-0 v hudds and the usual tics anti climax a 1-2 home defeat by charlton !

The 6-0 V Hudds was my first ever game and i didnt go back until 1985 :) 

42 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's going well this thread and the #stoplivinginthepastlads must be fucking SEETHING which is a nice bonus.... 

Keep them coming :grin:

You get used to the monthly historical circle jerk. No doubt we’ll be referencing Bobby Johnstone to whoever our next signing is soon enough.

24 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

You get used to the monthly historical circle jerk. No doubt we’ll be referencing Bobby Johnstone to whoever our next signing is soon enough.

Reminiscing.......it's the future for us all.

I can see that it may be a bit boring for our younger posters but as time passes in your lives you will look back favourably on times in your lives (whether football related or not) that meant something special to you. It may mean going to a cup final, play-off match a particularly good snog (edited) or even a damn good pie, it just depends on the individual. So cut us a bit of slack with our old fogies' memories, in the blink of an eye you'll be one of us !

The biggest home attendances I experienced were:

41,733 v Liverpool in F.A. Cup Jan 1962, with the game stopped when people were injured following the collapse of crush barriers in the Chaddy End;

30,072 v Everton in the Second Division in April 1954, when Everton fans climbed over the wall to get in the RRE after the gates had been closed;

and, since TTA's takeover. 13,007 against Grimsby on 'Celebration Sunday'......just sayin'.

BTW the smallest away attendance experienced was 311 for Ancona v Latics in the Anglo-Italian Cup.

40 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Reminiscing.......it's the future for us all.

I can see that it may be a bit boring for our younger posters 

I've never understood this.

I've always enjoyed listening to tales from before my time from older friends. And being so old they tend to repeat themselves quite a lot, and that's still fine. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I've never understood this.

I've always enjoyed listening to tales from before my time from older friends. And being so old they tend to repeat themselves quite a lot, and that's still fine. 

So do I but are you a different generation to the people I'm addressing ? I'm 65 by the way so struggling to find many older than me !