Biggest attendance you've at BP and biggest away following...

55 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Reminiscing.......it's the future for us all.

I can see that it may be a bit boring for our younger posters but as time passes in your lives you will look back favourably on times in your lives (whether football related or not) that meant something special to you. It may mean going to a cup final, play-off match a particularly good snog (edited) or even a damn good pie, it just depends on the individual. So cut us a bit of slack with our old fogies' memories, in the blink of an eye you'll be one of us !

Nostalgia...it ain’t what it used to be ?

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

It was the league game - we sold him the day after. Rick Holden also had an equaliser ruled out for offside. 

McClair scored late on.

the league cup game was remembered for an amazing over head kick clearance by Earl Barrett off his own line. 

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Did he/we? I don't recall that. Was it? Any footage anywhere?

Unfortunately, Earl's clearance and Rick's 'equaliser' must be on the cutting room floor. The ref was Joe Worrall, who was always tagged as a ManU fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEZJDjxjbM

David Currie was never forgiven for not challenging Schmeichel for that 50/50 ball.

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not biggest attendance but did Burnley fans end up going in Lookers stand cos the RRE was full, mid/late 90s?.

I think that was 1999 time, night match at end of season, a 3-3 draw. I think they needed a win to stay up and were 3-1 up but we fought back. Grobelaar was in goal for us and (I think) Ronnie Jepson actually scored a goal for us!

49 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

So do I but are you a different generation to the people I'm addressing ? I'm 65 by the way so struggling to find many older than me !

Im 35 which technically classes me as a millennial, I dont mind the likes of yourself Diego, Pete, BP1960 Bristollatic and many more talking about players and teams from 30,40,50 years ago. 

Then again I've always found history interesting, it tells us where we've come from and gives us a guide to where we are or should be going.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I've never understood this.

I've always enjoyed listening to tales from before my time from older friends. And being so old they tend to repeat themselves quite a lot, and that's still fine. 

It's alright a couple of times but because we haven't achieved anything in nearly 30 years its just stuck on a boring loop. 

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

1 minute ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

It's alright a couple of times but because we haven't achieved anything in nearly 30 years its just stuck on a boring loop. 

More recent memories include Matt Smith's FA cup goals, or have we to not mention them as well ?

6 minutes ago, perfectOzblue said:

I think that was 1999 time, night match at end of season, a 3-3 draw. I think they needed a win to stay up and were 3-1 up but we fought back. Grobelaar was in goal for us and (I think) Ronnie Jepson actually scored a goal for us!

Think it was the last home game of 1998 season, we played in a new blue strip after having had that awful red and blue striped kit. The place was heaving with Burnley fans and it got a bit tasty. Seem to remember Garnett being controversially sent off later on in the game and this spurred us on. Two goals in two mins from Rickers and Allott.

6 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The title of the thread is a bit of a clue to the content.

A boring loop haaaa 

I imagine you should be more than qualified to judge what is deemed boring, so why waste your time reading and then going to the bother of replying.

If something bores me I normally show no interest.

24 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

More recent memories include Matt Smith's FA cup goals, or have we to not mention them as well ?

I would be bold enough to say the ecstatic reaction in the Chaddy End at Matt Smith's equaliser against Everton was right up there with that when Redfearn got the winner against Sheff Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Unfortunately, Earl's clearance and Rick's 'equaliser' must be on the cutting room floor. The ref was Joe Worrall, who was always tagged as a ManU fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEZJDjxjbM

David Currie was never forgiven for not challenging Schmeichel for that 50/50 ball.

Definitely got Rick’s goal I’ll have a look in a bit... 

sure ive got the league cup on vhs too 

3 minutes ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

I would be bold enough to say the ecstatic reaction in the Chaddy End at Matt Smith's equaliser against Everton was right up there with that when Redfearn got the winner against Sheff Wednesday.

I agree, not celebrated a goal as mentally as that late, late goal v Everton since probably Dissa’s at Wembley and before that you have to go back to those heady days in the late 80s/early 90s where it seemed we created life long memories Week in week out. Another late double at Everton in Feb ‘93 was a personal highlight. And by strange coincidence I’m off there tomorrow night with our kid an Everton fan.

Having said that Clarke’s winner at Chesterfield was batshit sheer pandemonium and relief.

From an emotional point of view sitting back in ‘our’ seats in the chaddy end a week after dad passed and Lee Erwin’s late winner against Bolton will stay with me forever...

• Like 2

My Grandad used to follow us home & away until there was a crush at BP, but he didn’t like talking about it because he was quite badly injured and only mentioned it a couple of times.

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when it was and who against? Reckon there must have been a big crowd in for that one? 

Reckon it must have been late 50s or early 60s? 

He never went to another match until he died aged 95 in 2014. 

58 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

My Grandad used to follow us home & away until there was a crush at BP, but he didn’t like talking about it because he was quite badly injured and only mentioned it a couple of times.

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when it was and who against? Reckon there must have been a big crowd in for that one? 

Reckon it must have been late 50s or early 60s? 

He never went to another match until he died aged 95 in 2014. 

It would have been the FA Cup 4th round  game against Liverpool on 27 Jan 1962. A wall and crush barrier in the Chaddy End collapsed and it sounds as though your grandad was one of the injured supporters.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1852/43419658335_5a286359ce_z.jpg

The picture is courtesy of the OAFC book 'One Hundred Years, One Hundred Images, One Ground'.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

5 hours ago, peanuts said:

i was there that day wasnt the last away that was plymouth after the 6-0 v hudds and the usual tics anti climax a 1-2 home defeat by charlton !

Yes you are correct.i do remember the defeat against Charlton as we all went onto the pitch and frizz came out on the main stand and said we will still do it! And he were reet!

Edited by Ogdenwoodwhittle

13 minutes ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

It would have been the FA Cup 4th round  game against Liverpool on 27 Jan 1962. A wall and crush barrier in the Chaddy End collapsed and it sounds as though your grandad was one of the injured supporters.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1852/43419658335_b7f313a2b8_c.jpg

The picture is courtesy of the OAFC book 'One Hundred Years, One Hundred Images, One Ground'.

Ok thanks. Yes sounds about right that as he used to stand on the Chaddy. That link doesn’t appear to work, but will do some digging on t’internet about it. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Bold yeah, but a million miles away from the truth Diego. Best moment ever (Redfearn) FACT. Better than the birth of my two kids. I didn’t feel the need to heave at the aftermath-(afterbirth)????? 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick

6 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Bold yeah, but a million miles away from the truth Diego. Best moment ever (Redfearn) FACT. Better than the birth of my two kids. I didn’t feel the need to heave at the aftermath-(afterbirth)????? 

In my mind I'm comparing the successful penalty, with all the delay, prayers and hope leading up to it being taken, with the unexpected blast of euphoria arising after the corner. Great that we have such vivid memories - happy days!