Biggest attendance you've at BP and biggest away following...

10 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Yeah, he could me too... he scored a few for Palace against us IIRC.

it seems somewhat respectable to be discussing the likes of Wright & McClair.... and then I think of James f*ckin Hayter. :lol:

Can't be many that have scored against us on as many separate occasions as Hayter

I was at York City in the 1970s in what I think was their record l attendance of around 14,000.

At one stage I thought we were going to miss the kick off and a mate shouted to the gateman "Open the gates man - we'll throw the money at you as we go past".

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Think the biggest league game attendance in our top flight days was 18951? against Liverpool in January 92. Thats the biggest Ive been part of at BP. 

Away attendance for me the 5500 in the FA cup at Goodison in 2008

Na, BP attendance was down to about 17k after chaddy went seated so that can't be right.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It weny down to 17Knonce the RRE went all seater in 91-92 we had 4 attendances over 18000

91-92 results

Hmm that's odd. Thought capacity pre chaddy going seated was about 19.5k on the basis we never topped that during the pinch me season. 

We lost about 2.4k when chaddy went seated but that would have put capacity down to about 17k. 

Something doesnt add up

10 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Hmm that's odd. Thought capacity pre chaddy going seated was about 19.5k on the basis we never topped that during the pinch me season. 

We lost about 2.4k when chaddy went seated but that would have put capacity down to about 17k. 

Something doesnt add up

Well the biggest crowds we were getting were 19.5k so maybe they could have squeezed a few more in and actual capacity may have been north of 20k

1 hour ago, stevesidg said:

West Brom at home in 76 last home game of the season 

West Brom won 1-0 and were promoted to division one

crowd was probably around 25,000 with around 15,000 baggies 

Yes Ste I remember sitting in the Ford Stand for that game and the rre was a sea of green and yellow

Was on match of the day that evening.

Motty was the commentator.

Baggies goal scored by Tony Brown who was born in Oldham.

I stayed to see jonnie giles bring out the baggies to celebrate in front of main stand.

20180828_001520.jpg

Edited by Ogdenwoodwhittle
More detail

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I was at York City in the 1970s in what I think was their record l attendance of around 14,000.

At one stage I thought we were going to miss the kick off and a mate shouted to the gateman "Open the gates man - we'll throw the money at you as we go past".

Yes I recall it was last away game of 73-74 season? and was one all draw. 

Ian wood was injured and carried off.

I saw most of game clinging on from the floodlight pylon in latics end as I was only eleven.

You can find it on YouTube as Yorkshire tv televised the game as we were both promoted that season.

025617354893bdaed4bfbf0d1d49e011.jpg

Edited by Ogdenwoodwhittle

3 hours ago, Andy b said:

Never topped 20knon the pinch me season.

got a small allocation for the first OT league game in the top flight so the 8k must have been the cup game.

biggest since the prem days was prob Wigan away in 2002/03 I recall. 

Took 6000 to libpool in the cup twice haven’t we?

6 hours ago, pk200 said:

42,000 v Liverpool  FA Cup early 1960's

Yes I can confirm that this is true because I was there and witnessed being done out of a goal that bounced down off the bar behind the line at the Chaddy End. We lost 1-2 but it should have gone to a replay. Fantastic atmosphere and the most people ever to be squeezed in to BP

The liverpool 42000 was made up mainly of Liverpool fans. There was no segregation in those days so we were all together.  The Goal that hit the post and bounced down and out was awarded against us by a referee srood in the centre circle. The Linesman also could never have seen if it crossed the line but they gave it anyway. Our dissallowed goal started with Bobby Johnstone as our player furthest foward as we were backs to the wall. He received the ball in our half of the centre circle and kept 2 liverpool players mesmerised. He then looked at Bert Lister who was still in our half and pointed to were he wanted to go. Lister was still inour half when Bobby sent this ballooning ball towards the right corner flag which bent till it was landing on the left side of the penalty area and straight on Lister's foot and into the net.  We all went wild till the offside flag went up as the linesman obviously could not believe Lister had got so  far  clear without being offside. The Liverpool fans near me booed the referee of the pitch because they thought they should have beaten us without the incompetent referee.

10 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

I was there too. 3rd Round January 1962. I was in the RRE with my mate in the middle of a few thousand Scousers. And they were a fantastic bunch. If Bobby Johnstone's shot that hit the bar and bounced in and out (I'm sure it did) had been given, we'd have had a replay.

Liverpool got promoted to the old first division that season.

Yes a great match when we went toe to toe with a very good Liverpool side , pretty much the one that did so well in Div 1 after it got promoted that year. At the time the Chronicle reported that Latics had sold 30,000 tickets themselves - long before online booking . 

In my time, and those of others on here (apologies for those who cannot bear talk of the past  - but then why are you reading this thread?) , I've seen 20K plus crowds at BP against Peterboro in 60/61, Chestefield and Bristol Rovers in 61/2 ,(both FA Cup replays), Coventry in 63/4 (league), West Ham in 65/6 (FA Cup), Wolves 66/7 (FAC), Burnley 73/4, (FAC), Utd 74/5 (league), WBA 75/6 (league)

After that the capacity was cut to less than 20,000.

Edited by LaticsPete