Checkatrade .... boycott or not?

Morning Latics.

Just wondering how you guys view the Checkatrade, given that there are premier league under 21 teams in it?

There is a major debate raging amongst TRFC fans  on our forum (Cowsheds) just now, as we are late to the party so to speak and haven't played in this competition since the revamp, so with yourselves being involved from the start, is there any consensus here?

My personal position is to boycott, as I view this "experiment" as testing the water, with the ultimate direction of travel intended to be premier league B teams competing regularly against the likes of ourselves in the lower leagues. For me, that would be unthinkable, and the time  I would walk away from football altogether, but there is a school of thought amongst some of our fans, that the Checkatrade is still a proper competition which we as fans should support.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boycott. 

B team by the back door, and they want people to drift back. I don't trust them not to try again. 

Sham of a completion now. 

Personal choice though, I get why some don't, and a LOT easier for me to boycott than regular attendees. 

Boycott for me. Rarely missed a game in the competition prior to the introduction of B teams but haven't been to one since.

Acceptance will lead to a much higher chance of B teams in the lower league in years to come. 

I agree with the point about it being difficult to boycott a trip to Wembley but that would be a decision that had to be made at the time.

I’d love to virtue signal and say I’m boycotting but truth is I just can’t be arsed to go to these games. My interest would greatly increase if we ever got to the final. Anyone saying they’d boycott Latics at Wembley is a space cadet. 

1 hour ago, 24424 said:

Morning Latics.

Just wondering how you guys view the Checkatrade, given that there are premier league under 21 teams in it?

There is a major debate raging amongst TRFC fans  on our forum (Cowsheds) just now, as we are late to the party so to speak and haven't played in this competition since the revamp, so with yourselves being involved from the start, is there any consensus here?

My personal position is to boycott, as I view this "experiment" as testing the water, with the ultimate direction of travel intended to be premier league B teams competing regularly against the likes of ourselves in the lower leagues. For me, that would be unthinkable, and the time  I would walk away from football altogether, but there is a school of thought amongst some of our fans, that the Checkatrade is still a proper competition which we as fans should support.

Any thoughts?

Only one season in and we’ve already got to a World Cup semi final. 

I was as against it as the next person originally but when the facts change I change my mind. 

17 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I was as against it as the next person originally but when the facts change I change my mind. 

hahahaha..... wait... are you serious?

Like it or not it's one of our main revenue steams and probably means an addition signing or 2 if we're still in it at Christmas. 

20k just for taking part, 10k for every win in the group stages, 20k for round 2win etc. 

We made 100k last season from it in prize money alone. 

For clubs in our position this is why it's important. 

Agree that the Prem youth sides ruin it a bit but money talks. Like most I just can't get excited about it in the early stages but if we get to the later stages I'll be watching it. 

The whole competition has become a farce now but as Londonboy says, it does provide valuable income for the club and in whatever format we have to make an effort for the financial rewards.

From a spectator point of view, i go to the home games but wouldn't dream of travelling for it, it's all a bit dull really. 

19 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Like it or not it's one of our main revenue steams and probably means an addition signing or 2 if we're still in it at Christmas. 

20k just for taking part, 10k for every win in the group stages, 20k for round 2win etc. 

We made 100k last season from it in prize money alone. 

For clubs in our position this is why it's important. 

Agree that the Prem youth sides ruin it a bit but money talks. Like most I just can't get excited about it in the early stages but if we get to the later stages I'll be watching it. 

This for me.

It was a tin pot cup before, it still is I don’t particularly care that prem teams are in it. It’s ectra revenue so would be stupid for the club to boycott. I never went with the old format and won’t go with the new one. I wanted to get knocked out before as it was a distraction, now I’d rather have a bit of a run for the cash. We will be entering a u21 team in a few years so will be good for the MIGHTY OLDHAM!

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I’d love to virtue signal and say I’m boycotting but truth is I just can’t be arsed to go to these games. My interest would greatly increase if we ever got to the final. Anyone saying they’d boycott Latics at Wembley is a space cadet. 

I'd boycott Wembley in this competition. Luckily I always fancied being a astronaut. 

I'm up for this partial boycott thingy, I'll go to the group home matches but won't go to Wembley.

This is just to save one of the other type of boycotters who haven't got a season ticket whinging about not being able to get into the final to see us play some non-descript U21 team.

Double standards or what ?

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

But the facts are none of those players who played at the world cup had played in the checkatrade as part of a B team.

What the WC told us was how much playing regular football at a football league club does for a players development by either going out on loan such as Kane, Lingard, and Kyle Walker who made his proffessional debut at Boundary Park playing for Northampton. Or through the academies of FL teams people such as Ali and Maguire who got 1st team opportunities far quicker than had they gone to bigger clubs. Playing in this environment makes men out of them.

Their is no pressure on B teams to get results therefore the players learn far less than if they did if they come out on loan to a club like us.

We've started to make the right steps interms of developing youbg players in this country dont let any idiots tell you it is down to B teams.

Personally I was always soso about this competition but now I cant be arsed with it and hate it. 

Archived