Checkatrade .... boycott or not?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Flemboy said:

We must put a full strength team out next week. At the end of the day it is a Wembley final and most if not all on here would go if we got in the final 

I’d love to see my team walk out to play at Wembley, but for me only in a competition with prestige and not this abomination. I wouldn’t be there I’m afraid to say. 

50 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

I’d love to see my team walk out to play at Wembley, but for me only in a competition with prestige and not this abomination. I wouldn’t be there I’m afraid to say. 

Me neither, really couldn’t be arsed making the trip, shelling out the money, I just don’t think I would give a shit. I wouldn’t have gone in the old  format, I know it’s hated with the u21’s but at least there is Money in it. It was shit before with no money.

1 hour ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Each to their own Dick (no pun intended!) but I reckon plenty would go.

We were lucky enough to see our team play at Wembley twice, but many of our current fans were not around then. Let's be honest apart from in this competition they will probably never get the opportunity to see us there again.

My 12 year old boy would be so excited to see Latics at Wembley in any competition, and it could help attract some new younger fans to the club....or even encourage some of the many fans who have deserted the club over the years to come back.

12 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

We were lucky enough to see our team play at Wembley twice, but many of our current fans were not around then. Let's be honest apart from in this competition they will probably never get the opportunity to see us there again.

My 12 year old boy would be so excited to see Latics at Wembley in any competition, and it could help attract some new younger fans to the club....or even encourage some of the many fans who have deserted the club over the years to come back.

That's an interesting point, I wonder if any clubs that won had an upturn in attendances. Or if it was just like our reduced ticket days, and it never made a difference to even the next match. Might have a look.

20 minutes ago, singe said:

That's an interesting point, I wonder if any clubs that won had an upturn in attendances. Or if it was just like our reduced ticket days, and it never made a difference to even the next match. Might have a look.

Be interesting to know Singe.

Just looked at the winners over the past 5 years and they have either got to at least the play offs that season, or the following one, with most getting promoted, so in my book success can only be a good thing. Last years winners Lincoln are also doing pretty well at the moment.

Average attendance at the final for the past 5 years is 56,000 so maybe the cash they get from the competition explains the success...just saying.

48 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I think, as with a lot of clubs, there is a pretty good chance of playing at Wembley in the play off finals (about 80 different teams have done so in the league playoffs). Add on the possible future FA Trophy final (and if we miss that we may catch the Vase on the way down). We'll be regulars!

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

That’s fair enough and I wouldn’t say anything against anyone that did go, just not for me. I wouldn’t even get close to the feeling I had when Neil Pointon scored there in 94 even if we won the damn thing. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Be interesting to know Singe.

Just looked at the winners over the past 5 years and they have either got to at least the play offs that season, or the following one, with most getting promoted, so in my book success can only be a good thing. Last years winners Lincoln are also doing pretty well at the moment.

Average attendance at the final for the past 5 years is 56,000 so maybe the cash they get from the competition explains the success...just saying.

Yeah, had a quick look. Despite my vehement objection to it, I don't think you can eliminate that the money helped the following season.

6 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

I'd go down for the trip. Not sure I'd be bothered with the game either. 

31 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Academies like that are almost turning into businesses where they develop and sell players on most of which will never play for them.

There was an article in the times last week which made that point.

Chelsea have 107 professionals, 40 of whom are out on loan. They have made £180M in recent years selling on some of that stockpile. 

City were also cited as an example.

Some thoughts that FIFA will limit the number of players a club can loan out, 6-8 suggested.

Not sure what the effect will be. Might be harder for smaller clubs to get loanees, doubt many of these stockpiled players will be released, the greedy league might just keep them on £10k/week in the hope of selling a few for £Xmillion. 

34 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Sunderland v Newcastle u21

gate bound to be boosted by Geordies looking for their kids to beat Sunderland first team .

Yeah the same warmed balls as they used for the Stoke and Port Vale game. 

Skews the stats for attendances even further. 

Archived