Checkatrade .... boycott or not?

On 8/31/2018 at 1:37 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Now I want us lose in it

Why - we'd loose out on £10K or more every time we loose. 

I''ve never been bothered if we won or lost in the past,  but  the win payments now mean its an extra income and we need  every penny.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Have you been to the Bernabeu? Great stadium it is not. 

Depends on how you define ‘great’ though. I was there when Atletico drew 1-1 with Barca to win La Liga. 90,000 crowd, fantastic support, great colour card display of the Catalan flag and the club colours before the game and then hugely sporting applause for Atletico at the final whistle. The noise throughout the game was intense. 

Based on that, I’d say that it is a great stadium. ?

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

Depends on how you define ‘great’ though. I was there when Atletico drew 1-1 with Barca to win La Liga. 90,000 crowd, fantastic support, great colour card display of the Catalan flag and the club colours before the game and then hugely sporting applause for Atletico at the final whistle. The noise throughout the game was intense. 

Or a concrete bowl?

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The fact that you think Atletico played Barca in a league game at the Bernabeu suggests you haven't been. 

Bernabeu is a bit meh but I've not been for a game. 

6 hours ago, laticsrblue said:

Why - we'd loose out on £10K or more every time we loose. 

I''ve never been bothered if we won or lost in the past,  but  the win payments now mean its an extra income and we need  every penny.

Well I dont like the competition and the only real reason to want to win is for money thats grim. I get that income is important but I dont want it to be the sole driver of why I want us to win. Plus we will make more from either going up or an FA cup run

On a more pragmatic note I hope we rest Clarke on tuesday infact dont even put him on the bench. Tell him to have a night off and get him fully rested and prepared for saturday. Infact I hope he doesnt make 1 appearence in this competition. A couple of others could do with a rest perhaps Gardner too and get some squad players some pitch time give Lang a start and possibly Lydon too. 

16 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The fact that you think Atletico played Barca in a league game at the Bernabeu suggests you haven't been. 

Bernabeu is a bit meh but I've not been for a game. 

Aha! For some reason I read Bernabeu as Nou Camp! 

Old age strikes again!

Never been to Real’s home but my original comments are still valid though not particularly relevant ?

On 9/1/2018 at 5:44 PM, TheBigDog said:

I think you are very, very confused. Almost offensively.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:32 AM, HarryBosch said:

Only one season in and we’ve already got to a World Cup semi final. 

I was as against it as the next person originally but when the facts change I change my mind. 

To be fair Ahmed Musa had a decent World cup.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Well I dont like the competition and the only real reason to want to win is for money thats grim. I get that income is important but I dont want it to be the sole driver of why I want us to win. Plus we will make more from either going up or an FA cup run

It is your prerogative to be unimpressed but without any responsibility for the financial health of our club a little shallow. Yes, of course going up or an FA cup run will increase income – is success in these other options a given then?  

2 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

It is your prerogative to be unimpressed but without any responsibility for the financial health of our club a little shallow. Yes, of course going up or an FA cup run will increase income – is success in these other options a given then?  

They are not a given, but they are not as divisive hands up everyone who doesnt want us to go for a promotion push? 

Secondly the money involved in this competition really isnt that much in the grand scheme of things its only when you get to the final that you make anything.

Thirdly after the start we've made we must see the top 7 as a strong possibility and getting out of this competition at the group stages would reduce fixture pile up which will help us in the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Secondly the money involved in this competition really isnt that much in the grand scheme of things its only when you get to the final that you make anything.

What great scheme would that be? Or more to the point, who's great scheme.

@ £6-50 per ticket, tomorrow night would produce circa £10,000. A win a further£10,000 and a draw £5,000. Repeated per game throughout the group stage.

I have to consider what our benefactors view would be on these trifling amounts, as he financially supports our club. He may just be considering we could go out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle and finish 8th in the League. He may be happy trousering some cash while it's on offer. I would.

Wisdom is judged after the event, not before and at your own expense - usually.

33 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

@ £6-50 per ticket, tomorrow night would produce circa £10,000. A win a further£10,000 and a draw £5,000. Repeated per game throughout the group stage.

How much to stage a game? 

1 hour ago, mikeroyboy said:

I have to consider what our benefactors view would be on these trifling amounts, as he financially supports our club. He may just be considering we could go out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle and finish 8th in the League. He may be happy trousering some cash while it's on offer. I would.

Wisdom is judged after the event, not before and at your own expense - usually.

You're forgeting the cost of putting these games on the staff costs, cost for the floodlights, players appearence and bonus money if we win etc. Simon Corney did state that for some of these games we didnt breakeven infact we lost money. 2 Wins in the FA cup potentially its the jackpot.

In the grand of scheme of things yes its nothing Id like to think our owner has set his sights a little higher than the checkatrade if he hasnt Id have to question why he is here. We got through last year and were still in the competition after christmas and yet we were still struggling to pay any bills. 

He could probably make more money by selling the naming rights to the stadium or even the JR stand. He did tear up the sports direct deal which probably made us more money.

Archived