Checkatrade .... boycott or not?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/5/2018 at 7:33 PM, mikeroyboy said:

Your first sentence ‘It is important to look beyond April next year’, followed by a ‘believe’ a ‘could’, ‘it would’ ‘would’ and 2’if’s’ make your fear sound more like Cameron, Osborne and many others prophesizing immediate Armageddon if the electorate voted to leave the EU.

An article in the Daily Mail today reports: ‘Clubs from Leagues One and Two are preparing to extend the Checkatrade Trophy in its present format for three more years’.

It also states that there is ‘solid support within the EFL to develop the competition’, ‘clubs had seen crowds and gate receipts up owing to regionalization’. Also, ‘fears that the innovations might also provide a gateway for B teams into the football pyramid have proved unfounded’. There is other relevant stuff in the article by Matt Barlow, if you care to find it.

Short term we are under far more threat from our players not being good enough, our management team not being good enough and our wealthy benefactor being an illusion. Not to mention every time we open shop some other bunch of guys are trying to ruin our product.

My unique personal opinion on why B teams are unlikely to work or be accepted is the problem it creates with promotion and relegation. Every season half the Premiership is in real danger of being relegated before the season starts. The same goes for the Championship. High rollers regularly visit League 1.

No way will these guys be putting themselves at risk to swapping places with a B team, however unlikely it may seem. Regular League football for groups of very talented kids - heaven help us all. 

Oh look, a Prem team Executive wants to put B teams back on the Agenda. 

This time, to get round the upcoming FIFA ruling in 2020 that clubs will only be able to loan a max of 8 players over 21.

(money or lack of a neat promotion or relegation situation is a no brainer)

On 9/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, oldhamoafc said:

Still confuses why people push the whole B teams in the football league. It literally won’t happen, ever. 

No evidence that the big teams even want it to happen never mind everything else.

Ridiculous argument.

A Prem team Executive has started the briefing to put B Teams back on the agenda (has never been off it) to circumvent the 2020 Fifa max 8nover 21 loans out ruling. 

Of course there is evidence.

10 hours ago, singe said:

Oh look, a Prem team Executive wants to put B teams back on the Agenda. 

This time, to get round the upcoming FIFA ruling in 2020 that clubs will only be able to loan a max of 8 players over 21.

(money or lack of a neat promotion or relegation situation is a no brainer)

A Premier League Executive ‘wanting ’ to put B teams back on the agenda is a long way from the Football League.

Meanwhile, our skint clubs go along with a chance of a decent payday. The fans in general are also going along with what has always been a poorly supported Competition. There is no reliable way to judge whether a ‘supposed’ boycott is affecting attendances. There was certainly no evidence in our recent game with Barnsley 

3 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

A Premier League Executive ‘wanting ’ to put B teams back on the agenda is a long way from the Football League.

Meanwhile, our skint clubs go along with a chance of a decent payday. The fans in general are also going along with what has always been a poorly supported Competition. There is no reliable way to judge whether a ‘supposed’ boycott is affecting attendances. There was certainly no evidence in our recent game with Barnsley 

Walsall broke their record for lowest ever attendance last night...

13 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

Oh dear you are really not getting this are you their is no decent payday at all in this.

Then if you read the Daily Mail.....

1 minute ago, mikeroyboy said:

That is evidence of crap competition. With which I totally agree. 

So int he tournament as a whole,   are the significant drops in attendance since B Teams were introduced evidence of a boycott, or apathy?

Obviosuly both, but I say a significant boycott, because the B TEams have specifically lower attendances. The attendances v Barnseley was still majorly shit. 1,343 Latics fans. 2/3rds stayed away. Of course there was a significant boycott.

9 minutes ago, maddog said:

But the FA/EFL/Premier League don’t give a fuck whether people attend the competition or not. 

I believe there is concern, mainly because we'd already have B Team without the boycott. I still think they'll push, but rely on people giving up and drifting back. As is typical of many campaigns.

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh dear you are really not getting this are you their is no decent payday at all in this.

Then if you read the Daily Mail.....

What I’m getting is the Clubs are agreeing to play in a generally loss making competition.

Which while we are at it also relates to all competitions most League clubs will play in this season.

I am familiar with profit and loss accounts but even so, like you, I have no idea how to realistically put a profitable projection forward for a Proffesional Football League Club. 

If you can really see a way forward with our and other clubs relationship with the Checkatrades association with the Premiership I wish you good luck.

I suspect however your best efforts are being directed at me for supporting my club unconditionally because I am totally unable to do better myself. 

32 minutes ago, singe said:

So int he tournament as a whole,   are the significant drops in attendance since B Teams were introduced evidence of a boycott, or apathy?

Obviosuly both, but I say a significant boycott, because the B TEams have specifically lower attendances. The attendances v Barnseley was still majorly shit. 1,343 Latics fans. 2/3rds stayed away. Of course there was a significant boycott.

I like how you do a double shuffle with the figures. You should be comparing the 1,343 with the first tournament game at BP of 2yrs ago. If you could do that you would have a valid point.

I also like how you omit the total attendance for the Barnsley game, around 400 from Barnsley wasn’t it?

That’s not bad for a boycott in a crap Competition. 

21 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

What I’m getting is the Clubs are agreeing to play in a generally loss making competition.

Which while we are at it also relates to all competitions most League clubs will play in this season.

I am familiar with profit and loss accounts but even so, like you, I have no idea how to realistically put a profitable projection forward for a Proffesional Football League Club. 

If you can really see a way forward with our and other clubs relationship with the Checkatrades association with the Premiership I wish you good luck.

I suspect however your best efforts are being directed at me for supporting my club unconditionally because I am totally unable to do better myself. 

This is the crux for me MRB. I'm not sure it is loss making since the B Team sere allowed in because the PREm team paid for an increase in prize money including the early, otherwise loss making, rounds.

And therefore, if the (vastly rich!!!) offered even a sweetish deal, in the 100k's, enough FL Chairman will take a risk and capitulate

Tommorows papers show the Prem stranglehold could deepen.

11 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

I like how you do a double shuffle with the figures. You should be comparing the 1,343 with the first tournament game at BP of 2yrs ago. If you could do that you would have a valid point.

I also like how you omit the total attendance for the Barnsley game, around 400 from Barnsley wasn’t it?

That’s not bad for a boycott in a crap Competition. 

One game v one game does not really prove anything for either of us.  I didnt bring up Barnsley specifically, I  just replied to the point.

And yes, 443 when last time they bought 583 does not prove a boycott. I never said it was a full boycott, but significant across the tournament as a whole.

Who could have predicted Barnsely, a town of miners, would be scabs.

8 hours ago, mikeroyboy said:

How can people type such bullshit and actually believe they make sense to normal people?? Wowzers.

14 hours ago, maddog said:

But the FA/EFL/Premier League don’t give a fuck whether people attend the competition or not. 

This is true, but they need the club's to care about it enough to try, otherwise their youth/reserves might as well just play training games

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oafcshuck said:

Huge game for us tonight. Fingers crossed Bradford get win which would enable us to top the group and get an easier draw in the last 32.

Come on shuck, this cup is bobbins! I’m sure she’s didn’t care about this. Although he did win it.... I see where your going with this. Come on Bradford !!!

Archived