Checkatrade .... boycott or not?

6 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Can't argue with facts, Bosch is right. B teams = World Cup success. 

It had about as much effect on England's success as me moving my morning dump from 8am to 8.15 did..

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But the facts are none of those players who played at the world cup had played in the checkatrade as part of a B team.

What the WC told us was how much playing regular football at a football league club does for a players development by either going out on loan such as Kane, Lingard, and Kyle Walker who made his proffessional debut at Boundary Park playing for Northampton. Or through the academies of FL teams people such as Ali and Maguire who got 1st team opportunities far quicker than had they gone to bigger clubs. Playing in this environment makes men out of them.

Their is no pressure on B teams to get results therefore the players learn far less than if they did if they come out on loan to a club like us.

We've started to make the right steps interms of developing youbg players in this country dont let any idiots tell you it is down to B teams.

Personally I was always soso about this competition but now I cant be arsed with it and hate it. 

Whatever.

The changes were brought in to improve the performance of the England team in tournaments and the results have been immediate with us having our best World Cup performance since 1990. FACT.  

Haven't missed a game in it. Had so amazing games in the last couple of years. The 3-1 win at Walsall from 1 behind just before Xmas is up there. The win at Fleetwood. One of the best has to be going to Blackburn Rovers and winning on penalites to secure our passage.

It's like the Champions League for us lower league clubs with the Europe. A group stage, a knockout round and a chance to make the greatest stadium in the world that I've never seen us play at.

Tough group this year but on current form we've got to get a point from Barnsley. Two would be a bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

I wouldn’t say i’m a boycotter it’s just I have no desire to watch a glorified friendly in an empty stadium. Just a waste of money. I’ll obvsiouly go if they got to the area finals and then Wembley.

At what stage does it stop being a "glorified friendly" and a "waste of money" and become of interest and unmissable ? 

35 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Whatever.

The changes were brought in to improve the performance of the England team in tournaments and the results have been immediate with us having our best World Cup performance since 1990. FACT.  

obviously :lol:

Renamed the Football League Trophy in 1992 after the Football League/Premier League split. 

1992 - 2016: No B teams - no international success of note. 

2016-2018: B teams - World Cup Semi-Final. 

How can you argue with that?

38 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Mutually incompatible positions I'd have thought. 

Well before it was a case that I wanted us to do well in it but didnt really have the desire to attend until the area final. Now I want us lose in it. If we get to wembley I will probably go but probably won't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I would if we got there in the play offs or even in its old format. Ive actually been relieved the last couple of years to see us go out in it so Im not faced with that question of should I or shouldnt I.

So, a broad range of views then, which interestingly, seem roughly the same, and in the same proportions, as those expressed by our fans.

Perhaps naively, but I anticipated virtually every lower division fan would be dead set against this development, on the basis that it represents the thin end of the wedge, and if accepted, becomes a clear and obvious threat to all our existences as independent clubs in the future - I.e. essentially, this is just the big boys testing the water, and if the objections aren't solid, will roll-out a plan for B teams in the EFL.

However, it seems that many of our and your fans don't see it that way at all, and are relaxed or at worst ambivalent about U21 teams being involved in The Checkatrade, and do not perceive an existential threat on the horizon.

Personally, this whole drip drip effect worries me, but maybe I am over-estimating the fall-out. Time will tell I guess!

13 minutes ago, 24424 said:

So, a broad range of views then, which interestingly, seem roughly the same, and in the same proportions, as those expressed by our fans.

Perhaps naively, but I anticipated virtually every lower division fan would be dead set against this development, on the basis that it represents the thin end of the wedge, and if accepted, becomes a clear and obvious threat to all our existences as independent clubs in the future - I.e. essentially, this is just the big boys testing the water, and if the objections aren't solid, will roll-out a plan for B teams in the EFL.

However, it seems that many of our and your fans don't see it that way at all, and are relaxed or at worst ambivalent about U21 teams being involved in The Checkatrade, and do not perceive an existential threat on the horizon.

Personally, this whole drip drip effect worries me, but maybe I am over-estimating the fall-out. Time will tell I guess!

We've had this debate and the majority agreed with your assessment. However the cash cow being offered is hard to resist for lower league clubs because basically the big boys have us where they want us, under the thumb and to heel.

2 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Haven't missed a game in it. Had so amazing games in the last couple of years. The 3-1 win at Walsall from 1 behind just before Xmas is up there. The win at Fleetwood. One of the best has to be going to Blackburn Rovers and winning on penalites to secure our passage.

It's like the Champions League for us lower league clubs with the Europe. A group stage, a knockout round and a chance to make the greatest stadium in the world that I've never seen us play at.

Tough group this year but on current form we've got to get a point from Barnsley. Two would be a bonus. 

Where to start with this :petesake:

3 hours ago, 24424 said:

There was some sort of statement made in an EFL meeting a year or so ago, saying categorically there will be no B teams in the league system, end of. I know words are only words, but the way it was stated really assuaged any fears I had. I still don't think I could bring myself to pay money to watch us play one of those sides though.

England getting to the semis had nothing to do with the checkatrade. 

It had everything to do with a young manager employing a young hungry squad with just the right sprinkling of experience in there. Playing them in their strongest positions for the benefit of the team.

Previous regimes have seen the countries perceived best shoe horned into a system that doesn't work. 

It's coincidence at best England did well just as this revamp including b teams has been introduced.

Facts: The B-team aspect has been going for 2 seasons. In that time England have reached 3 World Cup Semis (u17, u20 and full). The most number of games in the competition played by any member of any of those squads was 3 by a Charlton player. The likes of mid-30s Charlie Adam, who is Scottish have played more games than our 3 WC semi squads combined. 

Now they have tightened the rules for the B-teams to stop the like of Charlie Adam / Robert Huth playing and relaxed the rules for the proper teams to allow them to play their kids I'm a bit more in favour. 

I'm still not going to a game unless we reach the final, but if we do I'll donate £100 to Roy Castle Lung Cancer fund. (In memory of O4u). 

23 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

is the final at the Bernabeu or somewhere similar or you talking about the white elephant in london ?

Archived