Gridiron

2 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

I’m swapping BP for the MetLife Stadium this weekend to watch that American football malarkey. 

In a sentence or two can anyone explain what it’s all about (well ok just the basics) so I don’t look a complete wazzock when I’m there? 

Cheers 

Advertising and cheer leaders.

You're welcome. 

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The best explanation I've heard for absolute beginners is, "It's a bit like rugby league except teams have 4 tackles to go 10 yards and are allowed to pass it forwards" 

I can provide more detail but thought that was a good place to start. 

Thanks. Somehow I think the similarities between a visit there for that and a 4th division match at BP will be few and far between...if any. 

On 9/4/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dick_Valentine said:

I’m swapping BP for the MetLife Stadium this weekend to watch that American football malarkey. 

In a sentence or two can anyone explain what it’s all about (well ok just the basics) so I don’t look a complete wazzock when I’m there? 

Cheers 

Cheering on the London Jaguars I hope?

On 9/4/2018 at 7:31 PM, Dick_Valentine said:

Cheers 

Chant "DEFENCE!" when others around you do.

If/when Eli throws an interception, loudly exclaim that he's the fourth best male in the Manning family.

When Blake Bortles throws an interception, and it will happen, smugly fold your arms and say "The thing about Bortles is he always throws into double coverage".

Every time Saquon Barkley touches the ball, tell anyone who'll listen that it's like watching the offspring of Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.

Never use the phrase "handegg". They don't like that.

On 9/6/2018 at 7:44 AM, Dave_Og said:

Hot dogs and horrific beer.

This.

Eventually found the Hoegaarden though...at $13 a pop ?

Cheers for all advice. In summary, didn’t have a clue what was going on, got soaked to the skin and pissed off to the pub at half time still none the wiser. 

Bring on Grimsby. 

After the simply mindboggling new rules on roughing the passer, and that stupid momentum weight rule coming into full force against the Saints, I think the best of the NFL is waaay behind us. I'll still watch it mind, although college football is miles more fun for the casual fan. Geaux Tigers, and to a lesser extent Go Mountaineers (nice uniform).

1 hour ago, Matt said:

After the simply mindboggling new rules on roughing the passer, and that stupid momentum weight rule coming into full force against the Saints, I think the best of the NFL is waaay behind us. I'll still watch it mind, although college football is miles more fun for the casual fan. Geaux Tigers, and to a lesser extent Go Mountaineers (nice uniform).

Again in Briddish??