Playing style v Results.

People keep referring to us being hard to watch, or the football not being great. . . And yet we’re sixth. 

Firstly. We play in league two. What do people expect the general standard to be? Honestly?

Secondley. In all our years of league one how many times did you genuinely come away from a game and think, wow that was a great game to watch? It’s a handful a season; if that. 

Thirdly, When in the past we did play well we nearly always lost 1-0. 

I don’t think Bunn is getting enough credit for our start, particularly with how thin the squad is. The football might not always be free flowing but when has it ever been over recent years? Most importantly we’re picking up results- what side does that ‘playing badly’

Time to give credit where’s its due.

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 2

A number of fans quoted on the Grimsby thread that we were poor in the 1st half.

I admit we were 2nd best in the half, but I put that down to Grimsby starting like an express train, and there was no way they could keep it up.

If you look at Grimsby's home stats (before our game) you will see they only score in the 1st half, and concede in the second. I suspect every home game they play all out in the 1st half then run out of stream. I sure the Oldham management team know how the opposition play and tailor there game plan accordingly. I think FB & co completed their game plan very well yesterday.

Don't get where these type of posts come from. Is it not obvious we are operating on a shoe string budget?

There is no problem with how we play. He is attempting to keep it tight at the back while putting away chances at the other end when they arise. The problem people have is a lack in quality not with playing style. There was no real difference between the Crawley game and the Newport game the way we played we just couldn't take our chance against Newport, yet it's results people look at.

We are 6th within touching distance of top. Anyone who complains about that given the last 20 years isn't worth listening too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

A number of fans quoted on the Grimsby thread that we were poor in the 1st half.

I admit we were 2nd best in the half, but I put that down to Grimsby starting like an express train, and there was no way they could keep it up.

If you look at Grimsby's home stats (before our game) you will see they only score in the 1st half, and concede in the second. I suspect every home game they play all out in the 1st half then run out of stream. I sure the Oldham management team know how the opposition play and tailor there game plan accordingly. I think FB & co completed their game plan very well yesterday.

Quite right, after 30 minutes yesterday I said to my lad that they were starting to tire, didn't know the state about their goals conceded, it makes sense now. 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

People keep referring to us being hard to watch, or the football not being great. . . And yet we’re sixth. 

Firstly. We play in league two. What do people expect the general standard to be? Honestly?

Secondley. In all our years of league one how many times did you genuinely come away from a game and think, wow that was a great game to watch? It’s a handful a season; if that. 

Thirdly, When in the past we did play well we nearly always lost 1-0. 

I don’t think Bunn is getting enough credit for our start, particularly with how thin the squad is. The football might not always be free flowing but when has it ever been over recent years? Most importantly we’re picking up results- what side does that ‘playing badly’

Time to give credit where’s its due.

Firstly we are all still getting used to the idea of league 2 football something that no fan under the age of 50 has any experience of seeing this club play at. Its pretty clear that their is a lack of skill at this level, not many teams can pass the ball, and teams physically run out of steam early doors.

Secondley. Having had a season ticket in all but 1 of our 21 seasons in league 1 I would say I enjoyed hundreds of games at that level, alright their was alot of dross in their too. But I can point to plenty of games I loved mainly ones we won.

Thirdly, No we didnt thats an assumption.

While I agree with your general point wins are the most important thing and wins should give us all the most entertainment even if its an ugly 1-0. Lets not create this assumption that winning and playing well are mutually exclusive playing attractive football doesnt always mean losing and ugly football doesnt always mean victories.

Edited by GlossopLatic

8 minutes ago, HallamBlue said:

Not been on here much in past few weeks. But nothing changes miserable moaning bastards who cant see the team is playing for one another smiling and no utter fuckwit players posting shite on social media or thinking better than they are. I will take a punt on Surridge having a similar career path to Defoe as clearly got the finishing instinct.  Seeing photos of game with players smiling, genuine pleasure in result and Lang singing the Baxter song at end shows its a young team learning all the time yet managed to get up near the top. Solme good senior pros who are professional something lacking at BP for many years.  Clarke, Taylor and OGrady are a balance to the youth and Iversen a solid keeper. 

Yes we will have bad days, drop points but its Div 2 and erratic when young lads are finding a place in team. Give them support sand we will be fine. Look at Northampton who arent finding it as easy as they thought. Mansfield below us.... who arent short of cash. Convinced some of the posters live in the bottom block. Also good to note the leaks are drying up from within. 

Absofuckinglutely.  

Hear hear. ? 

4 hours ago, philliggi said:

Don't get where these type of posts come from. Is it not obvious we are operating on a shoe string budget?

There is no problem with how we play. He is attempting to keep it tight at the back while putting away chances at the other end when they arise. The problem people have is a lack in quality not with playing style. There was no real difference between the Crawley game and the Newport game the way we played we just couldn't take our chance against Newport, yet it's results people look at.

We are 6th within touching distance of top. Anyone who complains about that given the last 20 years isn't worth listening too

That’s most of this board then. .

‘There’s no problem with how we play’.  Right, course there’s not. Nearly every post has the tone ‘we weren’t great, but i’ll take a win’ When did taking a win become the minimum? On the Grimsby thread, there’s hardly any discussion on quality of our three goals. The movement and passing was really good to watch. 

‘The problem people have is a lack of quality’

I’m assuming people know the standard there are going to watch, and the players on display? 

I think Bunn has made a terrific start now. Way beyond what I expected with the squad he’s got. An yet he hardly gets a mention,- drowned out by concerns of our passing in a 3-0 away win. 

Its baffling. 

If people care to read whats actually being written right now they will know that the board is abit quieter and their isn't really any moaning going on. Right now people are content with the football and what appears to be stability off the pitch.

The hottest topic of debate right now on this board is what do you marinate you're fish and chips its actually rather nice.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If people care to read whats actually being written right now they will know that the board is abit quieter and their isn't really any moaning going on. Right now people are content with the football and what appears to be stability off the pitch.

The hottest topic of debate right now on this board is what do you marinate you're fish and chips its actually rather nice.

?

Ok. 

I suppose it’s what you care to read about. 

21 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Well yes. But top 7 is the absolute minimum. Give ourselves a chance.  

Going up as play off champs would actually be my desired route. Far more money in it surely? 

Bit nervy though. ? 

With our play off record, I'll settle for the boring route.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Well yes. But top 7 is the absolute minimum. Give ourselves a chance.  

Going up as play off champs would actually be my desired route. Far more money in it surely? 

Bit nervy though. ? 

Fuck, no. We’re in the US for a wedding 18th-31st May. Automatic all day long, please!