Playing style v Results.

If we keep winning the style aspect of it will be forgotten because people will buy into it.

Nothing silences a critic more than success.

I actually think the best is yet to come from this team. I can see the likes of Lang Missilou Surridge Edmondson and Iverson getting better as the season goes on Jose Baxter still hasnt got upto full fitness yet and if he does we will see alot more from him and we still have the likes of Dummigan and Fane to come back in. Plus after using this summers funding to sort out Corneys mess Lemsagam might fancy strengthening further in January.

4 hours ago, adamoafc said:

I really couldn’t care less how we performed aslong as we win. Winning ugly seems to be working at present why change it. 

That is rather dependent on the keep winning bit though...

I always want to see a Latics team taking the game to the opposition regardless of circumstances.

Just win...I dont care how. If we play free flowing football great but not many teams at this level will. If we work hard and are organised we won't be far off and that's what Bunn seems to be getting us do. 

We were doing OK under Ronnie Moore 2nd season who knows we might have kicked on again wth a bit of strengthening but out came the "i won't buy a season ticket with him in charge brigade" and we have barely challenged the top of league 1 since.

I just want to see us win some games it's been depressing scrapping for points year after year. So far so good this season. The season for the first time in many a proper team is going out on Saturday working hard to try and get 3 points and send us up the table.

I don't care if we win 1-0 most weeks,  I don't care if we score most of our goals from set pieces.

Just win it's all that matters. 

It might be nice to support Man City, Real or Barca but we don't we support a bottom tier club in the football league. Some of these player in ours and teams around us could very well not be pro footballers in a season or 2. They aren't superstars so we have to temper expectations. 

29 minutes ago, pukka said:

"Performance" wise, for large periods - Newport was better than Morecambe.

I know which game I preferred - It wasn't Newport.

Exactly. Spot on. 

I don’t get pulling the arse out of any win. Like you say, how many times has the performance been good, but we’ve lost 1-0. 

Bad sides don’t keep grinding out results, or start the season unbeaten away from home. 

At a fans forum Ronnie Moore asked the same question to the audience, "Style or results". No hesitation, I vote results any day of the week. If you're winning games you can start to worry about style, when you're not winning you've got enough on your plate trying to fix that. I'll take ugly, hard fought tense results over playing nice flowing football but losing.

Agree that the two aren't mutually exclusive but at this level we have to have a degree of realism, results breed momentum, both ways. A few of our players seems to be developing a decent bond with their teammates, passing the ball into space for them to run on to, understanding whereabouts each other is on the pitch, holding the right line and turning defence into attack and we're not out of September.

I'd love to go to BP on a Saturday knowing that we've got good players who stick to the system who will play the ball in the right areas and look good doing it but we're a 4th division side trying to arrest a decline many years in the making. At the minute I'm happy with the players giving it a proper go, listening to the manager, z rowing it at the back and playing football in the opposition half. If the results come, then we can make tweaks to the system to 'entertain' a bit more. Nepomuceno's goal the other week came from a lovely flowing move, his running through the middle, no look pass out to the wing, continue the run and slot it home, lovely goal!

I'll happily take "worst team I've ever seen" from every opposition fan as we leave with 3 points, if you want entertainment, go to the circus, as Ronnie was fond of saying. And until there's a column next to points and goal difference that says "Style" stick to ice skating.

I hope we get into a system that eventually does deliver goals, wins and entertainment, but that's at least a season and a half way, for now, steady the ship and start to build.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you finish 12th playing ugly has it been worth it?

Bunn knows the Oldham DNA and has got the chance to put together a team in that mould, he shouldn't waste the chance IMO.

Does he?  He knows what the 'DNA' was for a very brief period in our history when he was involved as a player - for less than two seasons' worth of games.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you finish 12th playing ugly has it been worth it?.

Bunn knows the Oldham DNA and has got the chance to put together a team in that mould, he shouldn't waste the chance IMO.

Surely it's a small steps first approach that we've been taking ? As confidence builds the football will be more acceptable to the "purists" in our midst. For the time being I'm quite happy to take the points and our league position, especially considering what the "Jonahs" were predicting pre-season. I've just watched Saturday's second half and quite enjoyed seeing a TEAM performance which, although not perfection, will go a long way taking us in the direction we all want.

To see all 10 outfield players genuinely celebrating the first goal was great and will stand us in good stead  should it continue throughout the season.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Does he?  He knows what the 'DNA' was for a very brief period in our history when he was involved as a player - for less than two seasons' worth of games.

I'm sure you will disagree but for me the DNA of Oldham is attacking football, loads of shots and balls in the box, wingers, scoring goals and conceding goals, often in equal measure.

Granted we haven't seen much of it in these lean times like but still...

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I'm sure you will disagree but for me the DNA of Oldham is attacking football, loads of shots and balls in the box, wingers, scoring goals and conceding goals, often in equal measure.

Just depends how long your memory is. I can remember Bobby Johnstone, Tommy Bryceland and Simon Stainrod but also Jim Beardall and Dickie Downs. We haven't always played the kind of football we all crave, sometimes we've been pretty shit.    

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Surely it's a small steps first approach that we've been taking ? As confidence builds the football will be more acceptable to the "purists" in our midst. For the time being I'm quite happy to take the points and our league position, especially considering what the "Jonahs" were predicting pre-season. I've just watched Saturday's second half and quite enjoyed seeing a TEAM performance which, although not perfection, will go a long way taking us in the direction we all want.

To see all 10 outfield players genuinely celebrating the first goal was great and will stand us in good stead  should it continue throughout the season.

Of course, ultimately you can only work with what you have got.

I've said that I think that the fixture list has been kind, the fact that three of the teams beaten lie 21st, 22nd and 23rd gives weight to that, if we can maintain the results against the better teams then you can all point and laugh at me.

39 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If you are being honest. In the last 40 years, how many seasons have we played like that?

In october Ive been watching us for 29 years. My first 5 were like that... and since?! No.

15 minutes ago, pukka said:

If you are being honest. In the last 40 years, how many seasons have we played like that?

In october Ive been watching us for 29 years. My first 5 were like that... and since?! No.

A fair point, think fear plays a big factor these days with the shelf life of managers being so short.

Reckon Bunn has an advantage in that sense, he is starting at a club at such a low ebb and realistically this is his one and only crack at management, got a great chance to build a young vibrant team that players want to play for and the town to come and watch.

1 hour ago, pukka said:

I'm very much the same and bar the first Shez years we've not really been attacking, even under Dowie we were tough to beat rather than scoring heavily. 

I'd have said under Ronnie we were significantly more aggressive than a lot of seasons since. 

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

The team spirit is boomin. Little things like Lang’s coffee story or him singing José Baxter Baby are clues as to this.

This. The camaraderie between Lang, Surridge and Baxter seems very apparent. I wonder if Lang and Baxter travel in together, perhaps they may even be from the same part of Merseyside. 

The "French" lads seem to be less cliquey too. 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Of course, ultimately you can only work with what you have got.

I've said that I think that the fixture list has been kind, the fact that three of the teams beaten lie 21st, 22nd and 23rd gives weight to that, if we can maintain the results against the better teams then you can all point and laugh at me.

By beating them though we have helped these teams to the bottom of the table.

13 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Not by me they didn’t. Some people were never good enuf at sports to understand changing room banter.

Exactly. That kind of togetherness forms part of the marginal gains that can give you a bit more of an edge over opposition (Liverpool at home).