Playing style v Results.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I'm sure you will disagree but for me the DNA of Oldham is attacking football, loads of shots and balls in the box, wingers, scoring goals and conceding goals, often in equal measure.

Granted we haven't seen much of it in these lean times like but still...

I will disagree because there is no such thing as a football club's DNA.  It's what everyone wishes for, obviously but isn't that the same for just about every football club?  Wouldn't want to sound like one of those self entitled Cockney whingers who bang on about "the West Ham way" because they played good football for a brief period in the mid 1960s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I will disagree because there is no such thing as a football club's DNA.  It's what everyone wishes for, obviously but isn't that the same for just about every football club?  Wouldn't want to sound like one of those self entitled Cockney whingers who bang on about "the West Ham way" because they played good football for a brief period in the mid 1960s.

Certain clubs throughout the leagues are associated with playing a certain way, I hope we can agree on that.

United in the very long term but they went all pragmatic by appointing Mourinho.  Beyond that?

Things change.  Arsenal were renowned for grinding out boring 1-0s but the Wenger took them into a period of playing exceptionally attractive football and then became utterly ineffective (vs. their expectations).  Spurs like to think they do and so, as mentioned earlier, do West Ham

There are periods when clubs become associated with playing in certain styles but in the long term I really don't think so.   It isn't arguable that the style of our glory years is something we have been associated for much time outside that period.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

United in the very long term but they went all pragmatic by appointing Mourinho.  Beyond that?

Things change.  Arsenal were renowned for grinding out boring 1-0s but the Wenger took them into a period of playing exceptionally attractive football and then became utterly ineffective (vs. their expectations).  Spurs like to think they do and so, as mentioned earlier, do West Ham

There are periods when clubs become associated with playing in certain styles but in the long term I really don't think so.   It isn't arguable that the style of our glory years is something we have been associated for much time outside that period.

This. 

We hounded Ronnie out because fans didn’t like the style of play. Despite good results. If our current form continues, I hope Bunn doesn’t get similar treatment. 

Don’t get me wrong, who doesn’t want to watch good football. But I don’t think we can afford ourselves that luxury at the moment.

Pragmatic winning football is fine by me. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This. 

We hounded Ronnie out because fans didn’t like the style of play. Despite good results. If our current form continues, I hope Bunn doesn’t get similar treatment. 

Don’t get me wrong, who doesn’t want to watch good football. But I don’t think we can afford ourselves that luxury at the moment.

Pragmatic winning football is fine by me. 

You don't get to professional level without being able to play so I don't get this idea that we shouldn't expect good technical football, we absolutely should.

People view games in different ways. Some are quite happy to be bored to tears for 90 minutes as long as the result is ok, others want to see a good game, with the right result being an added bonus. For plenty, the two go hand in hand.  I very rarely come away from a game completely happy if I haven't enjoyed it but we've won, likewise if we've played well and lost.

There's nothing wrong with whichever viewpoint, and it's not really up to anyone else to tell you which stance you should take. If it's entertainment that you're after fine, it the result is all that matters, that's fine too. Personally,  I'm finding the standard of football at this level so poor that having seen all the games so far I can only say that I've 'enjoyed' the second half at Grimsby, but I've been delighted with the result in the other three games we've won.

If the football's boring then there has to be an end product to it, ie promotion. I won't be happy if we chug along and end up finishing eighth or wherever. We're that starved of any success though that I can live with it at the moment as long as it leads us somewhere.

I do think we're improving though, so hopefully there's a lot more to come

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

You don't get to professional level without being able to play so I don't get this idea that we shouldn't expect good technical football, we absolutely should.

I expect a team who play together, for each other and a common goal...to win the game.
A squad full of technically gifted players would most probably play as a disjointed unit, in my opinion.

Maybe one or two technically gifted players in a squad is enough to provide the spark.

Latics have Baxter.
Fully fit and firing on all cylinders, should he not be enough to make the difference?

Just a thought.

32 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

People view games in different ways. Some are quite happy to be bored to tears for 90 minutes as long as the result is ok, others want to see a good game, with the right result being an added bonus. For plenty, the two go hand in hand.  I very rarely come away from a game completely happy if I haven't enjoyed it but we've won, likewise if we've played well and lost.

There's nothing wrong with whichever viewpoint, and it's not really up to anyone else to tell you which stance you should take. If it's entertainment that you're after fine, it the result is all that matters, that's fine too. Personally,  I'm finding the standard of football at this level so poor that having seen all the games so far I can only say that I've 'enjoyed' the second half at Grimsby, but I've been delighted with the result in the other three games we've won.

If the football's boring then there has to be an end product to it, ie promotion. I won't be happy if we chug along and end up finishing eighth or wherever. We're that starved of any success though that I can live with it at the moment as long as it leads us somewhere.

I do think we're improving though, so hopefully there's a lot more to come

I’m happy with either. As long as there are some positives to take, that’s what I’ll take from a game. It’s a very simple way of enjoying your hobby. 

10 hours ago, Wardie said:

I expect a team who play together, for each other and a common goal...to win the game.
A squad full of technically gifted players would most probably play as a disjointed unit, in my opinion.

Maybe one or two technically gifted players in a squad is enough to provide the spark.

Latics have Baxter.
Fully fit and firing on all cylinders, should he not be enough to make the difference?

Just a thought.

I don't know where Baxter plays if O'Grady does.

Playing Style versus Results?

If you take it as a simple binary question then the answer has to be results. But it’s never that simple.

For me, a team of footballers who are confident in each other, who understand each other’s strengths will develop a playing style that works for them. That style is to a certain extent governed by the talent available but also the manager’s approach - often one dictates the other. A team that is winning games will be more confident in playing a more expansive game. A confident player will relax into his game and will be the better for it.

Often a team that gets a winning habit starts to show a better style of play the longer the team is at the top end of the table. 

We are not there yet, but I do see progress. Slowly slowly....

I’ve been to every match bar Yeovil and I’ve spent more time than ever before not actually watching the match. The Football is shit and the division is shit, I’m struggling to care. We fully need, and I fully expect us, to bounce straight back up. But I struggle to see myself cheering it. I’m just acquiesing myself thru the season and enjoying the fact that others seem to be having fun. Crowds are up and should keep going up, so I’ll just soak it all up. The beer I mean.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

I’ve been to every match bar Yeovil and I’ve spent more time than ever before not actually watching the match. The Football is shit and the division is shit, I’m struggling to care. We fully need, and I fully expect us, to bounce straight back up. But I struggle to see myself cheering it. I’m just acquiesing myself thru the season and enjoying the fact that others seem to be having fun. Crowds are up and should keep going up, so I’ll just soak it all up. The beer I mean.

I do spend more time than usual on my phone checking my SuperSix leagues, checking the other scores, where we are in the table and reading texts from (and replying to) mates who could not make the game. 

Still managed not not to miss any key moments...  ?

Edited by TheBigDog

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Its pretty shit league 2 isnt it tbf.

The football is of pretty low quality and the visible gap between teams in league 1 and league 2 sides certainly those near the bottom.

That said we shouldnt underestimate what a promotion this season could do for our football club. What we have been crying out for for years in the league 1 wilderness was a catalyst for change, a season that turns the football club round, this could be it be it.

Ask Man City fans for a pivotal moment in the clubs history and many will point to the 98-99 season. Not because of the players or the quality of football but because what promotion did for their football club to shift them into forward momentum which has lead them to where they are now.

Since the end of World War 2 this club has celebrated 4 promotions.

4 in 73 seasons!

Knowone under 35 can remember the last 1. While knowone who can remember 89-94 will point to a promotion from league 2 as their greatest ever moment as a Latics fan, I still think that people will look back fondly at this season in years to come, if it leads to promotion particularly if it is the moment that changes the club and we start to move forward again to a better future.

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Acquiescing. 

Love it. Top marks. 

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

4 in 73 seasons!

Knowone under 35 can remember the last 1. While knowone who can remember 89-94 will point to a promotion from league 2 as their greatest ever moment as a Latics fan, 

So... we were last promoted in 1991 which is 28 years ago. I Imagine that a few in their early thirties can remember this quite clearly. 

No one under 30 maybe ?

As for getting out of League 2 (the right way obviously ?) - it will still be a pretty good achievement in my opinion and I have seen a lot of good times in the 52 years I have been following my team. 

Edited by TheBigDog

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Knowone under 35 can remember the last 1. While knowone who can remember 89-94 will point to a promotion from league 2 as their greatest ever moment as a Latics fan, I still think that people will look back fondly at this season in years to come, if it leads to promotion particularly if it is the moment that changes the club and we start to move forward again to a better future.

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

So... we were last promoted in 1991 which is 28 years ago. I Imagine that a few in their early thirties can remember this quite clearly. We 

No one under 30 maybe ?

As for getting out of League 2 (the right way obviously ?) - it will still be a pretty good achievement in my opinion and I have seen a lot of good times in the 52 years I have been following my team. 

I'm 34 and I remember us getting promoted. Heck I was 7, and can remember stuff very clearly from when I was less than half that age. I might be a bit unusual though. 

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ask Man City fans for a pivotal moment in the clubs history and many will point to the 98-99 season. Not because of the players or the quality of football but because what promotion did for their football club to shift them into forward momentum which has lead them to where they are now.

Pretty sure the pivotal moment in Man City's history was when they were taken over by Sheikh Mansour and got a gazillion pounds to spend!

44 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Pretty sure the pivotal moment in Man City's history was when they were taken over by Sheikh Mansour and got a gazillion pounds to spend!

He would of settled for the club in London though if City were still languishing in the bottom two divisions, speak to City fans themselves and they will define that Dickov inspired play off final victory over the Gills as pivotal.

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Its pretty shit league 2 isnt it tbf.

The football is of pretty low quality and the visible gap between teams in league 1 and league 2 sides certainly those near the bottom.

That said we shouldnt underestimate what a promotion this season could do for our football club. What we have been crying out for for years in the league 1 wilderness was a catalyst for change, a season that turns the football club round, this could be it be it.

Since the end of World War 2 this club has celebrated 4 promotions.

4 in 73 seasons!

I’m pretty sure you could go back to before WW1 and it would still only be four promotions!

Do you know what else makes me more forgiving of the playing style on offer?

The PR. 

There is a feel good story on the fishul frequently. (Graeme Sharp item today) Broady last week appealing for and promoting the club for sponsorship. They promote the home games- they reinforce it with quotes from Bunn about how important the fans are. They advertised the trust gig at the Milan bar. There feels a genuine concerted effort from the club. 

It may sound trivial to some, but it was one of my gripes for years at the club- no matter how bad things might of been behind scenes at least make the minimal effort to appear together. I honestly don’t think you can underestimate the marginal gains in everyone feeling good about the club. 

Long may it continue.