Colchester United (h)

They will come for a point and hope to nick a goal, it's up to us to put a team out to get at them, Nepo in for O'Grady - push Lang upfront and test their defence with our young energetic forwards.

With regards O'Grady I'm not questioning the guys commitment and application but for me we'd be much better off with Lang and Surridge up top, he offers nothing that those two don't bring to the table and for me can't link up with players like them as well as Baxter, Nepo, Branger and Gardner, he's just a yard behind them and particularly at home I feel we need two strikers who can get at the oppositions centrehalfs just like Sam did yesterday. 

Iverson

Hunt

Clarke

Edmondson 

Taylor 

Nepo

Missilou 

Gardner 

Branger 

Lang

Surridge 

56 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

They will come for a point and hope to nick a goal, it's up to us to put a team out to get at them, Nepo in for O'Grady - push Lang upfront and test their defence with our young energetic forwards.

With regards O'Grady I'm not questioning the guys commitment and application but for me we'd be much better off with Lang and Surridge up top, he offers nothing that those two don't bring to the table and for me can't link up with players like them as well as Baxter, Nepo, Branger and Gardner, he's just a yard behind them and particularly at home I feel we need two strikers who can get at the oppositions centrehalfs just like Sam did yesterday. 

Iverson

Hunt

Clarke

Edmondson 

Taylor 

Nepo

Missilou 

Gardner 

Branger 

Lang

Surridge 

Back 5 and middle 4 will be as above but O’Grady will start up front with Surridge. They worked well together yesterday. 

O'Grady was the supplier for Surridge yesterday. It would be a strange decision to drop him. Plus a bigger lump is always more useful against these second division cloggers.

Also unsure if we can say with certainty that our home form is letting us down when we've only played four games, of which we've actually won two..

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

O'Grady was the supplier for Surridge yesterday. It would be a strange decision to drop him. Plus a bigger lump is always more useful against these second division cloggers.

Also unsure if we can say with certainty that our home form is letting us down when we've only played four games, of which we've actually won two..

Dont think we deserved to lose either of those 2 home games either. Draws, at least, would have been fair. 

57 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Would be silly to drop O'Grady very intelligent footballer/

Sorry but that's just bollocks, I can understand why people would want to keep starting him but personally I think we've done well despite carrying him, can't wait to see Surridge and Lang given their chance up front because for me that's the golden ticket and our chance of automatic promotion.

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sorry but that's just bollocks, I can understand why people would want to keep starting him but personally I think we've done well despite carrying him, can't wait to see Surridge and Lang given their chance up front because for me that's the golden ticket and our chance of automatic promotion.

Do we get either of those first 2 goals yesterday if it was Lang in O'Grady's position? Not sure we do.

On the other hand would we have created more if it was Lang and Sturridge up top all game

59 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Do we get either of those first 2 goals yesterday if it was Lang in O'Grady's position? Not sure we do.

On the other hand would we have created more if it was Lang and Sturridge up top all game

Keep reading about O'Gradys assists, he didn't create those goals Surridges ability and heart and desire did, Lang has done a job for the team out wide but his real position is in a front two and him and he and Surridge could potentially forge a real good partnership, O'Grady in a football sense just isn't on the same wavelength. 

9 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Keep reading about O'Gradys assists, he didn't create those goals Surridges ability and heart and desire did, Lang has done a job for the team out wide but his real position is in a front two and him and he and Surridge could potentially forge a real good partnership, O'Grady in a football sense just isn't on the same wavelength. 

Get your point, to a point. But does the ball get to Sturridge if Lang is in position O'Grady was each time? Not denying Surridge does most of the hard work

17 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Get your point, to a point. But does the ball get to Sturridge if Lang is in position O'Grady was each time? Not denying Surridge does most of the hard work

Theoretically it doesn't but we probably lead at half time if Lang and Surridge start that game up front, it's fine margins even at this level and tactically I personally think we are very naive. 

One thing a centrehalf hates at this level is a forward who has the ability to run at a defence, Surridge and Lang both have this in them, they are also both technically way ahead of O'Grady and I'd like to see them given a chance.

Look at the difference in quality when Baxter came on for O'Grady, straight away he was controlling the ball and intelligently bringing others into play and very rarely wastes a pass.

I know O'Grady is doing a job I just think we could be putting teams under pressure earlier particularly at home, Surridge and Lang as a pairing is untried, all I'm advocating is that they are given a chance and just because we sit 6th in the table it doesn't mean we couldn't be sitting a few places higher.

1 hour ago, wilsonjunior said:

Will be a very tough game. Frank Nouble having a good season with them from what I have read, His goal at the weekend very impressive. Lots of pace and Power. Will certainly need to stop him.

A win will be an excellent result.

Sammie Szmodics is the danger man for me and someone I've always rated, Missilou should be capable of doing a job on him though. Good footballing team who have started well so should be a good game, can't afford a slow start for sure.

On 9/16/2018 at 1:34 PM, yarddog73 said:

Iverson

Hunt

Clarke

Edmondson 

Taylor 

Nepo

Missilou 

Gardner 

Branger 

Lang

Surridge 

Agree with that XI.  The only question is who to play alongside Surridge.  I think now is the time that we can take the shackles off a little and get Lang and Surridge pulling their defence apart off the ball and running at their defence on it.

The thing I'm wary about is whether O'Grady does a lot of the dirty work to give Surridge the chance to run at their defence.  If one of the youngsters can do this for the other then they will be our best partnership.

The fact that we're 6th in the league and are able to leave Jose Baxter on the bench is a fair indicator of how well Bunn has settled things down so far.

28 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

O’Grady is pivotal for us. Anyone expecting him to be dropped for anybody other than maybe Miller is massively wasting their time.

This fixation of having a big immobile lump our fans have is quite scary at times, I wouldn't mind if he had the ability to hold the ball up or win an header but he generally doesn't he is also painfully slow over ten yards.