Swindon Town (A)

10 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Swindon looked good against Yeovil. They’ve a couple of very decent loan players from premiership teams, old wily Marc Richards up front and Diagouraga who dominated us for Plymouth.

far from an easy game 

There are no easy games. And I doubt if anyone would class this as such. Besides, they are on the same number of points as us having scored a goal more but with a worse defensive record...

I guarantee that FB will talk about a ‘tough game against a good side’ in his pre match conference. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

There are no easy games. And I doubt if anyone would class this as such. Besides, they are on the same number of points as us having scored a goal more but with a worse defensive record...

I guarantee that FB will talk about a ‘tough game against a good side’ in his pre match conference. 

Won’t stop a fair few on here thinking we should be steam rolling everybody though 

Tough game this but we are hard to beat away from home so I'm confident we will get a positive result of some sort. 

Amazingly we've only lost once away from home in the league since the end of January and that was at the Pie eaters. 

Good recent record at Swindon as well, unbeaten in our last 6 trips there, winning 3 and drawing 3.

I going for a 2-1 win Surridge and Jose scoring?

4 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

Hope he leaves a player up field when defending set pieces. Colchester had 4 players out of the box at one point and we had all 11 in or on the edge of the 18 yard box... 

including a forward in Lang, who it seems hasn't a clue how to defend.

12 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

Hope he leaves a player up field when defending set pieces. Colchester had 4 players out of the box at one point and we had all 11 in or on the edge of the 18 yard box... 

Agree. This tactic is obviously straight out of the coaching manual as many others do it.

The attacking team typically has the corner taker, their keeper and at least one player back. That means the defending side has 3 more players in the box - an advantage? Possibly but also a potential disadvantage in that players may well fail to take control.

Leave one player up the field (the opposition will pull two back) and one around the edge of the box - whaddya think Frankie?

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree. This tactic is obviously straight out of the coaching manual as many others do it.

The attacking team typically has the corner taker, their keeper and at least one player back. That means the defending side has 3 more players in the box - an advantage? Possibly but also a potential disadvantage in that players may well fail to take control.

Leave one player up the field (the opposition will pull two back) and one around the edge of the box - whaddya think Frankie?

I think the optimum number of players to leave up front is 2.

1 is better than 0, as the out ball or recovery of a agricultural clearance has a better outcome, with similar logic for why 2 is better than 1. However the benefit is lessened by giving teams more space to attack the corner, so 2 is better than 3. Also lots of teams have 2 small players who won't be much good attacking corners but not many have 3, thereby if you leave 2 players up that eliminates an attacking threat as the 3rd defender is needed to cover the 2nd forward. 

It will depend on the personnel though as a side with a small pacy forward who isn't much good defensively, they might as well leave that player up front no matter what. Our starting 11 on Saturday didn't have that player as our forwards were either tall (Surridge, O'Grady, Lang) or decent defensively (Gevaro). 

I would think this topic will have been covered in something like Soccernomics, but perhaps not mentioned in the latest coaching manual. 

51 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Ah right I obviously thought he did. Branger is 6ft so would be "tall" so my point remains somewhat valid. 

Tall doesn't' mean good in the air RM, Lang is 5'11", but I've haven''t seen him win a header  yet.

He's quick though, so his place at corners should be near the half way line.

Having everyone back for corner kicks is a trend which hopefully will soon pass.

The best tactic I saw for counter attacking corner kicks was to leave  right and left wide men and a quick striker up near the half way line to pick clearances.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Tall doesn't' mean good in the air RM, Lang is 5'11", but I've haven''t seen him win a header  yet.

He's quick though, so his place at corners should be near the half way line.

Having everyone back for corner kicks is a trend which hopefully will soon pass.

The best tactic I saw for counter attacking corner kicks was to leave  right and left wide men and a quick striker up near the half way line to pick clearances.

Im sure I saw him win a couple of headers attacking the back post on saturday. But I agree on your general point I wouldnt have him back defending corners in our box hes no use to us there get him on the halfline.

3 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Should be another four figure following, be superb to bring the points back up North. 

1 minute ago, oafcshuck said:

Surprised this isn't being televised, a clash of two former Premier League giants in the fourth tier. 

I wasn't too sure about your posts previously and always gave you the benefit of doubt, how wrong I was.