Swindon Town (A)

Just to offer another view, Bunn has coached young players for a long time now.

The teams he has put together will have been entirely comprised of kids who are as fast as whippets and can chase around all day.

The tactics he has employed earlier in his reserve/academy coaching/managing career are more than likely what he is using now as they will have got him results.

He won't have had an 18 year old Baxter because they don't exist or are at very best extremely rare. Gone are the days when a player put his foot on the ball,had a look around and played a perfect 30/40 yard pass to send a colleague in on goal.

The emphasis now is geared around fitness,speed,stamina and retaining possession rather than encouraging individual talent.

Baxter is fantastic with the ball but in this team useless without it, it is right that he just doesn't fit.

With all due respect, It is a travesty that Missilou or a player of his ilk can command a regular start at the expense of Baxter.

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Fittest squad in the league, best striker has already had three injuries and it has only just turned October...

In the matches I've seen this season it's the opposition who've been hanging on in the last quarter of an hour not us, so it looks to me as if our squad are very fit. 

The fact that one player is plagued by a couple of niggles is symptomatic of his fitness, not the whole team's. Perhaps he needs special treatment to enable him to play regularly.

7 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

In the matches I've seen this season it's the opposition who've been hanging on in the last quarter of an hour not us, so it looks to me as if our squad are very fit. 

The fact that one player is plagued by a couple of niggles is symptomatic of his fitness, not the whole team's. Perhaps he needs special treatment to enable him to play regularly.

Just don't believe it is something that can be measured with enough accuracy.

On 9/30/2018 at 5:09 PM, Bristolatic said:

I honestly don't think we went there for a draw, 0-0 or otherwise. The problem for me was that we had no creative spark in midfield, coupled with the fact that we did the more intricate stuff ok (close passing in diamonds to get out of trouble or to make headway) but then could find the all important pass. It was either over- or under-hit and freely given away. 

Gardner and Lang were classic examples of this; neat intricate ball control, find a team mate, get it back, move it on, leave an opposition player going the wrong way then waste the final ball. It happened so many times, it was frustrating to watch. Defensively, we were mostly ok apart from a a couple of brain fart moments but, to be honest, Swindon only had real chances when we gave it to them.

We should have won it right at the end when from the free kick after Missilou was brought down. O'Grady followed up Baxter's partially saved header and should have buried it. All in all, though, I thought a draw was a reasonable result. We're the first team to stop them scoring this season and point with a clean sheet away from home isn't to be sniffed at.

It wasn't great, Surridge was a big miss, and there is room for a lot of improvement, but keep this sort of points collecting up until New Year and a new signing or two should see us right.

My first game of the season and my daughter's first game ever (2 and half years old, so I did have to keep one eye on her wandering about.  Apologies to the couple sat in front of us if you're on here as you must have had a few stray kicks in the back!).

Agree with all of this Bristol, pretty much summed my thoughts up on it all.  I really don't get the people who say we are set up for 0-0 and play hoofball.  From what I saw we took the game to them, didn't sit back and employed a mixture of direct balls into the channels and more intricate on the deck passing.  Personally I prefer this to an all out passing game, as it means we have the capabiltiy to go more direct if possible.  Once Wellens' team was 'found out' last season we didn't seem to know how to do anything different.  Rather than sitting back or playing for a draw, I found us to play a very controlled and measured game.

Agree on our shortcomings too - we lack quality and incisiveness in the final third.  I don't buy into the argument that Baxter isn't fancied, I believe Bunn when he says he's bringing him slowly back to fitness.  Surridge and Baxter in the team would massively improve our threat.

I had a look at the pre-season predictions thread and there were a couple of people predicting the title, but the rest had us 6th at best with the majority seeming to have us in the bottom half.  Most were underwhelmed with the managerial appointment and I'd say everyone was underwhelmed with the transfer activity this summer, so with that in mind, in my opinion the start has been hugely positive and gives us a great base to kick on from, especially if we can add to the squad in January.  But, sadly, it's 2018 and the trend these days is a demand for instant perfection and success. 

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

Just to offer another view, Bunn has coached young players for a long time now.

The teams he has put together will have been entirely comprised of kids who are as fast as whippets and can chase around all day.

The tactics he has employed earlier in his reserve/academy coaching/managing career are more than likely what he is using now as they will have got him results.

He won't have had an 18 year old Baxter because they don't exist or are at very best extremely rare. Gone are the days when a player put his foot on the ball,had a look around and played a perfect 30/40 yard pass to send a colleague in on goal.

The emphasis now is geared around fitness,speed,stamina and retaining possession rather than encouraging individual talent.

Baxter is fantastic with the ball but in this team useless without it, it is right that he just doesn't fit.

With all due respect, It is a travesty that Missilou or a player of his ilk can command a regular start at the expense of Baxter.

I looked at the 2006 City reserve squad to demonstrate the quality of player he had worked with and got Chef Evans and Garry Breen. I'm sure he'll have coached better development players than a 2018 Jose though.

36 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I don't think he's great but he's not a disaster and much better than Dunn, Kelly etc

One thing you cannot fault but I do think is his doing - is the togetherness of this squad. Can't underestimate it, team effort counts for a lot.

I dont think FB has said yet - and hope he never does, are cliches like 'We were never at the races' or 'It was a bad day at the office'.

Maybe togetherness is the reason?

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

I looked at the 2006 City reserve squad to demonstrate the quality of player he had worked with and got Chef Evans and Garry Breen. I'm sure he'll have coached better development players than a 2018 Jose though.

Of course he will have worked with very good prospects, i was kind of generalizing really.There are not so many talented football players anymore,look at the England squad.

48 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

I don't think he's great but he's not a disaster and much better than Dunn, Kelly etc

One thing you cannot fault but I do think is his doing - is the togetherness of this squad. Can't underestimate it, team effort counts for a lot.

I'm not a total believer in the "PR Spin" about an entirely new squad, albeit partially true, but I do believe a good transfer window in January could really see us kick on.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we are still in 6th  or above by January though.

We probably need 4 players that strengthen the squad, but given the work going on building tem spiirt, it could be more ideal to have just a couple of new faces.

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

Of course he will have worked with very good prospects, i was kind of generalizing really.There are not so many talented football players anymore,look at the England squad.

There are a lot of talented English footballers like Mason Mount, but they are having to ply their trade in the Championship and below 

2 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Baxter's played about 1/3 of our League minutes, and during those, we've scored just over half of our goals. 

Good stat, but for context most of Baxter's minutes have come in the final 1/3 of games when 41.4% of goals have been scored in the league so far this season. Ie whilst undoubtedly Baxter has a positive attacking impact, he's also played most of his minutes in the most 'open' periods of games.

He's definitely not had the impact I'd have hoped for so far and he definitely doesn't look 100% yet. Having said that, his vision and touch as soon as soon as he gets the ball sets him above everyone else on the pitch at this level and if we can get 90 mins out of him consistently he'll have a massive part to play this season.

13 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Good stat, but for context most of Baxter's minutes have come in the final 1/3 of games when 41.4% of goals have been scored in the league so far this season. Ie whilst undoubtedly Baxter has a positive attacking impact, he's also played most of his minutes in the most 'open' periods of games.

He's definitely not had the impact I'd have hoped for so far and he definitely doesn't look 100% yet. Having said that, his vision and touch as soon as soon as he gets the ball sets him above everyone else on the pitch at this level and if we can get 90 mins out of him consistently he'll have a massive part to play this season.

Yep, not pretending it's conclusive of anything. But anyone who has watched us will know we look much more dangerous with JBB on the pitch, and the stats support that. 

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There are a lot of talented English footballers like Mason Mount, but they are having to ply their trade in the Championship and below 

Trouble is BP as good as Mount is,there is not much hope of him getting a chance at Chelsea.

Look how little game time Phil Foden gets at City.

That is why the national team is, with the exception of a couple on the whole rather poor.

Should have been a cap on overseas players at Premier league and Championship level introduced years ago.

6 players per club and max 4 in a match day squad.

The current rule of a 25 man squad that can contain up to 17 foreign players is absolute madness and only serves to lessen the chance of young homegrown talent ever featuring at a high level.

Edited by archiecat

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

My first game of the season and my daughter's first game ever (2 and half years old, so I did have to keep one eye on her wandering about.  Apologies to the couple sat in front of us if you're on here as you must have had a few stray kicks in the back!).

Agree with all of this Bristol, pretty much summed my thoughts up on it all.  I really don't get the people who say we are set up for 0-0 and play hoofball.  From what I saw we took the game to them, didn't sit back and employed a mixture of direct balls into the channels and more intricate on the deck passing.  Personally I prefer this to an all out passing game, as it means we have the capabiltiy to go more direct if possible.  Once Wellens' team was 'found out' last season we didn't seem to know how to do anything different.  Rather than sitting back or playing for a draw, I found us to play a very controlled and measured game.

Agree on our shortcomings too - we lack quality and incisiveness in the final third.  I don't buy into the argument that Baxter isn't fancied, I believe Bunn when he says he's bringing him slowly back to fitness.  Surridge and Baxter in the team would massively improve our threat.

I had a look at the pre-season predictions thread and there were a couple of people predicting the title, but the rest had us 6th at best with the majority seeming to have us in the bottom half.  Most were underwhelmed with the managerial appointment and I'd say everyone was underwhelmed with the transfer activity this summer, so with that in mind, in my opinion the start has been hugely positive and gives us a great base to kick on from, especially if we can add to the squad in January.  But, sadly, it's 2018 and the trend these days is a demand for instant perfection and success. 

Oh, that was you!!!

:D

She wasn't the slightest problem......I think she had more fun lifting up the seats and letting them fall down.

Like I said to you.....been through it with my girls.

:OASISscarf:

33 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Oh, that was you!!!

:D

She wasn't the slightest problem......I think she had more fun lifting up the seats and letting them fall down.

Like I said to you.....been through it with my girls.

:OASISscarf:

at least he warched her a didnt dump her and five of her equally obnoxious mates half the stand away causing mayhem then get upset when a pissed off fan trying to watch the game puts them in there place 

On 10/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, singe said:

I'm not a total believer in the "PR Spin" about an entirely new squad, albeit partially true, but I do believe a good transfer window in January could really see us kick on.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we are still in 6th  or above by January though.

We probably need 4 players that strengthen the squad, but given the work going on building tem spiirt, it could be more ideal to have just a couple of new faces.

This post did not age well either. So soon as well.