Swindon Town (A)

3 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

In stark contrast to Colchester (whom we hadn't beaten in 8 games at home (now 9)) we have a fairly good record down at Swindon/against Swindon.

The last twelve reads 7-3-2 in our favour and it gets better being six unbeaten down there with a 3-3-0 record. 

Oldsw.JPG

You clearly have no idea how Latics work if these stats read to you as a win ?

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

You clearly have no idea how Latics work if these stats read to you as a win ?

I disagree. As a club we usually follow the trends in terms of specific teams ....

We usually f*ck up when everyone expects us to win an easy game, have a big crowd, playing bottom of the league, playing a team whose just sacked their manager, playing a team that's lost eight on the bounce and vice versa beat a team that's won eight in a row, not lost at home all season. None of the previous relates to my post about us having a good record down there. 

21 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

Hope he leaves a player up field when defending set pieces. Colchester had 4 players out of the box at one point and we had all 11 in or on the edge of the 18 yard box... 

I don't think it's a bad idea to try to reduce the chances of conceding from set pieces by having everyone back. We need to improve on the way we push out after a clearance though.

5 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I don't think it's a bad idea to try to reduce the chances of conceding from set pieces by having everyone back. We need to improve on the way we push out after a clearance though.

It's a bad idea if the players they are allowed to push forward are better at putting the ball in the net than the ones we are asking to defend are at keeping them out, Colchesters first was a well rehearsed corner where having twenty bodies in our area was making the flick on near on impossible to defend. Disappointing to concede such a needless corner but compounded by an inability to defend the corner at the near post. 

47 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Fair point but any clearance will go straight to the opposition and we are immediately under pressure again ?

1 hour ago, oafcshuck said:

I disagree. As a club we usually follow the trends in terms of specific teams ....

We usually f*ck up when everyone expects us to win an easy game, have a big crowd, playing bottom of the league, playing a team whose just sacked their manager, playing a team that's lost eight on the bounce and vice versa beat a team that's won eight in a row, not lost at home all season. None of the previous relates to my post about us having a good record down there. 

‘We always beat these.’

53 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Its a game of percentages. Are we more likely to concede from a set piece or from any resultant piece of open play.

Statistics show that more goals are conceded from open play than from set piece plays. This season Latics have conceded 9 in the league conceding 5 from open play, 1 from a penalty, and 3 following corners. 

Interestingly 2 of the 3 goals we conceded on Saturday were following corners...despite bringing everyone back ?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Statistics show that more goals are conceded from open play than from set piece plays. This season Latics have conceded 9 in the league conceding 5 from open play, 1 from a penalty, and 3 following corners. 

Interestingly 2 of the 3 goals we conceded on Saturday were following corners...despite bringing everyone back ?

We didn't clear either of those 2 though, did we? Maybe we can somehow sneak some subs in to help.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:23 AM, BP1960 said:

including a forward in Lang, who it seems hasn't a clue how to defend.

I too am unconvinced by Lang. 

Miller isnt the answer either. At times, when the ball is at his feet he looks like he is trying to thread a needle wearing oven gloves. Although his sidestep on Saturday to get around two defenders when he was adjudged to be offside at 3-3 was sublime.

28 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Lang needs to play as a centre forward or not at all. He had a direct hand twice in Colchester's first goal on Saturday.

Are we in danger if doing an Adam Rooney with Lang by playing him wide?

its just that I can imagine him going to another Division 2 club in January and scoring goals as a striker.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Are we in danger if doing an Adam Rooney with Lang by playing him wide?

its just that I can imagine him going to another Division 2 club in January and scoring goals as a striker.

He will probably be playing higher than that BP and looks the type who could score for fun given the service, never mind though we can look back fondly on the lad who kept him out - Chris O'Grady who scored four in forty starts. :chubb:

He's certainly no wide man but options out wide are pretty thin on the ground.

1 minute ago, Bristolatic said:

I'm pretty sure that Lang said in an interview that he's happy to play out wide, right or left. It's a position that he's fairly used to playing, IIRC

He did, was in his Grimsby preview interview.  I think he said it was his preferred position too as he likes to run at defenders with the ball and that people wrongly assume he'd prefer to play as a striker.

Saying that, for all I know he might well be better suited to playing striker, and he might well just have been saying that as he knows that's where he's getting played!

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He will probably be playing higher than that BP and looks the type who could score for fun given the service, never mind though we can look back fondly on the lad who kept him out - Chris O'Grady who scored four in forty starts. :chubb:

He's certainly no wide man but options out wide are pretty thin on the ground.

Dummigan will be on the right flank soon IMO.