Jose Baxter interview with the Times

Some people have the bottle to take a penalty, some don't. I had 100% record....1/1. Still don't know why I was taken off them. Personally unless you're really good at them ( a la Redfearn or Liddell ) I'd prefer someone running up, knee over the ball and blast it as hard as you can straight at the goalie, hoping you miss him. It's when you overthink things that you miss.

33 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Some people have the bottle to take a penalty, some don't. I had 100% record....1/1. Still don't know why I was taken off them. Personally unless you're really good at them ( a la Redfearn or Liddell ) I'd prefer someone running up, knee over the ball and blast it as hard as you can straight at the goalie, hoping you miss him. It's when you overthink things that you miss.

I've only ever scored once in a proper match, and it was a truly spectacular own goal. I have however been next up in sudden death at Elland Road before the lad before me passed to the keeper. It's fair to say I was having mixed emotions 

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

.....I guess what I'm saying is, your best player is most likely to be your best penalty taker.....

There’s mountains of examples of the best player not necessarily being the best penalty taker. 

Messi being a prime example as I think there was a stat from January that said over his career he missed 1 in 5.

I was surprised Gardner took that 1 earlier in the season and a bit with the free kick Saturday. I wonder if it's a confidence thing maybe Baxter feels he has to earn the right to take them again...maybe it's manager direction cause he's jb  isn't a certain starter.

I haven't seen a player in the lower leagues hit a ball likes Jose can so I'm hoping we see him with some space 20 yards from goal at somepoint  this season

6 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

There’s mountains of examples of the best player not necessarily being the best penalty taker. 

Messi being a prime example as I think there was a stat from January that said over his career he missed 1 in 5.

Ronaldo doesn't have a stellar record either. 

Maradona is responsible for the worst on target penalty I've seen. 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

So if you had Chris Waddle and Andy Liddell in the same side with your house on it...

Liddell never took one in a WC S/F. I'd be happy with either in such an instance.... but I should add, the point isn't lost on me.

I guess another way of supporting the argument is, I - and we - had/have no evidence to suggest Gardner was/is any better, hence I would've given it to our best player under the circumstances @ Forest Green.

Edited by lookersstandandy

I've never taken a penalty in my life. Mind you, I was a goalkeeper. Does that mean I have a 100% record? 0/0.

But, seriously, your best player isn't always your best penalty taker. Think about Leighton Baines, Maurice Whittle, Joe Jacobson as examples. None were their team's best player but, by Christ, they could take a pen.

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

I've never taken a penalty in my life. Mind you, I was a goalkeeper. Does that mean I have a 100% record? 0/0.

But, seriously, your best player isn't always your best penalty taker. Think about Leighton Baines, Maurice Whittle, Joe Jacobson as examples. None were their team's best player but, by Christ, they could take a pen.

All left backs too. Bit harsh on Baines btw he’s won player of the year at Everton twice suggesting he was their best player for a while. 

1 minute ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

All left backs too. Bit harsh on Baines btw he’s won player of the year at Everton twice suggesting he was their best player for a while. 

I'll accept what you say about Baines, but I meant he wasn't consistently their best player over a number of years, but he couldn't half take a penalty and a free kick.

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

i was always lead to believe that GK are really good penalty takers...hardest kickers on the pitch so why there are not more of them wellying it I'll never know.

• 3 weeks later...