David Cotterill update

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45579754

Interesting piece. Very sad that he has such issues away from football. 

Not sure him joining our circus of a couple of months ago would have done him any hood. 

However if he's OK I'd take him any day of the week. Quality player. 

Edited by Londonboy
typo

Be a shame if his illness was the reason behind us not signing him, linked with Lincoln and Bury as well but nothing came if it, quality player no doubt about that - I wish him and his family all the very best for the future whatever he chooses to do, he's a brave man for sharing his story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ceskylatic said:

Cotterill’s legs have gone, can’t go past a player anymore. Not saying Branger is great by any means though I’d like to see what he can do on the left wing.

How is the football over in India? Lucky you...

He looked alright in the open training... Liddell never took a player on but final ball was incredible.

If he's coped all this time with his illness, then manages have no reason to leave him out of a team, because he has proved it doesn't affect his game. I hope FB contacts him again and offers him a contract (unless he wants too much money). He can then get fully fit, before he can play again in January, and be involved in football again.

1 hour ago, oldhamoafc said:

How is the football over in India? Lucky you...

He looked alright in the open training... Liddell never took a player on but final ball was incredible.

I wouldn’t know re Indian football. However, my mate who’s a Birmingham fan knows all about his ability and Billy Big Bollocks attitude from his time there.

15 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Fair enough if it was only a joke, but perhaps take up a career in comedy and who knows you might fill up the Hammersmith Apollo with people with similar piss poor taste as yourself and become rich beyond your wildest dreams? 

I'm there on Friday to see The League of Gentlemen.  I am expecting that to be in really poor taste!

19 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

I don’t want to come across as the forum police or the pc brigade as you are more than entitled to your own views and to make comments how you wish, tasteful or otherwise. 

There are millions of people out there suffering from depression and a whole manner of mental illnesses, some diagnosed and some not as yet. It only takes one of these people to come across comments like yours and finally make that decision to jump off a bridge, stand in front of a train or take that overdose. Sounds like I might be dramatising it a bit, but some of these poor people are that fragile then reading comments like yours could be as little as it takes. 

Fair enough if it was only a joke, but perhaps take up a career in comedy and who knows you might fill up the Hammersmith Apollo with people with similar piss poor taste as yourself and become rich beyond your wildest dreams? 

Perhaps have a think about it? 

You're spot on.

It really isn't in the least bit funny. I see too much of it. It's becoming an epidemic, especially for the under-25s generation. We can barely cope with the rising numbers. It is dibilitationg and incredibly sad for them and those around them.

So called amusing comments from cretins underpinned the stigma around mental health for generations. Thankfully, it's starting to change, but it's a slow process and isn't helped by knobheads who feel they have a right to express themselves freely at the expense of one and all. Insensitive doesn't begin to cover it. Let's hope they, or members of their families, don't suffer from mental health problems. They wouldn't be able to cope.

Well done David for speaking openly. Other players have started to do this in recent years. I really hope you get to the point where you can manage and enjoy life.

I’ve (somewhat hurriedly, as I’m working) binned the majority of this thread since the one man show has been done to death. 

On the basis that people may genuinely want to discuss the issues raised in the article about Cotterill, I’ve left what remains of the thread open. 

3 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

I’ve (somewhat hurriedly, as I’m working) binned the majority of this thread since the one man show has been done to death. 

On the basis that people may genuinely want to discuss the issues raised in the article about Cotterill, I’ve left what remains of the thread open. 

Excellent. And I apologise for my part in it as I probably kicked the whole thing off with my initial response. It really got to me for reasons I'll keep to myself.

As for David Cotterill, I wish him well for the future and hope that he can find peace, resurrecting his career at the same time. Maybe with Latics in January. You never know, it could be just what is needed.

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

Excellent. And I apologise for my part in it as I probably kicked the whole thing off with my initial response. It really got to me for reasons I'll keep to myself.

As for David Cotterill, I wish him well for the future and hope that he can find peace, resurrecting his career at the same time. Maybe with Latics in January. You never know, it could be just what is needed.

Nothing to apologise for BL. It’s important the culture of mental health-shaming stops. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, maddog said:

It’s important the culture of mental health-shaming stops. 

Correct. Thankfully, as more and more public figures speak openly about it, the stigma reduces little by little. This can only be a positive thing.

• Like 2

Whilst public figures speaking openly about their mental health issues is a massively positive step I believe the bigger changes will come about when your average Joes are able to start talking about their experiences in the same way people are able to do with physical or other issues. It's not going to be easy to start with as most people don't know how to respond to someone who says they've got or had depression beyond 'But you're ok now?' or hiding the sharp objects from view. The information available to the general public about depression isn't great and this is only one of many types of issues that are covered by the label 'Mental health'. For some people living with mental health issues it is incredibly hard for them to want to engage with the patchy support services available to them due to the stigma attached to people who have to tread that path. Self referral processes can further delay people from getting the help they need. Often they exist undiagnosed and untreated for years as their condition worsens, their thoughts, behaviours and actions may push loved ones away as it becomes difficult for friends and family to know where the personality ends and the illness begins which further worsens the affects of their conditions.

It will take some brave lads* to take that step and start talking about their conditions, it will also take some just as brave lads to let them speak openly, listen sympathetically and without judgement. Don't be scared of asking dumb questions, many people will happily answer, most ill people can't wait to bore you with all their health complaints and those with mental health issues are no different, but maybe not all the time, when they want or need to talk they will.  *(I know many women are affected, caused a few myself! The demographic of most of the members of this board is largely in the group that would benefit from a more openness around mental health.)

The are far better qualified people on here to discuss this topic, some even get paid for it. People generally do not ask to get ill in any shape or form, within our little community on this board we've seen our numbers affected by cancer, heart issues and all manner of distressing but safe to talk about health issues. Those living with mental health issues didn't chose to do so either but one small thing may have just tipped them over into the mental health community or the chemical imbalances in their brain since birth may have taken decades for the consequences to become apparent and present themselves as a mental health issue.

A 'How you doing?' text, call, visit...etc.. helps anyone with a medical issue, with some mental illnesses a small act of kindness like this can be life changing and might pull someone back from the brink or provide a few moments of relief and a break in the dark clouds. Being able to talk about your mental health issues is one thing, being able to listen to someone else talk about their mental health issues and engaging with them is another, once this step is taken it will be easier for all society to deal with mental health issues.

• Like 1