Notts County (a)

47 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No doubt Bunn has been told to ditch the negative tactics and play to win.

Surridge can go for me.

So the one player who has shown he can find the net  can go? 

Is this another Duffus comment from you-he doesn't show the `raging desire' to play although how you measure this is beyond me. Perhaps you can expand your comment?

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

So the one player who has shown he can find the net  can go? 

Is this another Duffus comment from you-he doesn't show the `raging desire' to play although how you measure this is beyond me. Perhaps you can expand your comment?

By all accounts he took off after the Bradford game and, happy to be corrected if not, hasn't been seen since.

He's already missed more than he has played and it is only November, no good to anyone if he can't get on the pitch.

I rarely get to see Latics play due to work/life commitments. I have though watched them on and off for 40 odd (very odd) years. Ironically, the years when I watched them least were the years of greatest success.

Last night was my first chance to see them play this season and this board and other places have suggested that I have been lucky to escape thus far.

I cant speak for what has gone before, but I can give my opinion on what I witnessed last night FWIW. I understand that, for whatever reasons, there seems to be a change of direction in style of play and team selection/set-up.

I saw a team the was set up to win. They put in a lot of effort and were effective to a point. There was a lack of quality and confidence in the final third, especially in front of goal.

There was, however, the added impediment of a 'keeper who was doing a reasonable impression of the nearby cattle market - he was on fire. I would have been less happy if we weren't creating chances at all. It seems that this, at least was an improvement on what has gone before this season.

We gave the ball away too easily in the middle of the park. I suppose this why some of our players are playing at this level but I can't help thinking that taking care of possession is a pretty basic thing at any level.

I can't understand why one would choose to defend a corner with 11 men behind the ball. It allows the opposition to push everyone forward and allows pressure to build.

As for the players:

Iverson - Didn't have a huge amount to do, but did what he had to well. Particularly shot stopping. I'd like him to distribute the ball a little more quickly.

Hunt - seems a bit lightweight but ok. Looked tired towards the end.

Edmundson - Steady but gets too close and will be turned easily by better players.

Clarke - generally ok and was extolling his team to greater effort, constantly appearing to advise, cajole, instruct.

Taylor - Looked tired from the start but not a bad game. Looks vulnerable to anything in the air. Ducked under a few and was relieved to see cover behind - perhaps he knew they were there!

Lang - Industry to some effect. He and Nepomuceno swapped wings at one point but I'm not sure that it changed much. I fancy he may score a few if part of a front two. Would have to be with someone bigger and (certainly) stronger than him though.

Gardner - Has all the touches and played some decent stuff. More guilty than some of giving the ball away easily.

Lyden - Looks to have a calmness about him and a decent touch. His passes were a bit 'floaty' for my more rustic tastes.

Nepomuceno - Worked hard, some decent runs and crosses.

Benteke - Looked lost when he had the ball and a little time. Miller was coaching him constantly and I think, overall he wasn't terrible. I get the impression that he will score a few given the chance. More confidence needed.

Miller - A pretty good game. I liked the fact that he was talking to and encouraging (sometimes berating) his colleagues. He tried to lead. He never was that prolific but on another day may have had a hat-trick.

O'Grady - Not enough time to see anything of him.

Baxter - No time to do anything. Looked ok in that brief time I suppose.

Frankie Bunn - Put out probably his strongest team on form (fitness permitting) and set them up to try and win. They did try. I would have made a couple of substitutions a little earlier perhaps, but the team were playing well, so it's understandable that he didn't.

My expertise knows no beginning, so these are just my opinions based on one game. I do tend to think that (bad as County were - and they were proper poor) this style of play and set up is the way forward. I suspect we'll win more than we lose. It wasn't a bad game last night. I've been to many (many, many) worse in my time following Latics.

Just one more thing: I wish the Latics fans could think of a song to sing that let's me know what colours we play in - Listened all night and still not sure!

Edited by kowenicki'smoustache
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Surridge situation needs sorting ASAP because allowing the lad himself to decide whether he is well enough to turn out for us is in my book unacceptable and more importantly unprofessional.

Where's this come from? Isn't he just crocked? 

14 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Excellent all round performance by the team. Only thing lacking is the bloody goals!! 

Should have scored at least 4

Their keeper was motm with some brilliant saves. 

We had a solid defence which restricted any attempts at goal. 

Our  wingers actually put some decent crosses in. Miller edged it for me as our motm

Feels like a loss but all credit to the team who did everything but score. 

Badly missing Surridge. 

Few points, our wingers are horrific and part of the problem.

Miller MOM are you on drugs? He had at least three opportunities to square/ lay the ball off for a team mate to tap and spurned them all.

As for Surridge, we can't rely on one player, and that falls firmly on Bunn for his shit recruitment.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd rather have a reason to believe rather than no reason not to.

Bunn did touch on it in the next matches interview, he said he'd finished the Bradford game strong but seen nothing of him since, so the fact Lags backed that up is fair enough to me.

Edited by yarddog73

16 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

0-0

sounds like we were all over them but our strikers are tragically poor so it is what it is

But we knew this in closed season. When we were scratching about for any fucker to come in. The only positive has turned out to be Surridge. And possibly Lang, but the jury is still out on him and we'll never really know while Bunn wants to stick him out wide most of the time.

16 hours ago, rudemedic said:

The number of times we’d have lost that in League one. Get Surridge back and play like that, we will be only going one way, and that’s upwards.

We would've lost it in League One coz it's a miles better standard than League Two. And yet, League One ain't brilliant. Just Bunn is pleased as piss with clean sheets. So it's all ok to be shit in and even shitter division.

As for Surridge...does anyone think he's actually coming back? I don't. Heard a couple of things, one of them being unhappy at ours. You can imagine if AL has been running us like Uncle Simon was, we've most likely not been paying loan fees either. Of course, these are not "fact" but something really doesn't add up about his disappearance (Bunn didn't even know where he was at first.) So no information will lead to next best guesses.

17 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Lots of positives.

Gardner quality again, Lyden looked calm on the ball and cleaned up well. Virtually a full game in Miller. Just need to be more clinical.

Points will come.

I'd love to know how he can be justified as quality? At least twice he got tangled with the referee, potentially once wasn't his fault. 

He pulled out of challenges on at least three occasions right in front of our following. 

Played floating balls far too heavy that even Usain Bolt wouldn't catch and gave the ball away at least ten times. 

Lyden did a great job of sitting so Gardner could express himself more. 

Sure he worked pretty hard and put himself about but quality was definitely lacking from everyone including DG last night 

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

At least we've managed to put a consistent ninety minutes in and it appears every player from 1 to 11 turned up for the first time this season, since O'Grady has been dropped we've had around 30 shots at goal in two games which speaks volumes.

Saw the best and worst of Miller in the game and on another night he goes home with the ball but he's a million miles a better option than our other 'striker' who was on the bench.

The problem we have though is that it's taken Bunn months to work these basics out and you could say we are now a victim of the position that Bunns poor tactics and shocking team selections have put us in, players confidence is rock bottom and all his don't lose at all costs mentality does is drain players mentally.

Next two games are absolutely crucial and nothing but convincing wins will do as the run of games after that looks quite difficult, let's see if Frank continues with the bold attacking approach despite not getting the result last night or reverts back to the insipid shite we were treated too previously.

Surridge situation needs sorting ASAP because allowing the lad himself to decide whether he is well enough to turn out for us is in my book unacceptable and more importantly unprofessional. 

What do u wanna do stand at the side of the pitch with a gun? If he says he isn’t fit, then so be it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omar Don't Scare said:

I'd love to know how he can be justified as quality? At least twice he got tangled with the referee, potentially once wasn't his fault. 

He pulled out of challenges on at least three occasions right in front of our following. 

Played floating balls far too heavy that even Usain Bolt wouldn't catch and gave the ball away at least ten times. 

Lyden did a great job of sitting so Gardner could express himself more. 

Sure he worked pretty hard and put himself about but quality was definitely lacking from everyone including DG last night 

Fair points on DG. That said there was plenty of things in there I thought he did really well that you and many other fail to mention/ notice. He won loads of second balls and I also thought his distribution was much improved. 

However I agree with the other lad sitting he has to get himself in the opposition box.

Edited by welshgaz

8 hours ago, deyres42 said:

By all accounts he took off after the Bradford game and, happy to be corrected if not, hasn't been seen since.

He's already missed more than he has played and it is only November, no good to anyone if he can't get on the pitch.

All speculation. 

When he’s fit. He plays. 

Edited by League one forever

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Fair points on DG. That said there was plenty of things in there I thought he did really well that you and many other fail to mention/ notice. He won loads of second balls and I also thought his distribution was much improved. 

However I agree with the other lad sitting he has to get himself in the opposition box.

Yeah, I'll give you the second ball stuff. Was a refreshing change for us 

21 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Oh yes let’s dance in jubilation as we managed to get 5 shots on target at 22nd in the league. 

Piss off. Absolutely no desire to win that in last 10.

2 mins added on says it all. Another write off of a season, we’re lucky there’s only 2 relegation spots and we scraped those points at the start of the season. 

Bunn out. I’d take anyone.

Read this line several times now, and I'm still struggling to understand it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I'd have dropped him off at Chesterfield on the way home. He's a fraud of a footballer.

20 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'd have dropped him off at Chesterfield on the way home. He's a fraud of a footballer.

I'm sorry,  I know it's your opinion, but if you think Dan is a fraud of a footballer then we really are in the shit, if most of the squad showed even a half of his passion for the game then we would be in a far better position than we are at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I'm sorry,  I know it's your opinion, but if you think Dan is a fraud of a footballer then we really are in the shit, if most of the squad showed even a half of his passion for the game then we would be in a far better position than we are at the moment. 

Not sure you need to apologise. 

It’s very easy to use glib phrases such as ‘He’s a fraud of a footballer’ even if there is no real evidence or truth behind the statement.

*waits with anticipation for someone to trot out that perennial old favourite: ‘He’s stealing a living’. ?

DG our sole creative outlet last night. Some excellent passes and angles. Only passes that weren’t telegraphed. He’s not Pirlo; of course he’s going to be wide of the mark with some. But without him all we’d have is long balls. He has to play. We need to strengthen around him so he was space to distribute - most teams will be much better than that atrocious Notts side was at applying pressure in midfield.