Carlisle United (H)

23 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Gerrard will have a field day against O'Grady if we carry on with the hoofball.

Gerrard will have a torrid afternoon if we can get Surridge running at him...

Or Lang who showed glimpses of ability to put a defender on the back foot when he's drove forward in central positions, this League is full of paceless centre halves but we've managed to find a front two who are incapable of lifting a leg.

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Or Lang who showed glimpses of ability to put a defender on the back foot when he's drove forward in central positions, this League is full of paceless centre halves but we've managed to find a front two who are incapable of lifting a leg.

But there's no sign this season that Lang knows how to score, despite his 10 foe Morecambe last season

I think its fair to say our chances of winning rest fairly heavily on the shoulders of getting Surridge fit. Miller and O'grady shouldnt be on the pitch together unless its 10 minutes to go and we are pumping balls into the box. 

Despite my reservations about Baxters sharpness Id be ok with him coming in in a 3-5-2 but to get the best out of Baxter he needs runners infront of him and in midfield who he can play his killer through balls too.

25 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think its fair to say our chances of winning rest fairly heavily on the shoulders of getting Surridge fit. Miller and O'grady shouldnt be on the pitch together unless its 10 minutes to go and we are pumping balls into the box. 

Despite my reservations about Baxters sharpness Id be ok with him coming in in a 3-5-2 but to get the best out of Baxter he needs runners infront of him and in midfield who he can play his killer through balls too.

Good post 

1 hour ago, laticsrblue said:

But there's no sign this season that Lang knows how to score, despite his 10 foe Morecambe last season

Remember when we played Adam Rooney as a winger and let him join Aberdeen for fuck all because he couldn't score for toffee out of position, cut and paste and the same is happening again, never ever is Callum Lang a winger and a left one at that, absolute waste out there and every team in the division now knows he will be cutting in onto his favoured foot because he can't kick with his left for toffee, he's a striker and should either play upfront or not at all because he's a liability out wide.

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Remember when we played Adam Rooney as a winger and let him join Aberdeen for fuck all because he couldn't score for toffee out of position, cut and paste and the same is happening again, never ever is Callum Lang a winger and a left one at that, absolute waste out there and every team in the division now knows he will be cutting in onto his favoured foot because he can't kick with his left for toffee, he's a striker and should either play upfront or not at all because he's a liability out wide.

I like toffee, me.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

And yet Lang himself has said he's used to playing out wide as well as central. Yes, he'll always cut inside on to his favoured foot, but so does Ashley Young and Eden Hazard as did Chris Waddle. Different class of player I know, but the concept is the same. 

Lang showed a couple of times at Swindon that he can make a mug of a full back, but lacked the final ball. Get that right and he will be a decent all rounder.

23 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I too would like to see this but, he isn't going to change a style/system he's clearly been working & working on and nor should he (as much as I'd like him to). 

He'll largely stick with it and rightly so.

I think Baxter may start but that'll be the only change with the rest of the side set up to remain as solid as they have been. 

And Surridge of course if fit 

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Frankie Bunn’s comments on Tuesday post match suggest that we went 3-5-2 to match up with Mansfield.

With Mansfield having the better of the first half, Bunn switched things up to a 3-5-2 formation to try and get a foothold in the game at half time.The change seemed to work as Latics offered more of a threat going forward and managed to contain the flow of attacks that Mansfield had in the second period.

“We had to change things, or we would have conceded because they were on top, we just tried to match them up and that stemmed it for a large part of the second half. “I thought the switch was ok, it is perhaps something we can look to in the future, we’ve changed things around and ultimately got a point from the game.”

Plan B is here! ?

Edited by TheBigDog

My local Costcutter manager is a season ticket holder for Morecambe and in his view Lang is a striker full stop , never a winger , so if Surridge unfit play Lang next to ( select your own big lump!) and have Dummigan/Nepomucheno on the wing  and (as everyone is saying run ) at Carlisle with some pace

51 minutes ago, rossy52 said:

My local Costcutter manager is a season ticket holder for Morecambe and in his view Lang is a striker full stop , never a winger , so if Surridge unfit play Lang next to ( select your own big lump!) and have Dummigan/Nepomucheno on the wing  and (as everyone is saying run ) at Carlisle with some pace

Costcutter and Latics, 2 words that  unfortunately fit well together  

15 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Just play him up top with O'Grady if Surridge isn't fit. 

If as somebody claimed on the Mansfield thread,the management team are being careful with Baxter due to a hip problem.

Could they not look after him in the second half once he has played 50-60 mins and either scored or help create a comfy 2 goal cushion instead of coming on to play catch up :chubb: