Courtney Duffus

6 minutes ago, mad4it said:

We sold davies, Holloway and McLaughlin all without sell on clauses , however , the point I’m making is that the decision for him (and Fane) being ostracised to training with the youth team wouldn’t have been a decision made by the manager 

Sell on clauses for 32 yr olds aren’t too common... 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, mad4it said:

We sold davies, Holloway and McLaughlin all without sell on clauses , however , the point I’m making is that the decision for him (and Fane) being ostracised to training with the youth team wouldn’t have been a decision made by the manager 

McLaughlin was out of contract, wasn't he?

Just now, kowenicki said:

Sell on clauses for 32 yr olds aren’t too common... 

No but Holloway (25) and McLaughlin (23)  McEleney (25) and Banks all aloud to leave without sell on clauses aren’t 32 though , but again you are missing the point , forcing players out of the club by ostracising them to the youth team wouldn’t have been Bunn’s or Wild’s choice (neither would the signing of Vera, Sylla and Sifel) 

6 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

McLaughlin was out of contract, wasn't he?

Yes but because he was under 23 years of age, we would have received a (development) fee for him and could have included a sell on clause as we did with Micah Richards 

3 minutes ago, mad4it said:

No but Holloway (25) and McLaughlin (23)  McEleney (25) and Banks all aloud to leave without sell on clauses aren’t 32 though , but again you are missing the point , forcing players out of the club by ostracising them to the youth team wouldn’t have been Bunn’s or Wild’s choice (neither would the signing of Vera, Sylla and Sifel) 

I dont care who buys the players. Not one bit. If it’s good enough for a very large portion of pro clubs then it’s good enough for us.  

Managers buying players, when those managers only stick around on average for less than 12 months is and always has been barmy. 

4 minutes ago, mad4it said:

How do you know the full details of these transfers and contracts then ? How do you possibly know if there’s not a sell on with Holloway?

6 minutes ago, mad4it said:

Yes but because he was under 23 years of age, we would have received a (development) fee for him and could have included a sell on clause as we did with Micah Richards 

Are you sure? Is a pro contract different to a youth player? 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

How do you know the full details of these transfers and contracts then ? How do you possibly know if there’s not a sell on with Holloway?

In the same way that I know there’s a 40% sell on clause for duffus 

Just now, mad4it said:

In the same way that I know there’s a 40% sell on clause for duffus 

Oh dear. So cos it was not announced it didn’t happen ? Jesus. If id managed to get a hundred quid for him I’d be shouting it from the rooftops. Hardly surprising they are reporting it, as most people see he’s dogshit. 40% of fuckall is still fuckall 

10 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

You seen the friends episode with Ross and Russ ? Well this is simen corney

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Are you sure? Is a pro contract different to a youth player? 

Pretty much, even though he was out of contract , we would have negotiated a fee for him (because of his age) the same applied to Porter , but he screwed us over by going to Motherwell (so we got sweet f a )

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

You seen the friends episode with Ross and Russ ? Well this is simen corney

You’ve been watching too many soaps , I’m more likely to be the reincarnation of Seth Armstrong than “Simen” Corney !

1 minute ago, mad4it said:

We did receive (or will receive) a development fee for McLaughlin, who has recently moved to Rochdale for an undisclosed fee. 

Teams can agree a sell-on clause as part of that development fee but any development fee that isn't agreed ends up going to tribunal. Where they don't do sell-on clauses. 

Much better to agree a fee, without a sell-on clause. 

Plus I doubt a player who is injury prone and barely played for Blackpool is going to be sold for a profit by Blackpool within 6 months. So the sell-on clause may well be 0.

AL getting a bag of washers for a player who struggled in a pub league lately and who never ever scored a competitive goal for us is a good deal. Nevermind 40% sell-on clause and an undisclosed fee, even if the sell-on clause ends up being worthless. 

3 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the BBC have Duffus to Yeovil on loan. Don't believe all you read in the media.

The official Oldham Athletic site says that Duffus joins Yeovil for an undisclosed fee with a 40% sell on clause 

3 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

We did receive (or will receive) a development fee for McLaughlin, who has recently moved to Rochdale for an undisclosed fee. 

Teams can agree a sell-on clause as part of that development fee but any development fee that isn't agreed ends up going to tribunal. Where they don't do sell-on clauses. 

Much better to agree a fee, without a sell-on clause. 

Plus I doubt a player who is injury prone and barely played for Blackpool is going to be sold for a profit by Blackpool within 6 months. So the sell-on clause may well be 0.

AL getting a bag of washers for a player who struggled in a pub league lately and who never ever scored a competitive goal for us is a good deal. Nevermind 40% sell-on clause and an undisclosed fee, even if the sell-on clause ends up being worthless. 

If you read my post , I stated that we got a (development)fee for McLaughlin, so why not include a sell on clause  , it cost nothing and is an insurance policy should player start to start to live up to their potential (aka Earl Barrett) 

56 minutes ago, mad4it said:

Only if we offered him at least as much as he'd been on previously, which I doubt given his injury record.

6 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Only if we offered him at least as much as he'd been on previously, which I doubt given his injury record.

The development fee is there to protect clubs(like) Oldham from players being poached by other clubs , by simple asking them to see out their contract , do it doesn’t really matter what we offered McLaughlin (if we offered him anything) 

22 minutes ago, mad4it said:

If you read my post , I stated that we got a (development)fee for McLaughlin, so why not include a sell on clause  , it cost nothing and is an insurance policy should player start to start to live up to their potential (aka Earl Barrett) 

Because development fees need agreeing. 

They don't cost nothing, there will be a knock-on effect in terms of the development fee. 

Or do you think negotiating is a unilateral affair?

Just now, mad4it said:

The development fee is there to protect clubs(like) Oldham from players being poached by other clubs , by simple asking them to see out their contract , do it doesn’t really matter what we offered McLaughlin (if we offered him anything) 

Yes it does, to get a development fee you have to offer a player at least the same terms he was on, in writing. 

Look up Gosling's transfer from Everton to Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Because development fees need agreeing. 

They don't cost nothing, there will be a knock-on effect in terms of the development fee. 

Or do you think negotiating is a unilateral affair?

The clubs need to negotiate a fee (in the case of development players), if they fail to reach an agreement the FA will step in (as was the case with Richards) and set a fee 

Not going to pretend to be an expert,  but how can you have a sell-on clause for an out-of-contract player?

The development fee is supposed to compensate smaller clubs for their costs in developing players, and uses a set formula. As I understand it, it's not a contract between clubs, so you can't add clauses to it.

Besides, if the player is out of contract their current club has no power to demand any clauses - they can't withhold transfer of his registration.

But, as I said, I could be wrong. Just think that if this was the case then every single such transfer would include such a clause, because why would anyone not include it?

• 9 months later...

Archived