Cheltenham (H)

The sideways and backwards passing is probably caused by a complete lack of movement up front. Especially when O'Grady is on his own. We need pace up front and someone looking for, and anticipating a through ball. Lang has to play up front, he's a proven goal scorer when playing there, Everyone sees it except our esteemed manager. I hope his confidence hasn't been knocked by not scoring in a league game.

All he has to do is follow the Royle example of scoring more goals than they do.  It is so simple.  I would prefer to have a go and lose rather than this dreary do nothing and win draw or lose because I'm sure we would win more.

What really pisses me off is how bad the standard is in league 2 and our lads are making it even worse.

38 minutes ago, Hands on said:

All he has to do is follow the Royle example of scoring more goals than they do.  It is so simple.  I would prefer to have a go and lose rather than this dreary do nothing and win draw or lose because I'm sure we would win more.

What really pisses me off is how bad the standard is in league 2 and our lads are making it even worse.

Yeah exactly. There's very little quality in this league, so we're setting ourselves up to defend against non-existent threats, at the expense of our own threat. I'd leave the defending to Clarke and Eddie, and get everyone else on the front foot - full backs attacking, no defensive midfielder. Fine, let Gardner or the Villa man play a box-to-box role, but everyone else should be focused on attacking.

58 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

I don't disagree sadly - but he's a new man with a new team. If we can go on another decent run then we will be fine, I do think he's set us up to be strangely defensive which surprised me

The thing is BH it's not much of a new team, that is a bit of spin.

Lets look at the last game v Northampton. The starting 11 plus subs.

Placide v  Iversen. Agree, new keeper, but Iversen has acquitted himself well, no settling in has been required.

Edmundsen, Hamer, Hunt all played. No change.

Clarke for Moimbe (not positionally) the only change in defence, and Clarke is not a new player.

Gardner is still here

Nepo was sub this week, but is playing better this year.

Byrne  & Pringe have gone, Engone & Baxter in their place have been par although I  acknowledge not ripping up trees. Byrne was good early, but not the last few months.

Doyle has left, but Surridge a pretty good replacement, with a similar absence rate...!
Nazon has gone but perm any of the current strikers that are equally un-prolific

Subs wise Benteke and Dummigan are still here, albeit they were not around for the last game. La Paz has stayed and proved able.
Benyu, Davies, Holloway & Odebayi are the ones we lost, ut no great loss.

We had such a large squad , that despite quite a few being released left, we can still easily play a whole team, and certainly 8 or so regulars from last season.

Several new faces are arguably an improvement on last year anyway.

So that's 3 or 4 new faces, but that is no different to any team, even Lincoln who were promoted.

Lincoln have 6 new players who have played at least a third of their games, and 4 of those are virtual ever presents.

15 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Its only one player different and that player has a terrible injury record-not sulking over O'Grady again are we?

Past sulking, it's not the lads fault he probably knows he's out of his depth but you seriously have to question Bunns judgement in persevering with him.