Thoughts on Port Vale and Cheltenham....

I’ve been an Oldham fan for almost 30 years and come to Boundary Park 1-2 times each season (I live overseas) while vising family. This time, I was time I was…um…fortunate enough to watch back-to-back matches against Port Vale and Cheltenham. Here’s my summary for your discussion:

• In both games, Frankie Bunn’s tactics were better suited to away games – he employed two forwards (O’Grady and Baxter) neither of whom are goalscorers. In the second half against Cheltenham, the additions of Miller, Benteke, and pushing Lang even further forward sparked life into the team. No-one around me is a fan of Benteke.
  • A rash of injuries (especially to Surridge) is concerning and surprising
  • Gardner was my man of the match for Saturday; he’s the one midfielder who has the vision (and leg strength) to pass the ball across the field. He also was our most effective attacking option with several shots from outside the box. On Tuesday, he dropped too deep, picking up the ball from Edmundson and Clarke, but he does not lack for effort
  • I would find it difficult to create a starting place for Baxter – he’s not fast enough to be an out-and-out striker and doesn’t have the strength or size to play as a holding or attacking midfielder. Yes, he could unlock a defence with a smart pass (and we certainly could use some guile) but that doesn’t outweigh his deficiencies, even at this level.
  • Our defence will keep us up. Other than Clarke’s penalty aberration on Saturday and Edmundson getting beat in the air on Tuesday, they were very solid. Both Hamer and Hunt weathered some bruising challenges and came forward well to support our attacks
  • Port Vale and Cheltenham were terrible. Despite going 1-0 behind, Cheltenham barely moved beyond half-way and our keeper didn’t have a shot to save. If this is the standard of League 2, there is no reason why we shouldn’t be in the playoffs with a few more goals at home
  • I want the Chaddy End back

Some interesting comments. I haven't seen enough of benteke to form an opinion yet..I said at half time maybe he could become like Wayne Andrews bambi  on ice but got a few goals. Bentekes touch doesn't look great but he had another promising run later more time required.

Baxter is fine as a behind the main striker/ attacking midfield role but he's clearly missing something. He's got goals in that position before but Match fitness confidence what ever isn't there. maybe that spell earlier in his career is the best he will manage. That said maybe he needs a more dominant strike partner than cog.

Gardner is the most frustrating player I have even seen. Ability is there but he's so totally inconsistent and that's from minute to minute. Always seems to go for the Hollywood option as well. He's ok at league 2 level but there's a reason hes with us. Cant fault his effort and has good vision but execution often lacking.

Defence isn't too bad. I do worry we will cash hunt or hammer in this season. Hunt has been doing ok recently to.

The league does look week at times but we are no great shakes either. We don't have a right winger and shorn of sturridge we don't have a real cutting edge. We need more pace in the side and to move the ball faster but we are all sideways and backwards with limited movement