Everton Youth (h)

1 hour ago, Simpo said:

Technically, since the introduction of B teams, so is the Checkatrade. Which is why suspensions from it don't carry over to first team games etc.

I agree in prestige, except we can't field much of a reserve squad! Part of the problem, and the suspensions carrying over was a sop to reduce opposition not because of the grade of the comp!!

6 minutes ago, singe said:

I agree in prestige, except we can't field much of a reserve squad! Part of the problem, and the suspensions carrying over was a sop to reduce opposition not because of the grade of the comp!!

The rules have changed significantly this season around the strength of side we can put out as clubs requested the right to play weakened sides 

16 hours ago, Hands on said:

I suspect the whispers about team selection favour Maouche so would not be surprised to see him allowed to fail again.

If those whispers had any truth surely he would have played more than about 3 games. Surely Nepo would play every week as well? Why would AL be demanding Bunn start the likes of COG every week?

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If those whispers had any truth surely he would have played more than about 3 games. Surely Nepo would play every week as well? Why would AL be demanding Bunn start the likes of COG every week?

He wouldn’t. It’s BS. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, singe said:

Surely the Lancashire Cup and Div 3 (N) Trophy should be classed as Reserve competitions? 

Depends on the season. It was agreed in 62/3 , according to “The Lancashire Cup- A Complete Record” , that “First and second Division clubs should play a Central League strength side or stronger, while third and fourth division clubs were expected to field their full strength team”. 

In earlier seasons, and it began in 1880, teams selections varied and it should be remembered that for many years it was a prestigious trophy to win.  Apparently it wasn’t until 1930/1 that official attendances were kept . Latics’ first home game with official crowds was a 2nd round replay on Monday afternoon, Oct 12 1931. We beat Wigan Borough in a replay, 4-0 in front of 1179.

it’s interesting how closely fought some matches were - the 38/9 tie between Latics and Rochdale went to two replays, each with extra time, before we won . 

Some of the older ones of us will remember the 1971 final , again against Dale. Played at Spotland , Latics lost 1-2 with a crowd of 7003. 

It’s a competition that had some important years but now is very much seen as peripheral ....with crowds to match.

1 minute ago, LaticsPete said:

Depends on the season. It was agreed in 62/3 , according to “The Lancashire Cup- A Complete Record” , that “First and second Division clubs should play a Central League strength side or stronger, while third and fourth division clubs were expected to field their full strength team”. 

In earlier seasons, and it began in 1880, teams selections varied and it should be remembered that for many years it was a prestigious trophy to win.  Apparently it wasn’t until 1930/1 that official attendances were kept . Latics’ first home game with official crowds was a 2nd round replay on Monday afternoon, Oct 12 1931. We beat Wigan Borough in a replay, 4-0 in front of 1179.

it’s interesting how closely fought some matches were - the 38/9 tie between Latics and Rochdale went to two replays, each with extra time, before we won . 

Some of the older ones of us will remember the 1971 final , again against Dale. Played at Spotland , Latics lost 1-2 with a crowd of 7003. 

It’s a competition that had some important years but now is very much seen as peripheral ....with crowds to match.

I seem to remember a full strength Latics side including Bobby Johnstone losing 5-2  to Manchester United in the Lancashire Senior Cup at Old Trafford.  Mind you, their reserve side was probably better than most teams in the first division in the1960s.

8 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

The Lancashire Senior Cup could be a really good competition if organised properly instead of the shambles it is now with some matches played behind closed doors.

Their committee  needs a good  shake up IMO.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I seem to remember a full strength Latics side including Bobby Johnstone losing 5-2  to Manchester United in the Lancashire Senior Cup at Old Trafford.  Mind you, their reserve side was probably better than most teams in the first division in the1960s.

With respect  I believe that must have been  6-1 on 23 Oct 1961 as that was the only time during Bobby Johnstone’s era we played them in the tournament. Either way it was still a big defeat. 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

The Lancashire Senior Cup could be a really good competition if organised properly instead of the shambles it is now with some matches played behind closed doors.

Their committee  needs a good  shake up IMO.

I suspect the organisation of it reflects clubs' interest in it. The County FA hasn't got much power to compel. 

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Glad people are coming round on Miller.

I think he is OK with what I've seen and is good to have in the squad. However the game I watched over in Mansfield he was truly awful but again who wasn't.