Stevenage (a)

I was reminded last night, in the absence of a demonstrative Andy, how passive an approach Bunn has adopted on the touch line.  You could be forgiven at times last night for thinking he had been replaced by a wax copy but then he might slowly remove a hand from his pocket or less frequently turn and move to the other end of the technical area.  The high light of his movement was when he pointed first with one arm and then with the other after we got the third.

Plus mark however for noticing in his insouciant way that the hopeless Maouche needed replacing at half time or did the other players threaten another strike at the break if he wasn't replaced.

Edited by Hands on

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

I was reminded last night, in the absence of a demonstrative Andy, how passive an approach Bunn has adopted on the touch line.  You could be forgiven at times last night for thinking he had been replaced by a wax copy but then he might slowly remove a hand from his pocket or less frequently turn and move to the other end of the technical area.  The high light of his movement was when he pointed first with one arm and then with the other after we got the third.

Plus mark however for noticing in his insouciant way that the hopeless Maouche needed replacing at half time or did the other players threaten another strike at the break if he wasn't replaced.

Always amuses how people grade a manager on how animated they are on the touchline as if bounching around like zebedee was somekind of prerequisite to being a good manager.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Always amuses how people grade a manager on how animated they are on the touchline as if bounching around like zebedee was somekind of prerequisite to being a good manager.

ok when it's Klopp though.

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

Excellent use of the word insouciant. Have an upboat for that alone.

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

ok when it's Klopp though.

If he bounced around like he does and Liverpool were hovering around mid table he would probably get fired and rightly so considering how much resource is at his disposal.

My point is that I think we shouldn't read into how much a manager moves around the technical area (granted what he says is clearly important) Some will be more active than others but just because one is more active than another it doesn't mean they are a better manager. Besides if a manager is constantly having to instruct the players what to do its a sign that they aren't carrying out instructions set out in the original teamtalk or probably not very good.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If he bounced around like he does and Liverpool were hovering around mid table he would probably get fired and rightly so considering how much resource is at his disposal.

My point is that I think we shouldn't read into how much a manager moves around the technical area (granted what he says is clearly important) Some will be more active than others but just because one is more active than another it doesn't mean they are a better manager. Besides if a manager is constantly having to instruct the players what to do its a sign that they aren't carrying out instructions set out in the original teamtalk or probably not very good.

Not in favour of the Ronnie Moore man management style then?

Edited by BP1960

24 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not in favour of the Ronnie Moore man management style then?

If it works then I dont really care too much.

Im sure you have seen yourself all kinds of different types of managers some might be more vocal than others its just down to what works best for them.

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

Doesn't seem to really work for Maourinho!

Bunn says he go tquite animated in the dressing room. FWIW. To be fair to him, it seemed to work

Not sure he should be claiming it won't happen again though!

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/october/31102018-bunn-post-everton-u21/

Given the form of Miller who is looking like he is getting back to fitness and Benteke who has shown that he has a striker’s instinct, Bunn has a choice to make this Saturday. With the continued absence of Surridge and the average form of O’Grady, will he start with Miller & Benteke at Stevenage? 

The other question, easily answered, is will Gardner be back in the middle? His impact last night says that he will.

And Maouche, a clearly talented footballer, may have lost his chance to consolidate a place in the team. Also, Lang may well be dropped to the bench as others seem to have stepped up.

If there no further injuries following last nights comeback against Everton U21, the starting eleven may well be:

Iversen, Hamer, Edmundson, Clarke, Taylor/Hunt, Nepomuceno, Missilou, Gardner, Baxter, Miller, Benteke

Up for it.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

And Maouche, a clearly talented footballer, may have lost his chance to consolidate a place in the team.

It is as clear as mud. He has been here for nigh on 2 seasons and under 3 managers. None so far has managed to get a tune out of him, one good game this year against Bradford boys does not a player make.

Time to do a Menig and recognise he is just not good enough.

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It is as clear as mud. He has been here for nigh on 2 seasons and under 3 managers. None so far has managed to get a tune out of him, one good game this year against Bradford boys does not a player make.

Time to do a Menig and recognise he is just not good enough.

Sadly you may be right - ?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Given the form of Miller who is looking like he is getting back to fitness and Benteke who has shown that he has a striker’s instinct, Bunn has a choice to make this Saturday. With the continued absence of Surridge and the average form of O’Grady, will he start with Miller & Benteke at Stevenage? 

The other question, easily answered, is will Gardner be back in the middle? His impact last night says that he will.

And Maouche, a clearly talented footballer, may have lost his chance to consolidate a place in the team. Also, Lang may well be dropped to the bench as others seem to have stepped up.

If there no further injuries following last nights comeback against Everton U21, the starting eleven may well be:

Iversen, Hamer, Edmundson, Clarke, Taylor/Hunt, Nepomuceno, Missilou, Gardner, Baxter, Miller, Benteke

Up for it.

Has Baxter done anything to merit a start? 

48 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Has Baxter done anything to merit a start? 

He is an enigma. Some of his play has shown flashes of the player we had here a few years ago. At other times he seems to drift out of the game, often underhitting passes and still, for me, lacks sharpness.

However he is a player who can make something happen and I would start him. 

37 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He is an enigma. Some of his play has shown flashes of the player we had here a few years ago. At other times he seems to drift out of the game, often underhitting passes and still, for me, lacks sharpness.

However he is a player who can make something happen and I would start him. 

I was sure he would be a force in this league when he re-signed.  Still waiting for more than the occasional flash of quality...

I say start him, for the song if nothing else.

Edited by U.S. Blues

6 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If it works then I dont really care too much.

Im sure you have seen yourself all kinds of different types of managers some might be more vocal than others its just down to what works best for them.

Struggling to think of a good manager who stands statuesque on the side-lines..

Personal choice, but I prefer it when a manager is animated and kicking every ball.  Shows passion and shows they are engaged in the game.  Offering encouragement and instruction as the game changes can only be a good thing, surely?   Especially when supposedly the manager "doesn't really know what to expect from the division"..