Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
U.S. Blues

Surridge?

Recommended Posts

Once he bags again he will be off and running, confidence is key and especially in a young forward , he has already shown he has plenty of quality and you dont lose that overnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Once he bags again he will be off and running, confidence is key and especially in a young forward , he has already shown he has plenty of quality and you dont lose that overnight.

This for me. Effectively he’s gone a few games without not scoring, not a massive deal, forwards do it all the time. The fact that this correlates with him returning from injury and getting a new contract may well be just a red heading. After all most on here will be aware that correlation doesn’t equal causation.

 

Fortunately for us, other players have been scoring goals whilst Surridge has been in his (temporarily) relative  barren patch. It’s when the other players aren’t scoring as well that sides need to worry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Once he bags again he will be off and running, confidence is key and especially in a young forward , he has already shown he has plenty of quality and you dont lose that overnight.

 

Eoin Doyle pre blood clot

21 games, 14 goals for Latics

 

Eoin Doyle post blood clot;

13 games, 2 goals for Latics

23 games, 3 goals for Bratfud

 

36 games, 5 goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worries with me are that he's not doing things as instinctively as he did pre-exile and, although never originally being over-robust, seems to be "looking after himself" just a little too much now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was good at Maidstone (admittedly limited opposition) 

 

He drags defenders and defensive midfielders around, makes space for others and you can see he is a cut above most 4th tier players 

 

Ultimately though he will be judged on goals scored. Way too early to write him off though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I thought he was good at Maidstone (admittedly limited opposition) 

 

He drags defenders and defensive midfielders around, makes space for others and you can see he is a cut above most 4th tier players 

 

Ultimately though he will be judged on goals scored. Way too early to write him off though

That won't stop our resident scout...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The worries with me are that he's not doing things as instinctively as he did pre-exile and, although never originally being over-robust, seems to be "looking after himself" just a little too much now.

 

If looking after yourself means not challenging for the ball that's not good enough IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

Eoin Doyle pre blood clot

21 games, 14 goals for Latics

 

Eoin Doyle post blood clot;

13 games, 2 goals for Latics

23 games, 3 goals for Bratfud

 

36 games, 5 goals.

But dont you think he just had that one great spell with us and then went back to normal, i work with preston fans and they said how shite he was for them before coming to us on loan

Edited by fleetwood Blue
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I thought he was good at Maidstone (admittedly limited opposition) 

 

He drags defenders and defensive midfielders around, makes space for others and you can see he is a cut above most 4th tier players 

 

Ultimately though he will be judged on goals scored. Way too early to write him off though

 

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

That won't stop our resident scout...

 

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

 

If looking after yourself means not challenging for the ball that's not good enough IMO.

 

Perfect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fleetwood Blue said:

But dont you think he just had that one great spell with us and then went back to normal, i work with preston fans and they said how shite he was for them before coming to us on loan

 

Maybe... but 32 in 69 at Chesterfield would say maybe not.

 

I've no idea how Bratfud are lining up..... but it was as clear as crystal in the shallow waters off a West Indian island on a bright sunshiny day..... that he scored goals while playing alongside a big lad. Then, when he came back, Wellens played him alongside Lemsagam's signing [Nazon] and he wasn't the same. Every week, I was screaming for Davies or Holloway to start with him.... and they rarely did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

 

Unsettling the opposition, letting them know you are there. He did it at Bradford but not since.

 

 

Played well vs Lincoln on his own after the red. 

 

He's a 20 year old kid! Bonkers to expect him to be 10/10, scoring goals every week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

Maybe... but 32 in 69 at Chesterfield would say maybe not.

 

A brief look at the stats seem to show most of those came in the first half of 14/15 which got him a move to Cardiff. 

 

Over his career it doesn’t look like he’s been able to score consistently at all. Strange one given how good he looked for us first half of last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

A brief look at the stats seem to show most of those came in the first half of 14/15 which got him a move to Cardiff. 

 

Over his career it doesn’t look like he’s been able to score consistently at all. Strange one given how good he looked for us first half of last season. 

 

Was he playing up front with a big lad in the 1st half of 14/15 and not thereafter.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

Was he playing up front with a big lad in the 1st half of 14/15 and not thereafter.....?

No. But in 2014 of that season he was playing ahead of a midfield with the likes of Clucas, Daniel Johnson, Gary Roberts and Sam Morsy in it. 

 

Dan Gardner, Ollie Banks and Jay O'Shea were mainly bit part players. Don't think a midfield as good as that would have struggled to create chances. 

 

He went to Cardiff in Feb 2015. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, josh_latics said:

 

Played well vs Lincoln on his own after the red. 

 

He's a 20 year old kid! Bonkers to expect him to be 10/10, scoring goals every week. 

 

This.

 

Fine margins as well isn't it? He takes the extra touch against Tranmere to go round the keeper and he likely scores and we win the game. He possibly then puts the stoppage time chance away as well against Lincoln.

 

It'll come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He hasnt scored in 6 when half fit, so hes now a lost cause. Unbelievable. The kids miles better than this level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youngen said:

He hasnt scored in 6 when half fit, so hes now a lost cause. Unbelievable. The kids miles better than this level

He might be made of Plasticine, maybe we  should call him Morph, but you are right, he has not been fit since the end of September. It seemed like Carlisle was too much in hindsight. Hopefully being eased back into games gradually this time means he's firing on all cylinders now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, singe said:

He might be made of Plasticine, maybe we  should call him Morph, but you are right, he has not been fit since the end of September. It seemed like Carlisle was too much in hindsight. Hopefully being eased back into games gradually this time means he's firing on all cylinders now.

Starting with Bury on Satdee please....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youngen said:

He hasnt scored in 6 when half fit, so hes now a lost cause. Unbelievable. The kids miles better than this level

I don't think anybody is claiming that but as I posted it first I thought it was worth a mention as he's gone from 9 in 9 to 0 in 6.

 

Of course he is better than 99% of the players in this division - not one person has denied his quality and with a bit of luck will play at the highest level, but surely we can raise it on here and discuss? Maybe he'd of been better staying around the squad to get over his niggle than posting himself back on the south coast, he's certainly some way off the player we saw up to the Bradford game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't think anybody is claiming that but as I posted it first I thought it was worth a mention as he's gone from 9 in 9 to 0 in 6.

 

Of course he is better than 99% of the players in this division - not one person has denied his quality and with a bit of luck will play at the highest level, but surely we can raise it on here and discuss? Maybe he'd of been better staying around the squad to get over his niggle than posting himself back on the south coast, he's certainly some way off the player we saw up to the Bradford game.

Maybe Bournemouth insisted on him returning to manage the injury and give him a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prior to coming here on loan, most fans outside Bournemouth, including me, would not have heard of him.  Once he started scoring regularly, the opposition start to  take note.  He will now be considered a threat by teams and will receive more attention from defenders.  He may need to adapt his game to this, which will come with experience, but it should also free up space for others to score.  This is where good coaching becomes important and the time for strike partners to step up to the plate.  It is a team game and all have to contribute.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Whitts said:

Prior to coming here on loan, most fans outside Bournemouth, including me, would not have heard of him.  Once he started scoring regularly, the opposition start to  take note.  He will now be considered a threat by teams and will receive more attention from defenders.  He may need to adapt his game to this, which will come with experience, but it should also free up space for others to score.  This is where good coaching becomes important and the time for strike partners to step up to the plate.  It is a team game and all have to contribute.  

Apart from the 42 games he played last season in league 2....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won’t get the best out of Surridge or Lang while he keeps playing them together with COG up top. They end up drifting wide and out of the game. Both are strikers and need to play more centrally. In a front two pairing (one with COG/Miller and the other a sub). I had thought Bunn had recognised this. But both this & playing his strongest team (available) in that nonsense trophy when we’ve got Bury up next, are some of the reasons Bunn is showing he just isn’t learning from his mistakes. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it really matter if Surridge is not scoring as regularly as previously if we keep on winning?

The irony of this debate is that O'Grady has started to score-thought they were starting to look a bit of a partnership after the Crewe game. Lang will not be moved from right midfield while he is playing well and the team looks balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×