1914/15 Squad

Just now, RoytonLatics said:

Given it's the centenary year for the end of WW1, I was wondering if anyone had information on our players who came so close to winning the old first division. Did any of them go on to fight in the war, did any not return home? 

I'm fairly certain, off the top of my head, that at least one didn't return home. But to be more detailed I'd have to find my team from the town of chimneys book.

21 hours ago, RoytonLatics said:

Given it's the centenary year for the end of WW1, I was wondering if anyone had information on our players who came so close to winning the old first division. Did any of them go on to fight in the war, did any not return home? 

you may find this of interest though as usual we do not get a mention 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46128230

Edited by peanuts

20 hours ago, RoytonLatics said:

Frank Hesham played for Latics from 1907 -9 . 40 first team matches. Lost his life whilst in Royal Garrison Artillery on the western front in 1915, aged 34

Sandy McAllister , 1905-6. 5 appearances. Died from food poisoning when serving with Northumberland Fusiliers in Italy in 1918, aged 39

Can,t find any record of Paddy Galvin ever appearing for our first team. EDIT: Now located him as playing before we entered the League.  In 1905/6 he had 13 appearances , scoring 3 times.

Edited by LaticsPete

On 11/11/2018 at 4:51 PM, LaticsPete said:

Frank Hesham played for Latics from 1907 -9 . 40 first team matches. Lost his life whilst in Royal Garrison Artillery on the western front in 1915, aged 34

Sandy McAllister , 1905-6. 5 appearances. Died from food poisoning when serving with Northumberland Fusiliers in Italy in 1918, aged 39

Can,t find any record of Paddy Galvin ever appearing for our first team. EDIT: Now located him as playing before we entered the League.  In 1905/6 he had 13 appearances , scoring 3 times.

Survived 4 years of hell only to get done by a dodgy carbonara at the end! 

Edited by longtimeblue

59 minutes ago, marhar said:

I found this really interesting, includes a description of a typical Latics fan (aside from the interest in Man Utd?) read by Luke Shaw at 7.25

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11549383/manchester-remembers-city-united-and-the-first-world-war

I posted that on Sunday... look upwards. 

But yes, it is very interesting.