Danny G

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought I had already posted this, but apparently not. He's done for 4-6 months with Acl tear and lateral damage and meniscus (whatever that means). If he needs an op, which they'll decide when the swelling goes down, it'll be closer to 8/9 months...

Serious injury. Feel for Dan G. It’s going to be a long road to recovery but he can come back for next season.

Good luck Dan!

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I thought I had already posted this, but apparently not. He's done for 4-6 months with Acl tear and lateral damage and meniscus (whatever that means). If he needs an op, which they'll decide when the swelling goes down, it'll be closer to 8/9 months...

Same as my wife

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Serious injury. Feel for Dan G. It’s going to be a long road to recovery but he can come back for next season.

Good luck Dan!

Is he out of contract at the end of this season? I'd like to think the club may well offer him some sort of deal to extend for another season? I'd like to think he'd be looked after by the club.

His forms not been the best recently but for me he's always give his best without rocking the boat and still has a young family to support.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nasty one that - might get away without the op if the ACL hasn't gone full. Meniscus on it's own is a few months too. Cartilage injury in old school speak. Good luck to him. How did he actually do it , studs stick in the turf?

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Surprised he is out for that little with those sort of injuries but given it isn't certain that he needs an operation, it's hopefully on the minor side. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Is he out of contract at the end of this season? I'd like to think the club may well offer him some sort of deal to extend for another season? I'd like to think he'd be looked after by the club.

His forms not been the best recently but for me he's always give his best without rocking the boat and still has a young family to support.

Given he turned down an extension in the summer I suspect the club would tell him to piss up a rope unless it suited them

33 minutes ago, Gawbie said:

Nasty one that - might get away without the op if the ACL hasn't gone full. Meniscus on it's own is a few months too. Cartilage injury in old school speak. Good luck to him. How did he actually do it , studs stick in the turf?

He was near the touchline with his back to an opponent turned sharply  and flicked a 10 yard pass to a colleague. It looked like a he'd twisted ligaments to me. He beckoned for help immediately.

He was almost certain to leave in Jan - he definitely wasn't signing a new deal with us. I imagine if we went in and offered him a one year deal now, he would accept it for security, but it wouldn't surprise me if we allowed him to go in the summer...

Other players have been let go when their contracts end and they are injured. It's unfortunate, but it's one of the things that happen to footballers. He may be able to get payments from the union, FA or an insurance policy.

Looked a bad one, injuries where the player goes down after no contact tend to be the worst...

Looked awkward when he did it and immediately though ligaments.

Hope he recovers, in truth I think that's it for him in a latics shirt. I was always Pro Gardner so I hope he stays but personally can't see it.

Wish luck to him wherever he ends up to be honest, worked his bollocks off in a latics shirt and always wanted to drive us on. Always remember the pompey loss in the snow...he was the only latics player out there trying to win, the rest at 0-1 in the horrific conditions wanted to go home and get in bed! 

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Given he turned down an extension in the summer I suspect the club would tell him to piss up a rope unless it suited them

How good would it be if the club did offer him a one year deal, would give some positivity about doing the right thing in a difficult situation for the player and his family  😁

5 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

How good would it be if the club did offer him a one year deal, would give some positivity about doing the right thing in a difficult situation for the player and his family  😁

Nah not having that !! Wish the lad well, however he didn’t want to extend (by all accounts) when the ball was in his court. Why should we ( a cash strapped league two club) pay his wages until he’s fit enough to go and sign for someone else. Like I say it’s unfortunate, but there is no room for sentiment here. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Agreed.

He strikes me as the right type of character to have around the club and in the squad.

Exact injury i suffered a few years ago....extremely painful and a very long way back even with all the support he will get. 

My knee after two seperate ops was, and still is in absolute tatters.

If its a partial tear they will build the muscle around to compensate but my partial tear became a full tear 45 minutes into my comeback so its a risky one. 

His season is over... Id be amazed if hes back in 4 months. 

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Wish the lad well, however he didn’t want to extend (by all accounts) when the ball was in his court. 

Are you saying he was offered an extension to his contract and turned it down? One. I missed that. Two. Gobsmacked we are in a position to offer extension to contract.

I can't see us taking the risk. It could be he suffers a setback in recover. As we have seen with other players, like Baxter and Doyle to name but 2, even once they are back they are not fully recovered and shadows of their former selves for months. So even if it is say 8 months, that's 10-11 before we get him back to current levels. 

Edited by singe

22 minutes ago, astottie said:

Are you saying he was offered an extension to his contract and turned it down? One. I missed that. Two. Gobsmacked we are in a position to offer extension to contract.

Lost me. What’s so unbelievable about offering a contract to someone when their current deal is due to expire.