Danny G

1 minute ago, Stevie_J said:

I think we can forget about Gardner being part of Latics’ squad. Out of contract at the end of the season and won’t have recovered from his injury by then. I’d be amazed if he’s offered a new deal. 

He’ll be offered a new deal on much reduced terms/pay as you play. Decent enough to have as a squad player and seems well respected in the dressing room and a decent fella. Scholes will want that kind of person around the place and then hopefully he gets fit and becomes a better player with scholseys guideance. 

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

I think we can forget about Gardner being part of Latics’ squad. Out of contract at the end of the season and won’t have recovered from his injury by then. I’d be amazed if he’s offered a new deal. 

On loan to Chesterfield prior to a deal. 

It amazes me that people think Maoche is better than him. Its quite clear Gardner doesnt want to be at the club and isnt arsed, yet hes still a better player. Will be in League 1 next year, whilst we are still stuck in league 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, youngen said:

It amazes me that people think Maoche is better than him. Its quite clear Gardner doesnt want to be at the club and isnt arsed, yet hes still a better player. Will be in League 1 next year, whilst we are still stuck in league 2.

He'll be with the same team in league two the following season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, youngen said:

It amazes me you think Gardner is better. Opinions.   He won’t be in league 1. He was poor in league 1 for us. He has spent 4 seasons in league 1, got booked for fun (latterly), struggles to find the net (really struggles!!) and got relegated twice.  Either he isn’t that good or he’s jinxed. 

Edited by kowenicki

18 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

It amazes me you think Gardner is better. Opinions.   He won’t be in league 1. He was poor in league 1 for us. He has spent 4 seasons in league 1, got booked for fun (latterly), struggles to find the net (really struggles!!) and got relegated twice.  Either he isn’t that good or he’s jinxed. 

The players voted him their player of the season last year you must have something about you if your fellow professionals rate you highly.

He's a funny one for me at times he will do something really good then he will follow it up by over complicating something and making a string of bad passes. 

Maouche is a half decent player but I think we need a better first choice starter if we are to go up. He had rings ran round him at Bury the other week. But Id keep him here if he is on reasonable terms because he can do a job for us as a back up Centre mid and Number 10

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, youngen said:

Both Gardner and Maouche are quality players when they are on their game. The difference between them is that whatever Gardner does, good or bad, always seems to be highly visible. Maouche is an extremely talented footballer and a lot of what he does sometimes goes unnoticed - his performance on Saturday was excellent allowing Baxter to play a free role. 

We have five forwards who are skilful and very good technically (Nepomuceno, Maouche, Missilou, Lang and Baxter). The first three of these also work extremely hard closing down and tackling back. As has been said on numerous occasions, what we are missing going forward is that striker... Sam Surridge if only...

The defence has to sort out how to deal with the inevitable and frequent high balls into the area. Iversen gets his share of criticism for not dominating the six yard box ( a fault he shares with Pickford if yesterday’s Mersey Derby is anything to go by) but he is an excellent keeper in the making.

I also like the progress we have seen from Edmundson and Hamer (surely a future centre back) but it is obvious that we are short defensively. There is a long way to go for Scholes but Saturday was an encouraging performance against an awkward and well drilled team.

I’ll be at Cambridge looking for the progress to continue. #actuallyenjoying the footballatthemoment

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The players voted him their player of the season last year you must have something about you if your fellow professionals rate you highly.

POTS in a relegation team. Great.

Gardner imho is a good breaker up of play and a worker who gives 100%, but that's where the good stuff stops because his passing is truly awful. Ive sat at games and actually counted double figures sometimes when he has passed to the opposition. Frustrating player. 

Always thought Gardner best attributes are his pace and work rate.

He should be a winger for me. Got the the engine to get up and down for fun. In the middle he goes backwards to often and takes too many touches. Either that or stick him behind the main striker where he can maybe run onto flicks etc - hes goal record isn't great but he might be able to build on that if given the chance. 

That said I think MM is a better out and out central midfielder. He's a better more reliable passer and holds the shape of the team better - we could do with improving on them both if we want to challenge at the right end for once. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

You do realise that just because someone plays in a relegate/bad/underperforming team it doesn't necessarily mean they are a bad player don't you?

Yes. He is though. Non-league at best.

• Like 1